Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But the OP themselves qualified their question with this:  ETA: I'm OK risking the money in an investment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless someone has a better money market fund or high yield savings recommendation, you are already doing the right thing OP.

People recommending you invest your EMERGENCY FUND in stocks or crypto are either high or illiterate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We have a winner

The people who consider the equity market as a place to park emergency funds are foolish.

But the OP themselves qualified their question with this:  ETA: I'm OK risking the money in an investment.

"My wife and I have a sizeable emergency fund"

Actually, this is what they said.  They said they want ideas on how to invest an emergency fund.  An emergency fund is the antithesis of risk capital.  The terms "emergency fund" and "risk" should not be used in the same sentence.

In addition, one should consider whether 3 months is an adequate period to finance.  Bear markets can last for years, possibly a decade.  Having to sell shares into a bear market is a recipe for going insolvent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@SpudCrushr

Tax implications?  I have a couple of brokerage accounts, and thought of putting it in an ETF, but was concerned with tax issues.
ETA: I'm OK risking the money in an investment.
View Quote

Worry of taxes on investments is overblown.

As stated, you are only taxed upon gains. Additionally, short term cap gains are at the same rate as earned income. You get the benefit of a lower rate if you've held for more than a year. So that's better, but the rate for short term isn't like they are penalizing you any more than they do for you showing up to work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Three months of expenses? I'd not only leave it right where it's at, I'd add to it. Investing is important, but ready cash has a value all its own.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I Bonds are a good choice for money you can't risk. The fixed rate is really low but they pay a variable rate tied to inflation. They aren't taxed until you cash them and that can be 30 years from now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I took some GD advice several years ago with some funds sitting idle in an ira from an old job. I split it up using the 3 fund portfolio method and I'm up probably 40% from what otherwise would have not changed a cent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#11]
S&P500 index funds like VTI
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your emergency fund needs to be left exactly where it is, or placed in a money market account with check writing privileges.

Anything else goes against entirely what an emergency fun is supposed to be.
View Quote

Or get a HELOC set up just in case for true emergencies.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]
First off, I appreciate the replies and responses.
I'm hearing a lot of folks suggesting I need more capital, and that I shouldn't invest it, etc.

I will clarify a few things.

1.  This savings account is NOT the only savings I have.  I have $3k set aside for vacations, which obviously can be used for emergencies as well.
2.  I have over $20k in cash in the safe.
3.  I have over $18k in another bank account I've been saving to finish my basement.
4.  We have no debt other than the house.  My 457B is fully funded, as well as a fully funded SIMPLE IRA through my training company.
5.  I have about $50k in guns and ammo I could sell if I HAD TO.

Since the money can be pulled out of a brokerage account without tax penalty (at least the initial investment), it would seem to be smart to have it earning something in a S&P Index Fund or other similar ETF with a low expense ratio (not in some volatile stock obviously).  I was more curious if others are doing this vs. leaving it in a savings/money market account earning 1% (losing 2% to inflation).

I understand there is risk to investing it, even in a stable Index Fund.

Either way, I appreciate the input and advice.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Crypto.

Voyager will pay 5.5% interest on as little as 0.01 BTC. Or as much as 8.5% on USDC stable coin ($100 deposit required).  There is an app and it’s linked to your bank account for transfers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I’m dealing with mid-sixes so...    
View Quote

In a safe, insured, completely liquid account?   Which one?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I hope you don't have several savings accounts because they touch the $250K limits.

View Quote

I'm unsure what you mean by this.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you don't have several savings accounts because they touch the $250K limits.

I suspect the $250K limit being referred to is the coverage provided by FDIC insurance.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Take it and put it all into VOO.  It’s safe, has a dividend, and will beat your returns by a very big amount.

I did this back in March when the market crashed. No regrets.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Risk tolerance? Stock market is fairly liquid (couple business days to sell and move the money). You could put it in a fund or blue chip stocks. Fairly safe, modest returns. Semi-protected against inflation.

