Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2021 8:19:16 PM EDT
I've spend a fair amount of time riding in and around Silverton CO.  Very cool mountain town.  

Silverton used to allow OHVs (side by sides and ATVs) on certain roads in town.  We have spent a fair amount of money there in the various trips we made there.  Well the town fairly recently elected a liberal to be the mayor and he attempted to ban OHVs from town.  The town pushed back and there was a recall election.  Well, he was retained in office and at the same time there was a vote to allow or prohibit OHVs in town.  The prohibition passed so no more riding in town.  

I emailed the Chamber of Commerce and politely informed them I would no longer be spending any money in Silverton.  

Here's the contact email for the Silverton Chamber of Commerce.  

https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/silverton-voters-reject-recall-efforts-prohibit-ohvs-in-town/?fbclid=IwAR3MMpNV_yhReSxSLLK0PZraCf0c3cnIJb3FB8VCzmkheZE6rNO_dHKhMXYewspaper

Silverton voters reject recall efforts, prohibit OHVs in town

Mayor Shane Fuhrman and two trustee members keep their seats

Silverton voters this week rejected a recall effort targeting the town mayor and two town trustee members, and decided to prohibit the use of off-highway vehicles on streets and alleys within town limits.

Off-highway vehicles were previously allowed on designated routes within town.

The recall of Mayor Shane Fuhrman received 214 “yes” votes and 263 “no” votes.

The recall of Trustee Sallie Barney received 197 “yes” votes and 281 “no” votes.

The recall of Trustee Jordan Bierma received 203 “yes” votes and 277 “no” votes.

Of the two ballot measures asking about off-highway vehicles, Measure 1 that asked if OHVs should be prohibited on all streets received 291 “yes” votes and 189 “no” votes.

Measure 2, which asked if all municipal streets, alleys and rights-of-way within Silverton should be designated year-round OHV routes, received 117 “yes” votes and 324 “no” votes.
History of the recall

The three recall petitions against Fuhrman, Barney and Bierma were filed July 19 with the Silverton clerk’s office, and a special municipal election was subsequently scheduled for Tuesday.

The petition demanding a recall of Fuhrman accused him of using his position as mayor “to enrich himself” and said that he purchased the only affordable apartment building in town to convert it into condominiums and vacation rentals.

The petitioners also accused Fuhrman, along with Bierma, of refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance at a trustees meeting on April 12.

Fuhrman refuted some of those claims on his website. However, he does not dispute refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.

The recall petition for Barney said she “took an oath to uphold the constitution of the state of Colorado, which shows she isn’t here to stand up for Silvertonians.”

The petition also accused Barney of voting out economic growth for people and small businesses in town after campaigning for supporting local workers and affordable housing; it said she wanted more data to make any recommendations about whether to allow OHVs on Silverton streets; and said Barney lacks an understanding of trustee meeting laws and issues within the community.

The petition calling for Bierma’s recall said he lied about his views on OHVs and “voted out economic growth for people who have lived or want to own a small business.”

Each of the three recall petitions were signed by Cole Davenport, Gigi Raine and Floyd Barela.
Should OHVs on Silverton streets be expanded or disbanded?

The ballot contained two questions related to OHVs. One question asked voters whether the municipal code should be amended to allow OHVs on all town streets and alleys.

A “yes” vote on OHVs would allow them on all town streets, alleys and rights of way.

A “no” vote would retain the current routes as enforced by the municipality.

Another OHV ballot question asks voters if OHVs should be prohibited from all streets, alleys and rights of way.

A “yes” vote would block the use of OHVs on all streets, alleys and rights of way.

A “no” vote would retain current town code and continue allowance of OHVs on routes currently designated by the town of Silverton.

Silverton Resolution No. 2021-06 says that if the conflicting measures are both approved by voters, the item with the most affirmative votes will be passed.

In April 2020, voters of the town of Dolores rejected a similar ballot measure that would have allowed OHVs on town streets if approved.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
“Voting”…
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the same mayor that tried to cancel saying the Pledge of Allegiance at board meetings, I think.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the same mayor that tried to cancel saying the Pledge of Allegiance at board meetings, I think.

