Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2020 6:34:11 AM EDT
Anybody have feedback on this lens?  Found a good example for a low price.  Not a lot of on line reviews.  It will be going on a D850.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM APO?  Been discontinued a while (3 years) and was introduced in 2009.  That's an okay lens, but on 24mp cameras it's known to be a touch soft compared to other lenses like the Nikon 300mm f/2.8.  So it'll likely have troubles with the 45mp on the D850.  No VR on the lens either, so you'll really be needing to keep an eye on your shutter speeds to keep it from blurring.

KEH doesn't even have them in stock anymore, but tagged them at $400 when they did.  Personally it would be a really iffy buy for me.  If you could play with it before hand, run an AF test for sharpness, etc, it could be a yes with caveats.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It is the lens you mentioned.  $400 seems ridiculously cheap. I guess I got here too late.  I got the lens. slow to focus, noisy, doesn’t seem sharp.  I’m going to return it and rent a Nikon.  I’m sure I’ll regret it.  Thanks for your counsel in this and my “pole insyde” thread.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised. Usually the HSM lenses are very good. I absolutely love my 70-200/2.8.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top