The problem is risk is rewarded. If there was a risk-free way to get 6% on your money, everyone would do it. The higher the return, the more risk you must take on, generally.
View Quote

Most utility companies are paying 3.5 to 4.5%
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Bitcoin is the new savings account
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm hearing a lot of folks suggesting I need more capital, and that I shouldn't invest it, etc.

1.  This savings account is NOT the only savings I have.  I have $3k set aside for vacations, which obviously can be used for emergencies as well.
3.  I have over $18k in another bank account I've been saving to finish my basement.
4.  We have no debt other than the house.  My 457B is fully funded, as well as a fully funded SIMPLE IRA through my training company.

Since the money can be pulled out of a brokerage account without tax penalty (at least the initial investment), it would seem to be smart to have it earning something in a S&P Index Fund or other similar ETF with a low expense ratio (not in some volatile stock obviously).  I was more curious if others are doing this vs. leaving it in a savings/money market account earning 1% (losing 2% to inflation).

View Quote

So what's the point of your " emergency fund" if you have $20k cash sitting in a safe not making any interest at all? Why not just bump up the cash in the safe to 3 month's of expenses, and take your emergency fund and invest it in whatever your normal investments are?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suspect the $250K limit being referred to is the coverage provided by FDIC insurance.
View Quote

Ahhh.  This is my emergency savings.  It's not 250k
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So what's the point of your " emergency fund" if you have $20k cash sitting in a safe not making any interest at all? Why not just bump up the cash in the safe to 3 month's of expenses, and take your emergency fund and invest it in whatever your normal investments are?
View Quote

It has a different purpose.
Like all of my savings accounts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good god man.  30 dudes went down 30 rabbit holes only to find out that your facts on the ground made your original question at best irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Emergency fund. 3 months. Sounds like you should leave it in the savings account.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Good god man.  30 dudes went down 30 rabbit holes only to find out that your facts on the ground made your original question at best irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.  

What is the actual 3 months of personal household expenses since there's no mortgage?  
#1: you have dedicated savings accounts yet none of those dedicated accounts has enough for dedicated things so you feel poor.  Even though the total would more than cover it.
#2: you don't want to touch that because reasons.  If you had to use it for an emergency, no longer is there $20k in the safe.  So what's the point if you can't ever touch it?
#3: what's the timeframe? Look into T-bills or CDs that mature out to that timeframe IF they pay better than your MM account; if not, leave it there.
#4: Don't include Business expenses as they shouldn't be part of your personal finances.  
#5: if forced to liquidate some, probably get less than you think because that's just how it works everyone wants your Unobtanium PG-17 Model A Mark 3 when ya don't want to sell it, crickets when ya do
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
THIS.  

What is the actual 3 months of personal household expenses since there's no mortgage?  
#1: you have dedicated savings accounts yet none of those dedicated accounts has enough for dedicated things so you feel poor.  Even though the total would more than cover it.
#2: you don't want to touch that because reasons.  If you had to use it for an emergency, no longer is there $20k in the safe.  So what's the point if you can't ever touch it?
#3: what's the timeframe? Look into T-bills or CDs that mature out to that timeframe IF they pay better than your MM account; if not, leave it there.
#4: Don't include Business expenses as they shouldn't be part of your personal finances.  
#5: if forced to liquidate some, probably get less than you think because that's just how it works everyone wants your Unobtanium PG-17 Model A Mark 3 when ya don't want to sell it, crickets when ya do
View Quote
Reading comprehension is a thing.
You guys should try it sometime.

Gotta love GD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Reading comprehension is a thing.
You guys should try it sometime.