View Quote

It is the same one.  NY liberal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You would think since the train hasn't been there in over a year, they would be welcoming any business they could that might bring in a little momey.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
As a low key vintage jeeper, I can easily see why towns are banning OHV's after witnessing plenty tearing up trails and causing quite the ruckus in down town streets.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun riding with buddies in theirs, but some people are quite obnoxious in them.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As a low key vintage jeeper, I can easily see why towns are banning OHV's after witnessing plenty tearing up trails and causing quite the ruckus in down town streets.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun riding with buddies in theirs, but some people are quite obnoxious in them.

https://i.imgur.com/0s1p1Hs.jpg
View Quote

I was planning on getting one to drive around my when I move to my new place, but honestly, it never occurred to me to ever drive it farther than down to the mailbox on the county road or on my property.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was planning on getting one to drive around my when I move to my new place, but honestly, it never occurred to me to ever drive it farther than down to the mailbox on the county road or on my property.

View Quote

Mine has been to some pretty incredible places all over the country.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Colorado used to be a great place to live...it's where I grew up,
and until last month, was the place I called home.

had some good times there, but the liberals fucked it up, just like everywhere else they go.
View Quote

Sad to see you left RED_5. I’ve followed through a few of your threads.

My family has been here for over a hundred years so I’ll probably stick it out but this place sure isn’t the Colorado I grew up in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Regardless your political orientation it is not hard to imagine atv/utv riders making a nuisance of themselves pretty quickly.

If they ride them on road, anything like they ride them offroad, I can see trouble coming, particularly if they are running on an alcohol blend.

People are always their own worst enemies, and powercraft are frequently the great enabler.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]
We were there this summer. I’m not saying this to agree with the mayor or whatever his politics are but I can understand why they’d be an annoyance in a town like that.

I live in a town of 9000 people with an ordinance which allows UTVs and has no off road trails or unmaintained roads within an hour or more drive. They’re a nuisance here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m sure it happens but in my time spent riding in CO, the only obnoxious drivers I came across were the dirt bike riders. The ORV and vehicle drivers all were polite and respectful to each other. In my times in Silverton, everyone was driving slowly snd following the rules no matter what vehicle they were riding/driving.

The sad part is auto/truck/Jeep riders bitch about the ORV/dirt bike crowd, the ORV riders bitch about the auto/truck/Jeep and dirt bike riders, and the dirt bike riders bitch about the auto/truck/Jeep and ORV riders. Instead, all should be working together to keep the trails and towns open for all. But, the animosity some feel toward the others only hurts everyone.

Recreational riders should follow the liberal method and come together for a common goal and stop bad mouthing each other. Maybe things would get done that everyone can benefit from.

I know I’m done spending money in Silverton until/if they change course. Sadly it sounds like the town is full of liberal losers. Well they can do without my money. Lake City is happy to have me.

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah but they are just as obnoxious in their jacked up trucks. That kind will just sell the utv’s and invest in a street legal truck and still cause problems.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Liberals will ruin everything.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#15]
The steam train no longer goes to Silverton?  Bummer.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow. What’s the story?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where did you get that information?  I just looked and it shows as running from Durango to Silverton.  This is the peak time of the year for their season with the colors changing.

Edit:  My guess is the poster way before was referring to it being shut down during COVID, rather than permanently closed.

On a related note, spousal unit and I used to love that area and would go out once every 2 years or so to ride the train and hike the area.  I also Elk hunted for several years up above the Vallecito reservoir.  

Over the years Durango has gotten more and more infected with the West Coast virus to the point it isn't enjoyable any longer and I am unsurprised that Silverton is the same.  We take our vacation business to Montana now.  

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You would think since the train hasn't been there in over a year, they would be welcoming any business they could that might bring in a little momey.
View Quote

This post made me ask.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This post made me ask.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post made me ask.
D&S was only running at half capacity all of last year and was not going all the way to Silverton. Just when they were about to resume service to Silverton, a bridge was washed out near Silverton so trains still couldn't get there. I think it's been almost a year and a half since a train has been to Silverton. They just recently started back up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
D&S was only running at half capacity all of last year and was not going all the way to Silverton. Just when they were about to resume service to Silverton, a bridge was washed out near Silverton so trains still couldn't get there. I think it's been almost a year and a half since a train has been to Silverton. They just recently started back up.
View Quote

Good news. It’s on my to do soon list.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m jealous , My dream is a 2a like that, everything you need, nothing you don’t.

