Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2018 4:00:57 PM EDT
I have in my notes from a post here some time ago that the Sidewinder Compact II was a great option for a light in the cockpit. Whoever suggested that, could you tell me if it could be mounted to a headset and be useful? I'm thinking the side of the ear piece that is microphone free. Looks like the helmet mount that comes with it could be glued to the side of the headset and the light angled forward and down.

I'm reluctant to buy one until I can find out if that approach of mounting it would work.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That will be VERY bright...probably way more than you need.

I'd recommend a Princeton Tech "Switch"/MPLS.  It's far lighter, can be mounted with pretty easily, and weighs considerably less.  It's also about the right power for use in a cockpit.  I have one on my flight helmet, and it works well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a couple of cheap, no-name, keychain squeeze lights (primary and backup) on a lightweight badge retractor (so they don't get lost if I drop one) in the cockpit at night. Why would you need any more than this? I've got a couple of larger lights for pre-flight and stuff, and they meet the requirements for larger flashlights, but I never use them in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You need TWO lights or one with variable intensity.

A Bright one, enough for a preflight even on a bright sunny day!

Then a very, very dim one for cockpit use. Once your eyes are dark adapted it takes very little light to read a panel or chart.

One thing I hate are the glass cockpit panels for night work! They are just too damn bright for me. Dimmed to comfortable level of brightness and now I can't read anything.

I usually make night landings with the lights either off or nearly so. If you know attitude flying, you don't need to see anything. If you fly with them bright, you won't see things like the runway is starting to disapear because you are getting low and the trees are in your path. Also helps with objects on the runway. Don't use landing lights normally either...

Try it and you'll see what I mean
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Good info. Thank you. Glad I asked before buying. Sounds like my cheapo headlamp is the right ticket after all when I need a brighter red light. I’ll look for a small unit that I can wear around my neck for general use. I have a hand held for outside use.

I appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good info. Thank you. Glad I asked before buying. Sounds like my cheapo headlamp is the right ticket after all when I need a brighter red light. I’ll look for a small unit that I can wear around my neck for general use. I have a hand held for outside use.

I appreciate the input.
View Quote
I searched and actually bought an "aviation" headlamp.  It sucked.

I bought a Petzl Tikka for the same price ($25) and it is MUCH better.  It has red and white lights, two intensities each.  I love it.  I also carry a variable intensity Fenix for preflight (on max it is also mich brighter than my landing light!).

Let me know if you want to exact model and I will get it for you.

A headlamp is useful when you are not wearing your headset.  Although I might also get one that clips to my headset based on this thread.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I bought a Petzl Tikka for the same price ($25) and it is MUCH better.  It has red and white lights, two intensities each.  I love it.  I also carry a variable intensity Fenix for preflight (on max it is also mich brighter than my landing light!).

A headlamp is useful when you are not wearing your headset.  Although I might also get one that clips to my headset based on this thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the input.

I have a Petzl on order that should be better than my current one. My one night flight so far, it was fine under the headset, though too heavy. I need to find a nice low intensity light  in red that I can hang from a lanyard. I’ve not had luck finding one that will mount to the headset. Let me know if you find one.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a Petzl on order that should be better than my current one. My one night flight so far, it was fine under the headset, though too heavy. I need to find a nice low intensity light  in red that I can hang from a lanyard. I’ve not had luck finding one that will mount to the headset. Let me know if you find one.
View Quote
Roger, and you too!

This is the Petzl that I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYTU6BO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger, and you too!

This is the Petzl that I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KYTU6BO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I eyed that one and then went for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-TACTIKKA-Headlamp-Red-Green-Blue-Lighting/dp/B01KYTQ4J2/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1544319763&sr=1-5&keywords=petzl+tactikka+headlamp

More expensive but I figured it would cover all the bases. Off to search for the lanyard light for around my neck....
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me know about the lanyard or headset clipon light.  I can see how they would be useful.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#10]
So much complexity in the cockpit. This is what I use:

Attachment Attached File

If it makes you feel any better, the keychain light is from Nitecore, who are flashlight badasses, but that's because I got it for free with a big flashlight. I have a drawer full of free keychain lights and I'd be happy with any of them, and just a little more happy with the ones that have adjustable brightness (the Nitecore does).

Oh, and let's talk about the Red Light Myth. Yes, at 650nm and below (very deep red), your rod recovery times are better but only at very dim light levels. So dim that, combined with the long wavelength, you can't see shit. Few flashlights work at those wavelengths or at appropriate intensities. You are much better served by using dim white light. You will wind up using less intensity than the red and can actually see colors, details and obtain contrast, all of which will allow you to read faster and expose yourself to light for a far lesser amount of time. The real reason red light got popular is because a) it didn't mess with dark room processes and b) dipping white lamps in red paint made them dimmer back in the old days when dimmers were bulky and expensive and LEDs didn't exist.

Certainly outside of the cockpit fancy lights are great tools. But what are you guys all looking at in the cockpit that you need something fancy there? I look at printed checklists and, in aircraft that have poor lighting, controls and displays that are poorly illuminated. Back in the day I looked at sectionals, but not anymore due to the plethora of tablet and phone based solutions. By using the keychain light at low intensity and placed close to what I am looking at I minimize my exposure, and any copilot exposure, to light.

By the way, with a cable tie and a binder clip, any $1 keychain light can instantly become a clip on for a hat brim. I have one of those, too, but I never use it anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top