Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2022 10:16:50 AM EDT
Why did they stop making the Maxim 50?  So long as the silencer was effective, seems like it would be a hot seller to have a single shot that is silenced.  Was it not a good design?  Or did the tyrants over at the AFT fuck it up for everyone once again?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I have questions !
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about this the other day. The maxim 50 shows up as discontinued on silencerco’s website. I believe the rifle was a traditions vortex that silencerco added a can on. The only downside that I can see to something like the maxim would be that it would be tougher to load and a big pain in the ass to clean. I remember reading that you were supposed to clean it like every 5 rounds or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Apparently they were a pain in the ass to keep running. Very sensitive to fouling. When all was said and done you essentially had a finicky pellet rifle with much better ballistics.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#4]
And as to why they stopped making it. Silencerco went through some financial hard times, I wonder if it got put on the chopping block because of money reasons?  I can’t imagine that muzzle loaders are a big segment of the gun market.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
It was more than twice the price of the base rifle, didn’t sell well at all, and has to be cleaned constantly.

There’s just not that many people who want a suppressed muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I paid 299 or 399 for mine when SiCO was blowing them out a few years back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My guess is they had some legality issues. There’s a few states that consider muzzleloaders to be firearms. Thus in those states, the suppressor would be a real suppressor requiring all the class iii stuff. It is really a pretty big legal gray area IMHO. Say a person buys the muzzleloader in PA and transports it to NJ. PA says a muzzleloader is nothing but NJ says it’s a firearm. Does that mean that NJ charges the guy with an unregistered suppressor? The firearm was legally bought and it was legal to transport it across those states’ borders. However the suppressor part of it isn’t?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is they had some legality issues. There’s a few states that consider muzzleloaders to be firearms. Thus in those states, the suppressor would be a real suppressor requiring all the class iii stuff. It is really a pretty big legal gray area IMHO. Say a person buys the muzzleloader in PA and transports it to NJ. PA says a muzzleloader is nothing but NJ says it’s a firearm. Does that mean that NJ charges the guy with an unregistered suppressor? The firearm was legally bought and it was legal to transport it across those states’ borders. However the suppressor part of it isn’t?
View Quote

From what I remember at the time of them releasing it is you can only suppress firearms and since a muzzleloader is not a firearm, it doesn't have a suppressor. When certain states reclassified or changed laws to say ML's are firearms that's when things went belly up and it was no longer a 50-state legal item.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't imagine trying to clean a black powder suppressor.  And how did you suppress the sound of the cap/primer?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't imagine trying to clean a black powder suppressor.  And how did you suppress the sound of the cap/primer?
View Quote

The same way as with any other gun? The primer in an inline muzzle loader isn't appreciably different than from a center fire when you get down to it.

Primers in a firearm aren't that loud on their own anyway, they make you just about shit your pants if one goes off on the press though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC it was built for Buckhorn 209 with is a relatively speaking low fouling powder. Everything is inline unlike the older guns with the cap on an external nipple. Think of a bolt action but you load a primer in the bolt and the powder and projectile down the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It was more than twice the price of the base rifle, didn’t sell well at all, and has to be cleaned constantly.

There’s just not that many people who want a suppressed muzzleloader.
View Quote

I kinda want to try one out.  For <$1000 for a silenced rifle that can tell the tyrants to fuck off....I don't care as much about the accuracy....that's just awesome in and of itself.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

For Federal law purposes tho, only Federal law is what matters.

Legally, the same as a permanently affixed/integral suppressor on any other non-firearm (IE, air rifle)
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IIRC it was built for Buckhorn 209 with is a relatively speaking low fouling powder. Everything is inline unlike the older guns with the cap on an external nipple. Think of a bolt action but you load a primer in the bolt and the powder and projectile down the barrel.
View Quote

Does the Maxim 50 predate the variety of smokeless muzzleloader actions available nowadays?  A smokeless rated action would make the cleaning interval no different than any other modern can.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I kinda want to try one out.  For <$1000 for a silenced rifle that can tell the tyrants to fuck off....I don't care as much about the accuracy....that's just awesome in and of itself.
View Quote

I’m not trying to violate COC or anything…. But if you wanna “tell the tyrants to fuck off”, I don’t think a neutered, federally legal, ATF approved, single shot muzzleloader is the way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Muzzleloader's aren't particularly loud anyway, relative to modern firearms anyway. I'm sure it's not great for your hearing but a couple shots during hunting season I'm not going to stress over.