As to the ban - I’m not a fan of banning stuff, but a large portion of the sxs crowd really does tear up the trails and cause issues in small rural communities.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome Jeep...!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I sort of understand keeping them off the main paved road.  But there's zero reason to keep them off the unpaved side roads.

I LOVE Silverton.  I don't see the need for any of them goons to change anything.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m sure it happens but in my time spent riding in CO, the only obnoxious drivers I came across were the dirt bike riders. The ORV and vehicle drivers all were polite and respectful to each other. In my times in Silverton, everyone was driving slowly snd following the rules no matter what vehicle they were riding/driving.

The sad part is auto/truck/Jeep riders bitch about the ORV/dirt bike crowd, the ORV riders bitch about the auto/truck/Jeep and dirt bike riders, and the dirt bike riders bitch about the auto/truck/Jeep and ORV riders. Instead, all should be working together to keep the trails and towns open for all. But, the animosity some feel toward the others only hurts everyone.

Recreational riders should follow the liberal method and come together for a common goal and stop bad mouthing each other. Maybe things would get done that everyone can benefit from.

I know I’m done spending money in Silverton until/if they change course. Sadly it sounds like the town is full of liberal losers. Well they can do without my money. Lake City is happy to have me.

View Quote

Adventure and dirt bikes are not made for skirts like you. All of the cagers, jeep fags, UTV, and atvs with zero knowledge of vehicle right of way on a mountain are why we are annoyed by all of you. Go 3mph up a mountain pass but get the hell out of the way for bikes that can actually ride the passes with ease. For every one that respectfully lets me by 30 are complete morons.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Adventure and dirt bikes are not made for skirts like you. All of the cagers, jeep fags, UTV, and atvs with zero knowledge of vehicle right of way on a mountain are why we are annoyed by all of you. Go 3mph up a mountain pass but get the hell out of the way for bikes that can actually ride the passes with ease. For every one that respectfully lets me by 30 are complete morons.
View Quote

Drive like an asshole, get treated like an asshole.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:59:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:37:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a dirt bike you literally can't ride slow AF like the SxS crowd usually does.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

On a dirt bike you literally can't ride slow AF like the SxS crowd usually does.
View Quote

It only takes a bobcat and chainsaw to solve that problem.

There used to be trails where I grew up. Theres 3 kinds of off roader.
The poser fag that has Gucci all the things probably has a youtube/social media channel and shills for tier 1 all the things but cant/won't lacks the skill and ability to go hard at it.

The equivalent of a fudd-the elitist. Just because they can't/won't or think 2mph rock climbing is the end all be all, then so shall everything else.

Then there's me. Or the Asshole. Brisk pace on initial go at it, followed by Wide open all the time.

My friends and I cut our own trails. "Borrowed" our fathers heavy equipment. And we had trails that went into vermont, massachusettes, and connecticut.
To prevent the slow going crowd? We cut in banked corners, woops sections that essentially would kill a wrangler, or piss off the fags/fudd hunters on 4x4 quads. (Side by Sides weren't a thing, yet) doubles, triples, table tops, Think motocross track everything.

The "public trails" sucked. Always congested with people never exceeding maybe 30mph...
Hand written signs-tread lightly.
Okay. About that.
Ya'll fuckers out here in jeeps/Rangers/tacos other mini trucks, on TSL super swampers, lifted foremans/ozarks/grizzlys/sportsmans with mud bogging tires don't forget the snorkels and winches!

And you're gonna tell me to tread lightly?

Banshee/KX250 go Braaaaaaapppp!

Dear God they got so ass hurt if you passed them on straight aways. I never understood this phenomenon-dudes out here on utility/4x4 quads, in jeeps/lifted mini trucks on literal mud bogging tires.
Going to tell me and all the friends I rode with, to tread lightly.
AND
Those hypocrites went through trails conducive for doing 50+mph like old people fuck, slow and painful.
Pass them? Suddenly they found where the throttle was, and applied it, to catch up with you to yell at you.
Left lane campers of the woods. But God damn could they find the go pedal in their jeep/taco, on their foreman/sportsman fudd quad if you passed them.

