Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2019 9:39:42 PM EDT
There is nothing special about aisle seat 18D on Delta Air Lines Flight 2876 from Atlanta to New York.

No extra legroom, free drinks or priority boarding.

But try to reserve it for a January weekend getaway and a price tag pops up: $59.99. One way. On top of the ticket price.

Seat 18D is an ordinary aisle seat on American Airlines, too, but it'll cost you $39 one way to reserve it on a flight between Dallas and Boston in mid-February. Prefer 12D a few rows up? That'll be $43. 12E,  a lowly middle seat, is going for $36.

Seat selection fees, once the province of no frills discount airlines like Spirit and Allegiant, have become big business for major airlines – and a source of frustration and confusion for travelers.

They are prevalent and pricey at American and Delta, and United starting selling them on Dec. 14, a move the company announced in August. United appears to be starting slow, with limited seats per flight and an initial fee of $9 each way, according to a spot check of routes by USA TODAY.

The seat assignments for sale are "preferred'' seats, so named because they are in areas of the plane airlines say passengers prefer, such as aisle and window seats closer to the front.

United President Scott Kirby, a pioneer of seat fees when he was president of US Airways a decade ago, has long said paying different prices for seats on a plane, even if the only perk is getting off sooner than other passengers, is no different than paying higher prices for seats closer to the front at a concert or sporting event.

Brett Snyder, a former airline employee who writes the Cranky Flier blog and runs a travel service called Cranky Concierge, calls that a "completely ridiculous comparison.''

"It's not like you need a view of the pilot here,'' he said.

TODAY IN THE SKY: November route roundup: Where airlines are adding service

Bob Denny calls preferred seats a ripoff. Denny, who lives in Ohio and travels overseas for his job as an anti-terrorism assistance instructor for the U.S. Department of State, says he paid about $65 for what he thought was a seat upgrade on an Atlanta-Paris flight on Delta partner Air France in September.  Like many business travelers, he paid for the "upgrade'' with his own money to stay compliant with his company's travel policy.

For that price, Denny figured he was in the extra legroom seats in the front of the economy cabin.

He wasn't. He had purchased a "preferred'' aisle seat in what he called the "sardine'' section. He tried to get a refund but has had no luck.

"I think it's a fleecing,'' he said. "There's nothing preferred about it.''

Airlines get plenty of questions and complaints about preferred seats on social media.

The government doesn't require airlines to disclose seat fee revenue as it does with bag fees and reservation change fees, and airlines don't publicly break them out. (Except for Southwest, which doesn't assign seats but took in $358 million from its version of a seat fee called EarlyBird check in.)

Veteran travel analyst Henry Harteveldt, co-founder of Atmosphere Research Group in San Francisco, estimates seat selection fees generate "well north of'' half a billion dollars a year for large airlines that charge them.

"It could be substantially higher,'' he said.

Harteveldt says he recently booked a flight on an airline on which he doesn't have elite frequent flyer status (elite members generally can book preferred seats for free.) When he pulled up the seating chart, all that was available to reserve without extra charges were center seats.

"I coughed up about $48 to have a window seat,'' he said.

TODAY IN THE SKY: First look: Delta shows off first Boeing 777 retrofitted with new cabin interior

Jay Sorensen, president of airline consulting firm IdeaWorks and an expert on airline ancillary revenue, said the the adoption of seat assignment fees in the last two years has been surprisingly rapid.

"The big three – American, Delta, United – have been going down this path of copying the playbook from the low cost carriers,'' he said.

Sorensen says airline seat fees are now a strong second to baggage fees (when you include fees to upgrade to airlines' economy seats with extra legroom and other perks. Delta calls it Comfort Plus, American, Main Cabin Extra and United Economy Plus.
View Quote
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2018/12/19/united-american-delta-preferred-seat-fees/2293721002/

Booked a United flight last night to the west coast and got whacked with a $18 fee cause I chose a wing seat.

