Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2022 2:59:53 PM EDT
I have this IRA from a previous employer dating back 15 years.  It is a Prudential (PGIM) and the paperwork says "Mutual Fund Statement" and Simple IRA with the group name being my previous employer.

I forget about this every year until tax time, and usually get a 1099DIV.  This year, no form and online shows "no forms available", so I hope I am not incorrectly assuming that this is not taxable this year????

Anyway, I am thinking about cashing it out for another investment product, how can I do this or what should I do with it to avoid any tax penalty?

It is roughly $12K.

Thx gurus.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]

*mis-read. Your reinvesting, could change the rules instead of a true "cash out". Age can play a role in early withdraw penalties

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have this IRA from a previous employer dating back 15 years.  It is a Prudential (PGIM) and the paperwork says "Mutual Fund Statement" and Simple IRA with the group name being my previous employer.

I forget about this every year until tax time, and usually get a 1099DIV.  This year, no form and online shows "no forms available", so I hope I am not incorrectly assuming that this is not taxable this year????

Anyway, I am thinking about cashing it out for another investment product, how can I do this or what should I do with it to avoid any tax penalty?  

It is roughly $12K.

Thx gurus.
View Quote
Similar story here...
I have an IRA left over from my last employer from like 6+ years ago (I think its at Fidelity) that only has a few K in it.  
I'll never add more. But I'm not sure what to do with it either.
No matter what if I just cash it out, the govt will eat the biggest % in tax and early withdrawal penalties...  
I was told if I did it right, I could "Roll it over" to another IRA or 401k and not get taxed or penalized, but if I cashed it out just to buy stocks out put it in savings I would get Cornholed....
The company I work for now, does not have any IRA or anything like that, so rather than let the govt eat it, its staying parked.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Oddly enough, I don't know where or how this account came into being.  When I was fired "layed off", they cashed me out of my profit sharing account, the minute it was fully vested.  I put the money in the bank and then at tax time, whammy!  I then put all of that into the IRA contributions box on my tax form until my taxable income went back to normal, and then put it in my retirement IRA in my bank.

I max out that contribution every year for the taxable amount, so that is why I may need additional advice on this money.  It is just too out of sight and unmanageable for me at PGIM and would like to put it where it has visibility, in some JP Morgan Chase managed things and/or E-trade, since they are now the same entity.

I am mid 50's, I am not sure that comes into play other than the IRA investment limit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Similar story here...
I have an IRA left over from my last employer from like 6+ years ago (I think its at Fidelity) that only has a few K in it.  
No matter what if I just cash it out, the govt will eat the biggest % in tax and early withdrawal penalties...  
I was told if I did it right, I could "Roll it over" to another IRA or 401k and not get taxed or penalized, but if I cashed it out just to buy stocks out put it in savings I would get Cornholed....
The company I work for now, does not have any IRA or anything like that, so rather than let the govt eat it, its staying parked.
View Quote
I also have Fidelity at work now.  I can buy stonks with my JP Morgan account under my retirement IRA investments with tax benefit.

I recently looked at my Fidelity account and was shocked at how much post tax company stock I owned.  I sold it yesterday.  I need to do something with that too. The stonks fall in short term, long term and regular income, so I hope they get that paperwork right at tax time.

I am hoping I can put the 12K IRA thing into the same JP Morgan account without any tax burden.  Tell me to call my financial adviser, and I plan to, I just want to know more before I do that.  I have been ignoring this for too long.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Similar story here...
View Quote

you can buy and sell stock in your fidelity ira.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

you can buy and sell stock in your fidelity ira.
View Quote
I am used to Chase and their tools, Fidelity seems clunky to me, but I don't have much experience with it.  I called JPMorgan dudes and they clicked me through how to suck in a transfer directly from Prudential.  If I am playing with stonks, I prefer to see them all in front of me on the same balance sheet.  I may have been able to suck in the Fidelity stonks the same way, but too late for that now, a transfer is already pending.

I still have some questions about the IRA status, but hopefully it works out at tax time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, it got bounced and will require a trip to the bank and some paperwork.  Things I didn't know, to change a Simple IRA to a Traditional IRA can be done without any tax issues if the account has been in effect two years.  It doesn't matter if you are still with the employer at all.  

My bank can't simply pull in the funds with their automatic tools, this requires paperwork.  I have had the account at least 15 years and I always forget about it until tax time.

I didn't get a 1099DIV or anything at all this year for the account, but I did last year.  I went to the website because everything is paperless now, and it says "no tax forms available".  I hope this little thing doesn't get me audited for 2021 taxes, but I doubt the income would affect my bottom line much.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top