Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2022 7:00:44 PM EDT
I lost 30 pounds recently, and unfortunately still have what looks to be 10+ more pounds around my midsection.  Holding steady at 160lbs currently.

I'm about 6 weeks into stronglifts 5x5 and it's going well, besides my right shoulder not being 100%.

I kind of want to drop enough to get rid of the spare tire, but also don't want to kill progress in the gym either.  I've been reading up on body recomposition in a calorie deficit/maintenance and it sounds like it will probably slow progress way down.  Is bulking the best whey to go?

I know there are lots of variables, just wanted some outside thoughts and opinions.  I'm sure some of you have been through it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I think when most guys try a recomp they slash carbs and really hammer protein.

Kind of forces your body to use what you give it.

You might consider switching to something with a little bit more volume in varying rep ranges too. 5x5 is great...but it turns into a grind and you won't be putting on slabs of meat.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Six weeks isn’t long enough.  People fail because they give up on proven programs to quickly.  

Hitting macros and calories is most important, but micro nutrients and timing do matter.  

Eat most of your carbs around your workout.  Low glycemic carbs before workout and fast digesting carbs immediately after workout.  Reduce carbs on rest days and at other times.  

Add cardio, time your carbs correctly,  and eat enough protein and healthy fats.  Give the program more time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to be like that.
170# of chewed bubblegum....while I was running marathons.

What worked for me:
A lot of lifting, I like Oly so I did a lot of that, some PL, and yes- some crossfit.
For diet, I would do some intermittent fasting and paleoish eating. I wasn't insane about it, but basically ate meat, vegetables, some fruit, etc. No empty calories like bread, pasta, sugar, except for a cheat meal once a week. It was not keto (though keto works too) but it was lowish carbs, moderate fat, high protein. I got carbs from things like sweet potatoes.

At my best composition I was 5'9" and 188# and 10.5% BF. Keeping in mind I was not in the gym for hours at a time, working full time, and my goal was a blend of strength and conditioning.

This recomp took...probably 2 years or so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info.  Thanks guys.

Not planning on quitting 5x5 anytime soon.  At least until I really start struggling to increase weight on the bar.  I finally hit a milestone tonight, full 45s on each side of the bar for squats.  

My diet is looking good overall.  I've been eating fairly clean for a while. Haven't changed much since I started lifting, other than adding occasional protein shakes and bigger portions of meat.

I just wasn't sure how much growth I'd be giving up while lifting at maintenance calories/calorie deficit.

I feel great, and I'm finally getting some use out of all the home gym equipment I bought (and wasn't using ).  We'll see how it's going in another six weeks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good info.  Thanks guys.

Not planning on quitting 5x5 anytime soon.  At least until I really start struggling to increase weight on the bar.  I finally hit a milestone tonight, full 45s on each side of the bar for squats.  

My diet is looking good overall.  I've been eating fairly clean for a while. Haven't changed much since I started lifting, other than adding occasional protein shakes and bigger portions of meat.

I just wasn't sure how much growth I'd be giving up while lifting at maintenance calories/calorie deficit.

I feel great, and I'm finally getting some use out of all the home gym equipment I bought (and wasn't using ).  We'll see how it's going in another six weeks!
View Quote

Just remember, when you start spinning your wheels with 5x5, it's done, don't keep ramming into that wall.

There's a million other programs and progression systems out there, and that's when you switch. If you cling to i, you're going to be tired and frustrated.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just remember, when you start spinning your wheels with 5x5, it's done, don't keep ramming into that wall.

There's a million other programs and progression systems out there, and that's when you switch. If you cling to i, you're going to be tired and frustrated.
View Quote

Will do, thanks.  I went with 5x5 because of the simplicity of it, especially using the pro app.  I needed to start doing something instead of nothing.

I'll be looking into other programs so I have a plan ready to go when needed.  I'm totally open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Will do, thanks.  I went with 5x5 because of the simplicity of it, especially using the pro app.  I needed to start doing something instead of nothing.

I'll be looking into other programs so I have a plan ready to go when needed.  I'm totally open to suggestions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like Greyskull LP, Phrak's variant.

It's a good primer to 531 because on your last working set each day you are pushing an AMRAP, helps to gauge progress through your deloads, and you'll be more used to that method when you switch over to 531 later.

It's also relatively quick, so you have time to hit some volume work or conditioning for 10 minutes at the end.

I'll typically run it with no alternating days, so every other week I'll deadlift twice. Then do 10 minutes of some sort of conditioning when I'm through.

It's pretty easy to stay motivated on it through a few resets, because you have a goal to shoot for each time on your way back up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top