So my friends and I decided, fuck those guys. We made our own trails. They linked across all our parents property. And we made friends with others around our age further east (hence trails going from upstate ny into vermont, Western mass and ct)

Someone found one of our trails and tied into it. They didn't venture too far.
Behind my one friends farm, which extended to my family's property, was a mountain. On the gentle/back side of the mountain, (my side) we took a backhoe and bobcat and cut in to the mountain. Think, Ski ramp.

We found the dudes wrangler rubber side up on the back side of the jump.
Judging by the skids coming down that ramp, and up the face of the jump, buddy must have been coasting at 60-70 halfway down and realized this thing was going to fling him about 100 feet+ high and out, that and the landing was going to be at the base or in the flat field beyond it.

On a banshee 5th pinned would shoot you out quite a ways, but you'd case it towards the bottom.
A KX250 3rd pinned you'd go further up, but still land on the mountain.
Mid of 4th-bottom of 5th, you'd case it in the field.
You'd literally shoot out and above the tops of the pine trees. But the angle of the mountain made landing conducive without dying.

TrEaD LiGhTlY! No you lazy fuck, don't like the line cut in the corner? Don't like the ruts? Get your lazy ass a bobcat since pulling a rake is too much like hard work and maintain your shit.
Get good or get passed.

All laws banishing dirt bikes, quads, snowmobiles, off roading need to be fought.
And those that propose them, their citizenship revoked and shipped to the socialist shit hole of their choosing.
The woods should echo of gun fire, V8s, and 2 strokes.

Any subjective prohibition or "compromise"/allowances needs to also be fought.

Make the left compromise for once.
Ya'll fled your shit hole cities and suburbs to rural areas for the perceived- Muh peace and quietz yet you fuckers HATE rural living and our forms of recreation/entertainment.

We will replace our FMF shortys, Toomey T6, ProCircuit 304s, with quieter exhaust, when you fuckers take suppressors off the NFA list and they become over the counter accessories.

This is how this shit works.
Progressive liberal shit heels think rural areas are library silent.
Fuck no.
We just don't have shit bags murdering each other over drug turf 24/7 so there's no meat wagon and police sirens all hours of the day and night.
We have loud forms of fun.
We don't have horns honking either. We aren't grid rats. Our roads go for miles without stop signs or traffic lights.

So how this shit works?
Shit heels move to the sticks.
To tell us we aren't living right. That they're somehow entitled to this... silent serene imaginary place they've concocted in their limp wristed brain.
Birds of a shit feather flock together.
The old codgers living in piss poorly insulated houses that shake their fist at the damn kids having fun, they help these fuckers and are the first on board with voting for a noise ordinance.
Poetic justice comes for their old retarded asses when they're sighting in Muh deer rifle in their backyard.
Muzzle blast is far louder than the damn kids toys are. Fudd Mcgee didn't think that one through.

No more backyard ranges to please their liberal overlords from the city.
No more hunting either. Black powder, rifle, shotgun, nothing that makes noise. Because pussy eared busy body cunting and crying cityiot overlords.

Rural areas need to echo of gun fire 2 strokes and V8s as a "Fuck You, You don't belong here. You're not welcome here. Go be a tyrant/nanny statist cunt somewhere else."

And God help you if you ride motorcycles.
Didn't matter if cruiser/harley, enduro, sportsbike. Those shit bags ABSOLUTELY HATED motorcycles.
The roads there were full of twists, turns, straight aways that went for miles.
It was fun riding a bike there before those cunts came along and fucked it all up.
Muh roadz aren't your racetrackz!
Excuse me? Your roads? No fucker. You're a guest here. We don't need you, besides, if they're obeying posted speed limits, maintaining their lane, what is the problem? Because it sounds as though you want to subjectively dictate unwritten rules of the road to appease to your petty irrelevant feelz. And if that's the case? Go back to the city where you belong.

Along comes their allies. The cuckservatives and fudds.

