Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 2/23/2021 9:26:10 AM EST
Need some tires for my wife’s car. She drives a 2018 Ford Escape. Looking for safe, good life, quiet, and something that won’t break the bank. I don’t need car tires that cost $250 a piece...I don’t even spend that much on my truck tires.

What y’all got?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:52 AM EST
Half of GD are Biden-loving communists that would rather you drive a bicycle.

Go to Tirerack and read reviews or the Ford Escape forum and ask there. Two minutes into research and you'll see what I mean.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:36:06 AM EST
Try Walmart they sell name brands that are just for Walmart and are cheaper
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:38:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By aggiehunt:
Need some tires for my wife’s car. She drives a 2018 Ford Escape. Looking for safe, good life, quiet, and something that won’t break the bank. I don’t need car tires that cost $250 a piece...I don’t even spend that much on my truck tires.

What y’all got?
View Quote

Tires experience extreme stresses and forces.
They're your link to the road.
Safety and handling largely come down to tires.

Don't cheap out on your wife's tires.
Having a budget is fine but this "don't wanna break the bank" attitude with critical equipment is pants on head retarded.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:41:20 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

Having a budget is fine but this "don't wanna break the bank" attitude with critical equipment is pants on head retarded.
View Quote

What if his wife has a really good life insurance policy with him as beneficiary?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:41:38 AM EST

What y’all got?
View Quote

The best deal always changes and based on the specific size you are looking for.  Check Tirerack, walmart and Sam's Club (if your a member).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:43:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2021 9:44:26 AM EST by maslin02]
Originally Posted By Atvfd16:
Try Walmart they sell name brands that are just for Walmart and are cheaper
View Quote

I put some of the $40 Walmart specials on our Jeep Patriot years ago to get through the summer. They were so thin I'm fairly certain I could have pushed them on without a tire machine. If you go Walmart avoid the super budget. They held air for the 3 months they were on, we traded the Jeep in.

I've always had good luck with Cooper for a middle of the road option. Not bicycle tires, not Michelin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:45:50 AM EST
I put Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL All- Terrain Radial Tire-245/60R18 105H
on my Edge.
A little spendy at $160 each.

Honestly I only got them because my local walmart closed it's tire shop "because Covid"
otherwise I've had great luck with the Douglas tires there
they would have been about $100 each
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:05:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:

View Quote
yepper pants on head retarded

because over 500K have people have died from buying budget tires
oh wait that the wrong number, I was thinking of something else

I doubt any new tire you can buy from anyplace in the USA is going to be risking the critical safety of anybody.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:
I put Falken WILDPEAK A/T TRAIL All- Terrain Radial Tire-245/60R18 105H
on my Edge.
A little spendy at $160 each.

Honestly I only got them because my local walmart closed it's tire shop "because Covid"
otherwise I've had great luck with the Douglas tires there
they would have been about $100 each
View Quote

I put those on my F150 but I needed some off road and snow capability, OP might be better with a more mild tread pattern.

OP, any major brand just pick the tire that suits your usage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:03:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2021 11:08:14 AM EST by grambosc]
I assume your wife's OEM tire size is 235/55R17.

I would recommend the Michelin Defender T + H, which is available in that size.  All of these that I've bought were made in USA, but you should verify on the sidewall if that's important to you (I always ask).

Discount Tire has them for $168, which seems to be on par for current pricing.

They are the best value of tire life, safety, and cost that I've found.  My wife's CR-V is running on them right now (in a different size).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:04:02 AM EST
The answer is always Michelin. Defender on the lower end or Primacy/Premier/CrossClimate2.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:12:53 AM EST
Need some tires for my wife's car. She drives a 2018 Ford Escape. Looking for safe, good life, quiet, and something that won't break the bank. I don't need car tires that cost $250 a piece...I don't even spend that much on my truck tires.

What y'all got?
View Quote
TOYO EXTENSA A/S II 75,000 mile rated around $118
GENERAL GMAX AS-05 50,000 mile rated around $106
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:16:13 AM EST
I had Michelin Defender LTX on my Highlander and they were great in pretty much all conditions from snow to whatever.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:18:35 AM EST
Cooper Discoverer SRX. They're like $145 a piece depending on size and come with a 75,000 mile treadwear warranty
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:08:46 PM EST
I'll second the Michelin defenders (same tire is sold at Sam's and Costco as X LTs or X AS deepening on size) 70-90k treadlife depending on size or application. Great traction and handling for on road needs and wear well. Budget options would likely be Coopers of some variety.  Research options on tire rack first then look for available promos and rebates.  Costco often runs $100-150 off a set of Michelin, Bridgestone or BFGs on a rotating basis. Costco doesn't sell any cut rate tires.

A Wally world set of "Goodyear's" might not make it 35K
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:24:01 PM EST
My wife drives a RAV4, we put Michelins from Costco on well over a year ago. Smooth ride, still look almost new, didn’t “break the bank,” no complaints.

Costco has great prices on both Michelin & Bridgestone (which is what was on it from the factory). They usually have either one or the other on sale (I think $40-off per), alternating between the two every month or two. The Michelin’s had a noticeably smoother ride than the factory Bridgestones that it came with. They also offer free rotation & road hazard. If you schedule ahead, they can do the work while you shop.

Batteries are priced good too, and also have free replacement within the warranty period (not even prorated, straight-up free).  

If you don’t have Costco, you’re paying too much.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:26:36 PM EST
Check out BF Goodrich.

Advantage T/A Sport LT

Great all season quality tire.  They even have the highest snow rating for a non-specific snow tire.

I even put a set of these on my older BMW.  They look kind of goofy but are solid tires.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:13:06 PM EST
So many will work.

I have used low-cost Nankang SP9's on large SUV. Seem to be ok, considering the price.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:26:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2021 1:31:46 PM EST by Beclyn]
I went with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails on my Forester. So far, I'm very happy with them. They're no BFG's, but they also don't have the weight or cost of BFG's either.

Edit: she might not want or need an all terrain tire, so disregard my suggestion if it doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:43:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By guyina4x4:
yepper pants on head retarded

because over 500K have people have died from buying budget tires
oh wait that the wrong number, I was thinking of something else

I doubt any new tire you can buy from anyplace in the USA is going to be risking the critical safety of anybody.

View Quote

You win most retarded post of the month. Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:21:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/23/2021 5:22:44 PM EST by grambosc]
Originally Posted By kalalp:
Check out BF Goodrich.

Advantage T/A Sport LT

Great all season quality tire.  They even have the highest snow rating for a non-specific snow tire.

I even put a set of these on my older BMW.  They look kind of goofy but are solid tires.
View Quote

I have these on my Tacoma since there are currently no Michelin Defenders made for its tire size (I had Defenders for the last set but wore them out in 75,000 miles).  They are very capable all season tires.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:23:47 PM EST
Michelin LTX
Top Top