Not even a slight ringing after shooting one. Shoot a modern .260 with a brake and you'll still be screaming "WHAT?" at dinner time over the ringing noise in your ear.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m not trying to violate COC or anything…. But if you wanna “tell the tyrants to fuck off”, I don’t think a neutered, federally legal, ATF approved, single shot muzzleloader is the way to do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know they approved of it.  Kinda takes away the attraction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I use to shoot black powder rifles alot. Even in some competitive shoots back in the day. Black powder was a pita to clean. Took a hot soapy coffee can or bucket of water and connected a rubber tub to percussion cap nipple and stuck other end in hot soapy water and used ram rod with a fitting to ram up and down barrel to draw water in and out to clean black powder out of barrel. Then oiled it. I can't imagine a suppressor on one. Even substitutes for black powder can be a pain. But at least they arent corrosive...most the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I would suspect it would take complete diassembly to clean one.  What a lot of work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#20]
because muzzleloaders are dumb, and the only people using them are civil war fans or people trying to squeeze out a longer firearm deer season. those people don't buy suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use to shoot black powder rifles alot. Even in some competitive shoots back in the day. Black powder was a pita to clean. Took a hot soapy coffee can or bucket of water and connected a rubber tub to percussion cap nipple and stuck other end in hot soapy water and used ram rod with a fitting to ram up and down barrel to draw water in and out to clean black powder out of barrel. Then oiled it. I can't imagine a suppressor on one. Even substitutes for black powder can be a pain. But at least they arent corrosive...most the time.
View Quote

Modern muzzleloader's including the one op is referring to are inline with a removable breach. Much easier to clean and run a rod through.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:24:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
because muzzleloaders are dumb, and the only people using them are civil war fans or people trying to squeeze out a longer firearm deer season. those people don't buy suppressors.
View Quote

When it comes to draw tags, muzzleloader here can be very favorable, plus a third or less people out in the woods during the general seasons. I killed a cow elk last year with my .50. 250gr Hornady sabot does the job, even going slow. Only irons allowed here, so sub 100 yd effective range basically. But unless you got private land to hunt on, i don't even like doing general modern season here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Apparently they were a pain in the ass to keep running. Very sensitive to fouling. When all was said and done you essentially had a finicky pellet rifle with much better ballistics.
View Quote

I was going to say that would be a ROYAL pain in the ass to clean
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
And as to why they stopped making it. Silencerco went through some financial hard times, I wonder if it got put on the chopping block because of money reasons?  I can’t imagine that muzzle loaders are a big segment of the gun market.
View Quote

That’ll happen when you piss Mike Pappas off and he leaves, taking a lot of customers over to Dead Air
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Neat idea, terrible maintenance. I get 3 shots out of an in-line muzzle loader without a can. With a can you were never going to get the voids between baffles clean plus now one maybe 2 shots between cleanings. I’d rather use a bow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
The mere thought of a suppressed muzzleloader is wild...what a mess!
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And as to why they stopped making it. Silencerco went through some financial hard times, I wonder if it got put on the chopping block because of money reasons?  I can't imagine that muzzle loaders are a big segment of the gun market.
View Quote
They sure did try real hard to be hipsters. Probably wasn't cheap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Does the Maxim 50 predate the variety of smokeless muzzleloader actions available nowadays?  A smokeless rated action would make the cleaning interval no different than any other modern can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smokeless MLs are not legal for hunting in MS. The law clearly states "black powder or substitutes."  It would relegated to a range toy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think I paid 299 or 399 for mine when SiCO was blowing them out a few years back.
View Quote

When they came out, I thought it was worth about 500 bucks. By time they were selling for that I couldn't bring myself to pick one up.
The base gun wasn't a great choice. For the expense I expected something a little better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top