Gotta love GD.
View Quote

Clearly, you are smarter than the rest of us here, and you should be telling us all how to manage money rather than asking opinions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
In the last month I bought quite a bit of airline stock figuring that the demand is going to be huge with Covid fading away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@SpudCrushr

Tax implications?  I have a couple of brokerage accounts, and thought of putting it in an ETF, but was concerned with tax issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Risk tolerance? Stock market is fairly liquid (couple business days to sell and move the money). You could put it in a fund or blue chip stocks. Fairly safe, modest returns.
@SpudCrushr

Making money and having to pay some taxes on it beats the alternative.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#31]
OP - it sounds like you are simply looking for a place to park the money with the best chances for asset preservation.  Stay the course with the money market fund but shop around for the best rate.  Also, bump that emergency fund up to at least six months.

Remember everything is liquid in a sense - the only caveat is the price at which the underlying asset can be liquidated regardless of timing albeit during a market rally or severe sell off.  Any monetary asset can be liquidated fairly quick - you just might not get the value you want.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Crypto is not necessarily "liquid". For those who want to buy crypto, there's only three legitimate exchanges to choose from: Coinbase, Kraken, and another one. Coinbase is by far the most popular and secure, but when purchasing bitcoin or another alternate from them directly they hold your money (even after having your account fully confirmed and when purchased via ACH transaction) for a minimum of two weeks. There's even commentary from others on different sites (most notably Reddit) where people claimed Coinbase held their money for up to two months. During that holding period, you cannot withdraw your crypto to your linked bank account (you can only buy, sell, or exchange within Coinbase). No one really talks about that, so be aware that it isn't a "same day" kind of deal with Coinbase.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Couple things...

For my household expenses 3 months is about 10k. Is chasing rate of return even worth messing around with considering the amount of funds your dealing with.

Is it an emergency fund or an investment? For me emergency encompasses everything from job loss to home repair to shtf. One step with zero 3rd party interaction is the primary concern.

You can always deposit money but can you always take it out and how long does that take?

ETA: didn’t read far enough to see OP’s update.

You are in a good spot IMO. You really have 38k emergency fund right now until you pull the trigger on the basement. I personally would be ok with keeping the 20k in the safe and not worrying about it. That’s exactly our six month emergency fund and how we store it.

It sounds like you have a good amount of discretionary spending every month. Why not keep your 3 month or increase to 6 in cash then just start another account investing x/month in something that’s worth chasing the return on?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]
BTC
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#35]
how did you manage to get "sizeable savings" and not know what to do with it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your emergency fund needs to be left exactly where it is, or placed in a money market account with check writing privileges.

Anything else goes against entirely what an emergency fun is supposed to be.

I wished you hadn’t quoted my post and suggested this.

That’s terrible advice. Sure,  You can treat you house like an ATM, but why? Taking an appreciating asset and converting to cash for the purpose of emergency is downright folly.  Definitely a poor mans move.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Liquid, low risk, decent return.

You only get to pick two.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Dude, you have cash in the safe.....there’s your emergency fund.....

Holy shit if 20k doesn’t cover 3-6 months, you must have a king air on standby....... good hell.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a really good financial guy. My IRA made 14% for the year last year and his track record over a few decades is amazing. I started helping with my grandmothers finances a few years ago and the first quarterly review I sat through I was highly impressed. Way better than my current guy(s) were doing.
That being said, I am slowly moving my money into the same fund as my IRA. I will have to pay taxes yearly on the money made. I would rather pay taxes on that 14% to 21% than only make 1% leaving it in a bank. The downside is it may take 3 business days to get in my checking account if something bad happens.  That is what CC's are for though!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You can buy Bitcoin and sell it the same day. Is that liquid enough. Ride it to $100k and then sell.
View Quote

Just don't use an app like RobinHood to do so... their "unsettled funds" bullshit will have you waiting a week on either side and potentially fuck you out of profit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In a safe, insured, completely liquid account?   Which one?
View Quote

Yep, fdic insured savings accounts.   There’s lots of deals providing a higher yield but, they tend to have restrictions ($25k limits ect) on them.

It doesn’t do you much good to pursue these deals (if you have a larger amount of cash) unless you’re willing to open up and manage 20 different savings accounts. How much hassle are you willing to take for an extra $1000 a year in interest?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top