Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2020 1:01:48 PM EDT
Is it legal?

Slide only, no serialized parts, no small parts.

Whats more is, with the new ITAR changes, does that affect things?

Non ffl to non ffl, by the way...  need to have work done.

'Advice' please, no comment or legal binding here.

Thanks in advance!
JP
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The ITAR changes are domestic and mostly covered in Country manufacturing not exporting an item most likely on the  US munitions list.
I would think a semi-auto slide still requires approved license from DDTC.

Check for updated US mutinous list.

Edit: out of the game a while but the only exceptions were for “sporting arms”.
Semi auto handguns were previously not considered “sporting arms” and subject to ITAR.
Only firearms I remember exempted were revolvers, Pump, lever, break action, bolt action, type firearms. Possibly a few semi auto “sporting” shotguns.  No semi auto pistols or long guns were exempt.

Edit 2:
ITAR covers nearly all parts for a restricted item.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks, but the slide doesnt fall under the " firearm" portion because its not serialized, not is it an "inert" munition.

Appreciate the info though!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The ITAR changes are domestic and mostly covered in Country manufacturing not exporting an item most likely on the  US munitions list.
I would think a semi-auto slide still requires approved license from DDTC.

Check for updated US mutinous list.

Edit: out of the game a while but the only exceptions were for “sporting arms”.
Semi auto handguns were previously not considered “sporting arms” and subject to ITAR.
Only firearms I remember exempted were revolvers, Pump, lever, break action, bolt action, type firearms. Possibly a few semi auto “sporting” shotguns.  No semi auto pistols or long guns were exempt.

Edit 2:
ITAR covers nearly all parts for a restricted item.
View Quote
You are correct...

ITAR BS

Category 1
*(g) and (h)

Crapola...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The ITAR changes (which do not take effect till next month), covered mostly export. The major changes were to make US companies more competitive for foreign sales. Some items were taken off the USML and that affects MFGs who may no longer need to ITAR register.

Relevant regulations for what OP is doing can be found here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/123.17
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ITAR changes (which do not take effect till next month), covered mostly export. The major changes were to make US companies more competitive for foreign sales. Some items were taken off the USML and that affects MFGs who may no longer need to ITAR register.

Relevant regulations for what OP is doing can be found here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/22/123.17
View Quote
Thanks Renegade.

I had read this when it was released a few weeks back, which is why i guess i thought it was ok to do so....

However, im not a licensed exporter, i dont even have an FFL, so im still unsure if what i want to do is legal or not.  Mainly due to poor reading comprehension and due to the way they word these types of documents.

Guy i want to do the work doesnt seem thrilled about it anyway, so i guess ill just have to look for a competent machinist in the states.

Very much appreciate everyones help though!!!

Sincerest thank you to all!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been lurking for a while, and have always contemplated the American POV of this topic...

While firearms laws are obviously different, they're similar at least in the sense that we can both own them (firearms) because we don't live in Communist countries.

To hopefully shed some light on this subject, there are a number of items & firearms that us Canadians would love to purchase from you - but simply aren't allowed (Prohibited). Suppressors being the most notable.

Then there are items that our country will allow us to have, but have to go thru a "process" to allow it's entry - like magazines being pinned. All firearms coming in get checked for compliance & theft.

Everything else firearm-related (coming or going) is generally not regulated per-say, especially when it comes to used goods... Barrels, BCG's, scopes, nightvision, etc. Nothing, except incoming receivers/firearms.

Nobody has control over what I sell or to whom. It's completely up to the buyer to ensure it permissible into their country, if it gets held by their "Customs" agency - not my problem.

* I guess the only question I have is - Does ITAR, the Dept. of Commerce, or Dept. of State have any authority over (private) sales, other than a serialized firearm or suppressor, IE: not a business ?

Cheers !
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
* I guess the only question I have is - Does ITAR, the Dept. of Commerce, or Dept. of State have any authority over (private) sales, other than a serialized firearm or suppressor, IE: not a business ?
View Quote

If the part is on the US Munitions List, DOS/DDTC regulations apply. Whether it has a Serial Number or not is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#10]
To sum it up. You’ll need to find an exporter/importer.  There’s a cat in AZ that also owns a place in AB that may be able to help.  @TacticalConcepts or @Striker are a couple of our brothers to the North and may know some folks that can help too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To sum it up. You’ll need to find an exporter/importer.  There’s a cat in AZ that also owns a place in AB that may be able to help.  @TacticalConcepts or @Striker are a couple of our brothers to the North and may know some folks that can help too.
View Quote

There is a small parts exemption for Canada. I think it is $500.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is a small parts exemption for Canada. I think it is $500.
View Quote

Correct.  A stripped slide probably would fall into that category as a bolt however, the problem may be on the receiving end.  
For an example.  A standard stripped M1911 slide probably would not be an issue, but a stripped M1911 Defender slide may be an issue.  

Personally, I would reach out to someone in the import/export business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top