Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/9/2018 8:41:38 PM EDT
Any Shriners here?  I've been in my Blue Lodge for some time, but haven't done anything else.  I've been thinking of joining the shrine.  What have your experiences been?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any Shriners here?  I've been in my Blue Lodge for some time, but haven't done anything else.  I've been thinking of joining the shrine.  What have your experiences been?
View Quote
I am.

I specifically  enjoy the functions like the Valentines dance, the dinners, the golf outings, the gun club, the RV park, etc...  My Shrine is top notch.

I have never gone to a meeting, because its too far and on a weekday.

I am in a Shrine Caravan and a director and we have our own outings.  I do go to all those meetings.

I have been asked to be an Ambassador for the next Potentate, if  I accept.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am.

I specifically  enjoy the functions like the Valentines dance, the dinners, the golf outings, the gun club, the RV park, etc...  My Shrine is top notch.

I have never gone to a meeting, because its too far and on a weekday.

I am in a Shrine Caravan and a director and we have our own outings.  I do go to all those meetings.

I have been asked to be an Ambassador for the next Potentate, if  I accept.
View Quote
I'm not sure what a Shrine Caravan is, the temple is a bit far.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what a Shrine Caravan is, the temple is a bit far.
View Quote
Ok a caravan is a group of Shriners that meets somewhere other the the Temple. We have 11 groups in my temple.
You have to be a member of the caravan to go to our meetings.
Most Shriners dont join a caravan because they are close to the temple or they just dont feel like it I guess.
The Caravan is not the same as a unit or a club within the Temple.

My caravan has 3 big events a year that raise money for the hospital transportation fund as our main charity.
1. Golf outing... this is seperate from the big one held by the Temple. Last year we made $12,000, our best yet.
2. Summer Stag Picnic thats real fun.... we dont make much on that, maybe $1000
3.  Banquet

Maybe the Scottish Rite is something you can do if its closer..
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok a caravan is a group of Shriners that meets somewhere other the the Temple. We have 11 groups in my temple.
You have to be a member of the caravan to go to our meetings.
Most Shriners dont join a caravan because they are close to the temple or they just dont feel like it I guess.
The Caravan is not the same as a unit or a club within the Temple.

My caravan has 3 big events a year that raise money for the hospital transportation fund as our main charity.
1. Golf outing... this is seperate from the big one held by the Temple. Last year we made $12,000, our best yet.
2. Summer Stag Picnic thats real fun.... we dont make much on that, maybe $1000
3.  Banquet

Maybe the Scottish Rite is something you can do if its closer..

Maybe.  I think there is a Caravan 45 minutes away, after looking at the website.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I joined Aleppo Temple back in 1986. A number of us from my Blue Lodge used to go to the Shrine together, but as folks got older (I was the young kid at the time) and moved away or died off, the last few times I went there was nobody there that I knew other than a couple of people in the units. I stopped going. Driving thru Boston to get there is less than fun any day of the week. Since we're looking to move to SE NH and the Shrine is in Wilmington, there is a better chance that I'll attend some times once we find a house and move.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Dad did Blue Lodge, Scottish Rite and Shriners. I wish I had done the same but night shift made it hard.

What I remember most from sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for him to get done was that I sat with a 91 year old gentleman. He had worked for the railroad since he was a boy. He made the 2 or 3 hours seem like 15 mins. He had so many good stories and experiences in life. From what I understand the Shrine is the "fun stuff" where as Blue Lodge is more serious in nature.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dad did Blue Lodge, Scottish Rite and Shriners. I wish I had done the same but night shift made it hard.

What I remember most from sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for him to get done was that I sat with a 91 year old gentleman. He had worked for the railroad since he was a boy. He made the 2 or 3 hours seem like 15 mins. He had so many good stories and experiences in life. From what I understand the Shrine is the "fun stuff" where as Blue Lodge is more serious in nature.
View Quote
It's not to late to join now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Both Scottish Rite and Shrine in my area do their work on the weekends, making it easier for those that work during the week.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone thinking it's too late to join a Blue Lodge, Scottish or York Rite or Shrine Temple, stop it.  It is never too late.  In fact, it may be a better time than when you were younger since you might get more enjoyment and appreciation from joining.

