Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2020 7:34:04 PM EDT
Sorry if this is dumb question, but are there lower end/mid level Shimano MTB single speed cranksets with a square taper?  

The square taper all seem to be 2x or 3x.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  You could just buy a new bottom bracket and crank.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a cheap 2x and run bash guard on outside and single on inside.  Can do the same with a 3x, might need to use spacers on mid ring to get your chain line where you want it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy a cheap 2x and run bash guard on outside and single on inside.  Can do the same with a 3x, might need to use spacers on mid ring to get your chain line where you want it.
View Quote
I would probably just buy an external BB (hollowtech II is simple and cheap) crankset.  

There are tons of old square taper triples that can be converted to a single, but I don't know how available narrow-wide chainrings are in the right bcd.  The square taper cranksets I've seen tend to be 110 bcd and most narrow-wide rings I've seen are 104 bcd, which is the modern MTB standard for the stuff I use (Deore).
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are running single speed.  You don't need a  narrow/wide chainring, so that opens things up a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top