Wonder what more they will be coming out with...
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't pay to choose seats   (small) perk of being an extremely frequent flyer
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Airline pricing and fees are verging on satire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Just recently booked four tickets to Ireland myself. They assigned seats in a manner that forced me to move just about all of the seats to even get it with two together. Random seats are blocked off to make sure you have to upgrade to a much higher level to do it. Total bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Without fail, every time I decide to pay a little extra for a specific seat... the second I sit my ass down some random lady starts begging me to switch seats with her scared kid so they can sit closer to each other

I usually give in out of decency... but NEVER AGAIN lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I read that as seat ejection fees!

I need to go to bed!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just recently booked four tickets to Ireland myself. They assigned seats in a manner that forced me to move just about all of the seats to even get it with two together. Random seats are blocked off to make sure you have to upgrade to a much higher level to do it. Total bullshit.
View Quote
What airline?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Capitalism dont hate
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]
How much to let me lie down on the floor, serve me drinks --  and wallow in my own filth ?

p.s. I'll pay extra to not wear pants
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Somebody's gotta pay Screechjet scratch
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What airline?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What airline?
American
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Next time I need to fly somewhere, I'll hit up a Congressman to accompany them on a military flight for free.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
It would suck if I didn't have my status (Exec Platinum) on AA.  Nice getting complimentary upgrades to business.  When I travel international it's only $350 extra plus 25K points to upgrade.

ETA:

Also have a membership to expert flyer.  I always check seat upgrade availability for both status and mileage redemption.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
What if you pay more for specific seat
then a stewardess makes you move?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Without fail, every time I decide to pay a little extra for a specific seat... the second I sit my ass down some random lady starts begging me to switch seats with her scared kid so they can sit closer to each other

View Quote
I always say no.  I picked the seat I picked because of my own reasons.  Invariably when I ask "what seat is yours," they point to a middle seat, next to a crying baby, large person, or other major annoyance.

Yeah, they didn't pay the fee....I picked early and got something I wanted.  Why should someone who didn't pick early and got saddled with a shit seat get my less shitty seat because they are begging?
The most powerful word in the english language is "no," by the way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I love Southwest..... I'm in my 20th year of traveling for a living.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't pay to choose seats   (small) perk of being an extremely frequent flyer
View Quote
Delta Diamond checking in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought tickets on AA and when I was selecting my seats there were seats that where $30-50 more for select seats and $80 more for select seats but these included complementary booze. I did not pay extra for the seats I wanted though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just bought tickets on AA and when I was selecting my seats there were seats that where $30-50 more for select seats and $80 more for select seats but these included complementary booze. I did not pay extra for the seats I wanted though.
View Quote
Complimentary drinks was MCE ( Main Cabin Extra ) - more leg room.

The others are just more desirable seats - i.e in a  fire exit row, ecc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Meh when you're diamond on Delta you get a good seat. But their 6 levels of boarding is crazy and gay, but I think they just changed it.

And F United from O'hare
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
These are the reasons (along with TSA) that I will drive 3 days to avoid flying for 1.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
ETA:

Also have a membership to expert flyer.  I always check seat upgrade availability for both status and mileage redemption.
View Quote
This. If you fly a lot, this helps make it better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Being retired with a nice motorhome beats the HELL out of flying. Service in a snap form the copilot. If we crash it's only a few feet to the ground. No TSA. Guns everywhere. Boxerdog. Creative chef level dining. Rental truck is attached to motorhome. I flew our airplanes for years and years. This is better.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Suckers.

I charter a Gulfstream.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:59:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Meh when you're diamond on Delta you get a good seat. But their 6 levels of boarding is crazy and gay, but I think they just changed it.

And F United from O'hare
View Quote
9 group boarding on AA these days.

1-4 are 1st class and the elite levels, 5-9 are steerage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These are the reasons (along with TSA) that I will drive 3 days to avoid flying for 1.
View Quote
I hate airports and the TSA as much as the next guy but if that 3 days is one way and you're really driving six days to avoid flying for 2 days (round trip)...that's just dumb when you consider food on the road, all the gas, lodging for four or five nights, etc.

