Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevOps:
Removed NRA link. Lol. Nice.
View Quote
Fuck yes.

Actual improvement.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Who do we email to get our GOA and SAF Life Member icons?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you remove the Facebook associated ad network tracking script? I can’t help but notice I viewed a post about nuclear reactor cooling during power loss events here earlier today and suddenly Facebook is feeding me ads with “nuclear power” as key phrases. You're essentially telling Facebook every post we look at which is really cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bobbybananas:
Can you remove the Facebook associated ad network tracking script? I can’t help but notice I viewed a post about nuclear reactor cooling during power loss events here earlier today and suddenly Facebook is feeding me ads with “nuclear power” as key phrases. You're essentially telling Facebook every post we look at which is really cool.
View Quote
I doubt Goatboy would any sort of FB tracking and I see no connections to any associated FB addresses logged in or out.

The more likely scenario (and the one that's actually happening here because that's what FB does) is they're tracking you through browser cookies and like buttons, Facebook 3rd party logins, etc. Nothing to do with Arfcom in particular.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Good work goat. Makes me happy to be a paying member.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:32:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#9]
Still say you need a quick clock feature that will ignore all posts except for OPs post in a thread so people can quickly catch up on a multi-page thread without having to scroll through every page looking for highlighted posts.

Thanks for the continued work.

Edit:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-way-to-view-only-OP-posts-in-a-thread/2-2181934/
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:26:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobbybananas] [#13]
Originally Posted By davisac:

I doubt Goatboy would any sort of FB tracking and I see no connections to any associated FB addresses logged in or out.

The more likely scenario (and the one that's actually happening here because that's what FB does) is they're tracking you through browser cookies and like buttons, Facebook 3rd party logins, etc. Nothing to do with Arfcom in particular.
View Quote
That is not what’s happening. The ad network that jams the ads between posts is exchanging data with Facebook (or already owned by Facebook). Facebook can’t go access arf com cookies to track me here and I’m pretty sure there’s no like/share buttons embedded on arf com pages. This leaves the ad script.

Edit: I do this crap for a living and know when I’ve been noticed by an ad network from a search or content I’ve browsed. Either Facebook completely broke its internal ad system and its coincidentally gave me an ad with keywords highly associated with the niche topic I was browsing only on arf com 5 minutes prior or the arf com ad script is exchanging data with facebooks ad system.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I just tried a 3.7mb jpg to try the image upload changes and get a file size error. 2160x2160 dimensions.

Link Posted: 8/29/2019 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GoatBoy:

Hmmm that could be possible. Do you know which ad network is doing that? We broke it down to top/mid/bottom and they are all different. None should be doing this, but the top network is running a new system. We can reach out to them once we know where the issue is.
View Quote
Sorry I don’t know which ad network it is specifically. I suppose a way to test would be to spin up a vm with a virgin browser, on a new ip if possible. Setup a few dev branches of arf com forums, each with only a single ad network included. Browse arfcom, go to Facebook, log in, and see if any ads pop in your feed related to the threads you just viewed vs your Facebook accounts associated interests. Ie the ham radio stuff might be distinct enough. Hop over to a new vm with fresh browser etc and jump to the next branch of arfcom with the next ad network etc, browse another unique forum/threads (different from last session). Avoid using search engines etc on these vms as well to remove any chance of their ad networks influencing the Facebook served ads.

I have no clue what ad networks Facebook has their fingers in these days, but assume it’s 25%+. And it’s not always readily apparent who they own or have a stake in for data sharing. This is why I suggested that tedious process to zero in on it manually.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I see the Ham Crew icon has a point of contact.  Still no point of contact for SAF or GOA?   I'm trying to get to 37 pieces of flair!!!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
I see the Ham Crew icon has a point of contact.  Still no point of contact for SAF or GOA?   I'm trying to get to 37 pieces of flair!!!  
View Quote
Where are the contacts for any of these?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top