Our goat was very friendly.  Only bit one candidate.  I wouldn't worry too much about that.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I love being a Shriner! Joined 20 years ago in college. Transferred from Ali Ghan to Boumi. I'm a Past Captain of the Motor Corps, Associate member of the Arab Patrol, in the Gun Club, Radio Club, Hillbillies, Ambassadors, Cig-Car-Club, and a member of a few "invite only" groups. Received the Shrine Nobility Award 6 years ago this week. I'm currently the 2nd VP of the Mid-Atlantic Association of Shrine Motor Corps. I've brought in over 50 men and the Temple gave me a parking spot as the Top Recruiter!

I do it all so kids can walk!
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Love the Shrine.  It is the "fun" side for sure but it's all so the kids can walk.  I joined the Highlanders as well and that is even more fun.  I've done the Scottish Rite and have a petition in for the York.  In my area both of those seem to be dying off.  The Shrine is doing great and making a huge difference for the Hospitals we help support.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love the Shrine.  It is the "fun" side for sure but it's all so the kids can walk.  I joined the Highlanders as well and that is even more fun.  I've done the Scottish Rite and have a petition in for the York.  In my area both of those seem to be dying off.  The Shrine is doing great and making a huge difference for the Hospitals we help support.
View Quote
I went through Scottish Rite in Cumberland Maryland back when you had to be York or Scottish Rite to join the Shrine. As far as I know, there are no active York Rite guys that far west in MD.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone thinking it's too late to join a Blue Lodge, Scottish or York Rite or Shrine Temple, stop it.  It is never too late.  In fact, it may be a better time than when you were younger since you might get more enjoyment and appreciation from joining.

Our goat was very friendly.  Only bit one candidate.  I wouldn't worry too much about that.  
View Quote
Wait, there's a goat?  I'm IN!!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love being a Shriner! Joined 20 years ago in college. Transferred from Ali Ghan to Boumi. I'm a Past Captain of the Motor Corps, Associate member of the Arab Patrol, in the Gun Club, Radio Club, Hillbillies, Ambassadors, Cig-Car-Club, and a member of a few "invite only" groups. Received the Shrine Nobility Award 6 years ago this week. I'm currently the 2nd VP of the Mid-Atlantic Association of Shrine Motor Corps. I've brought in over 50 men and the Temple gave me a parking spot as the Top Recruiter!

I do it all so kids can walk!
View Quote
ROJ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ROJ?
View Quote
Whatever do you mean?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to update, but I was sworn in last month.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Forgot to update, but I was sworn in last month.
View Quote
Congrats Brother!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Woot!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whatever do you mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROJ?
Whatever do you mean?
I think he's saying you're a Turtle.  Are you a Turtle?

(or somethingsomethingjesterssomethingsomething)
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You bet your ***** *** * **!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROJ?
Whatever do you mean?

You bet your sweet ass I am!

And the 2 aren't related, lol
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Shriner and ......... more
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Noble of Ainad here.

If you want to make a real difference for those most deserving of your charitable acts here is the real deal. I have been brought to tears more than a couple of times.

The children will teach you a new meaning of the word tough. My wife was helped by Shriners Hospital when she was young. If you join, make it a priority to visit one of the hospitals. It will light a fire in you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Aleppo Temple (Wilmington, MA) drives their candidates down to Shriners Burns Hospital in Boston as part of their initiation. Taking a tour of the hospital engraves in the brain what the Shriners true mission is!