Been flying off and on for over 40 years.  Only once have I just flown ONE way.  I'd wager most travelers have similar flying histories.  Leaves one to question your logic.  Nothing personal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How long is the drive to Hawaii?  
View Quote
Went once. Not impressed. But you got me!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree.  Stuff stolen, unsafe radiation from backscatter machines, the "loving" fondling of your junk.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I've not flown in a very long time... are we saying you have to pay extra to get seated together?... as in you buy two tickets and they just throw both persons on the plane randomly..?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I always say no.  I picked the seat I picked because of my own reasons.  Invariably when I ask "what seat is yours," they point to a middle seat, next to a crying baby, large person, or other major annoyance.

Yeah, they didn't pay the fee....I picked early and got something I wanted.  Why should someone who didn't pick early and got saddled with a shit seat get my less shitty seat because they are begging?
The most powerful word in the english language is "no," by the way.  
View Quote
I've never had to ask someone to switch seats, but I would turn right around and ask the annoying fuck beside me to switch with my kid that was next to you. Then I would order a double Jack and Coke, give a cheers to you and smile the whole fucking flight.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Booked a United flight last night to the west coast and got whacked with a $18 fee cause I chose a wing seat.

Wonder what more they will be coming out with...
View Quote
Safe arrival fee.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
You get an $18 hand job.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm flying home for $34 and I don't care what seat I get....its a 12 hour drive otherwise.  What's to be enraged about?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:27:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Ha Ha!

Sounds like the Ticketmaster concept is taking over airline seating sales!

Soon, preferred customer 'select' seating option sales starts at 10am 30 days before flight departure.

Let them trade 'miles' for the widow seats!
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love Southwest..... I'm in my 20th year of traveling for a living.
View Quote
I don't dislike Southwest more than any other airline,  but the open boarding takes too damn long. When I was single, it had perks.

I dislike airports, I dislike the tiny seats (I'm 5'10", toothpick build), I dislike TSA, and for anything less than 8 hours, I'm driving.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Seat fees are no different than resort fees that hotels charge, only that for now if you get a seat in the back or middle seat, there is likely no fee.  Five years from now I expect all seats will have some type of fee and you won’t be able to avoid it.  And don't get me started on resort fees which can sometimes literally double the price per night and you must pay it if you want to stay at the hotel, even if you don’t want access to the exercise room, two bottles of filtered tap water and 3mbps internet that isn’t secured.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:32:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've not flown in a very long time... are we saying you have to pay extra to get seated together?... as in you buy two tickets and they just throw both persons on the plane randomly..?
View Quote
I always wonder how that works with a mom and small kid.

Mom just tell the stewardess good luck and takes a seat several rows away?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:35:26 AM EDT
[#38]
I love southwest
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
In that case, you can actually request a refund of your premium seat selection price, and may get offered flight or drink vouchers, or some frequent flyer miles as additional compensation.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just a few minutes from Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Being retired with a nice motorhome beats the HELL out of flying. Service in a snap form the copilot. If we crash it's only a few feet to the ground. No TSA. Guns everywhere. Boxerdog. Creative chef level dining. Rental truck is attached to motorhome. I flew our airplanes for years and years. This is better.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your not wrong.

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Airline pricing and fees are verging on satire.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never had to ask someone to switch seats, but I would turn right around and ask the annoying fuck beside me to switch with my kid that was next to you. Then I would order a double Jack and Coke, give a cheers to you and smile the whole fucking flight.
View Quote
Someone's triggered.

In your example, I'm stuck next to annoying asshole either way....why move for it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#45]
At this point, if I'm flying alone, I just say fuck it and buy a First-Class ticket if it's halfway affordable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#46]
So fuel prices have plummeted, did the price go down?  No fucking way, but just wait until the next
rise in fuel cost and the airlines will be crying about having to raise prices.

The problem with the airline industry is that there just isn't enough choices to allow a true free market to work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lousy, but its not like I'd get separation anxiety over over not sitting with my wife. I do understand the kid angle though.

Eta: The airline fatty threads have more staying power. OP may want to fold fat somewhere in the title.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#49]
1) Fly SouthWest.

2) Wear a soft cast on your foot.

3) ?????

4) Profit by getting on first and choosing any seat on the plane.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
At least the last time that I had this happen, I got free drinks for the entire flight out of it b/c I said no the first time, and eventually said yes when a flight attendant ask if I was willing to move.

I didn't have to pay for my aisle seat either, Alaska Airlines is great!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top