But. Muh property valuez! Maybe research what degeneracy your property taxes funds. Then insulate your shit.
Fuck property value, it goes up, so does your property tax bill, along with more $ for the free shit army, and enforcement of new law that limit restrict reduce freedoms into felonies/subjective privileges if you're lucky.
We do taxes backwards here. Should be ghettos, slum lords, and trailer trash that pay more for property taxes for being free shit army safe havens.
Fuck. Property valuez. Research where and what the $ goes towards, you too will put camaros on blocks and graffiti the house. Can't rape you on taxes, if your assesment is below market value It's how you starve the beast. I did it. I'll do it again.

Do not ban, limit, restrict, subjectively dictate any form of motorsports.
This is America. We should act like it whether Potatus is in office or not.
Hell will freeze over before that babbling retard and Muh green new dealz Muh climate changez Muh environmentz cohorts stop me from having a good time. Same for everyone else.

Biggest hypocrites I've ever witnessed in my life, progressive liberal cityiots cunting and crying about Muh environmentz, as they proceed to destroy said environment, clear cutting hundreds of acres worth of lush forest, and fields for their weekend/summer homes.
Banned hunting. So deer suffered wasting disorder, along with their non driving asses clobbering them with the consistency of death and taxes. Causing car insurance to skyrocket.
Banned waterfowl hunting. 2 mild winters. No way to cull the Canadian geese. The lake I lived 20 feet from, went from a picturesque Bob Ross painting, to a murky green cesspool. So bad in fact, board of health, county and town, ENCON and DEC placed signs warning not to enter the water with open cuts/sores/wounds, not to drink the water, not to eat the fish either. What fish? They were mostly dead floating on top of the water in the green scum from all of the geese shitting in it, causing algae and flesh eating bacterias.

But surely it was the damn kids with boats and jetskis that were the problem... when that wasn't enough? Blame local farmers for contamination of the lake. it tested positive for fertilizers! Yeah. Your pool will too if enough geese go on unculled, land in it, shit in it. But okay. Let's hear how water flowed uphill into the lake... for being so educated/Muh factz Muh sciencez Muh environmentz crowd is retarded. So much for that sophisticated degree, when they can't even read a topographical map.
Retards. The lot of them.

Fuck that. Never again.

Dirt bikes.
Quads.
Snowmobiles.
Side by sides.
Jeeps.
Trail trucks.
Field cars.

Uncorked exhaust all the things.
A universal and United NO WE WILL NOT OBEY GO BE A MISERABLE BUSY BODY FAG SOMEWHERE ELSE.

And if they want to cunt and cry about Muh environmentz ask them why they supported destroying it by engaging in domestic deforestation to help urban sprawl.

If they want to cunt and cry about Muh noise pollutionz! Tell them when suppressors are no longer NFA items, maybe then quiet exhaust can be a thing. Until then. Go fuck yourself you petty tyrants, no.

Speed limits on snowmobile trails in tug hill MXZ/rave valve Rotax says Braaaaap.
Then encon out there writing tickets for excessive smoke in the exhaust meanwhile, barges running up and down the Hudson River could roll coal issue free. The .gov lencos I fixed and refurbished were emissions deleted.

Fuck that. Rules for thee not for me.

Put the beginners or I just turned 30 and have come across money so new hobby time beginners on a slow trail for beginners.
Everyone else? Like a snowboard/ski slope. Black Diamonds. Haul ass. Impede the flow? Banned. To the bunny trail for you.
Cause wrecks because slow as shit? Banned. Bunny trail for you.

As long as the trails are maintained properly, and there is absolutely no subjectivity to what is and isn't properly maintained.
There is fuck all reason to limit, restrict, or hinder ones skills and abilities to abide by TrEaD LiGhTlY!/pussy foot around.
You don't get good by mosey along like you're driving miss daisy.

If your shoulders, abs, thighs aren't on fire after a day riding trails? You're not doing it right.
Go putz around somewhere else.

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad to see the one guy who has all of the skills explain it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Colorado used to be a great place to live...it's where I grew up,
and until last month, was the place I called home.

had some good times there, but the liberals fucked it up, just like everywhere else they go.
View Quote

I lived in NW CO three years back in the 70s. It was truly awesome, but was beginning to get Californicated even that far back. Three of my HS teachers were fresh transplants in 77.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
What most people are identifying as dirt bikes are actually street licensed motorcycles.  No different than a keep or truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top