In a few months we should be moved up to SE NH and I hope to attend more events at Aleppo Temple. The drive should be a lot easier down I-93 from NH to Wilmington that it is up thru Boston.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I joined Aleppo Temple back in 1986. A number of us from my Blue Lodge used to go to the Shrine together, but as folks got older (I was the young kid at the time) and moved away or died off, the last few times I went there was nobody there that I knew other than a couple of people in the units. I stopped going. Driving thru Boston to get there is less than fun any day of the week. Since we're looking to move to SE NH and the Shrine is in Wilmington, there is a better chance that I'll attend some times once we find a house and move.
View Quote
Yep, my Dad as well. His last years working was full time running their Shrine Lodge business. It was truly his "life".
It is a fine organization, the last Public meeting we went to at the North American convention, the Shriners had raised something like 18 Billion dollars to fully fund their hospitals and research! Fine work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I want to do Shrine eventually. The Michigan Shriners seem to have a really impressive organization.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Syrian Shrine out of Cincy.  Love it!
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:56:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Moolah Shrine in St. Louis.  I also hang out with the guys from Mabuhay Shrine in Manila, which has members throughout the Philippines.

There are a few Shriners I know here in the Kingdom, as well, but we have to be a bit more discreet.
View Quote
I just visited with a bunch of the Mabuhay guys back in late November, were you in attendance there?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm currently VP at our local Shrine club ( Murpah ). It does lots of good work beyond donating time and money to the Shrines hospitals.
Well worth joining Brothers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m a 12 year member of Osiris Shrine in Wheeling, WVa. I’m now in NC and am
active with Sudan Shrine in New Bern with the Keystone Kops. Plan on changing my
membership to there next year.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a 12 year member of Osiris Shrine in Wheeling, WVa. I'm now in NC and am
active with Sudan Shrine in New Bern with the Keystone Kops. Plan on changing my
membership to there next year.
View Quote
@MikeSH
Mike,
What took you to New Bern?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone thinking it's too late to join a Blue Lodge, Scottish or York Rite or Shrine Temple, stop it.
View Quote
Joined when I was 50....never too late
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#36]
@overscoped

Brother Noble, my wife and I fell in love with Topsail Island, NC in October of 16.
Since I work exclusively from home over the internet work decided it didn’t matter where I
worked from so we moved here, in May of 17.

Thus New Bern is the closest Shrine Temple and Jacksonville has a Shrine Club.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@overscoped

Brother Noble, my wife and I fell in love with Topsail Island, NC in October of 16.
Since I work exclusively from home over the internet work decided it didn't matter where I
worked from so we moved here, in May of 17.

Thus New Bern is the closest Shrine Temple and Jacksonville has a Shrine Club.
View Quote
thats great. I will make it a point to visit you next time I am there.  Do you attend the Stump Sound Lodge in Sneads Ferry? I have never been there because the dates never line up.
I was just down there  in January visiting my dad, who lives in SF right on Alligator Bay.

@MikeSH
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
thats great. I will make it a point to visit you next time I am there.  Do you attend the Stump Sound Lodge in Sneads Ferry? I have never been there because the dates never line up.
I was just down there  in January visiting my dad, who lives in SF right on Alligator Bay.

@MikeSH
View Quote
@OverScoped

That would be great, we meet the second and fourth Tuesday of every month.
Social and dinner at 6:30 Lodge starts at 7:30.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Murpah Shrine, Muncie Indiana. Great cause, great bunch of Nobles!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe I should have started a new thread but figured this was pretty close.  My grandfather was a Shiner, a good friend of mine told me I should join.  I really have not looked into it but figured this would be a good place to start for more information.  My father was too busy trying to raise my brother and I as a single dad to get involved.  I have no clue my grandfathers “status” in the Shrine but I do know what city he lived in and some aprox dates he might have been involved (died around 1986).
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Maybe I should have started a new thread but figured this was pretty close.  My grandfather was a Shiner, a good friend of mine told me I should join.  I really have not looked into it but figured this would be a good place to start for more information.  My father was too busy trying to raise my brother and I as a single dad to get involved.  I have no clue my grandfathers "status" in the Shrine but I do know what city he lived in and some aprox dates he might have been involved (died around 1986).
View Quote
You have to be a Freemason to join the Shrine
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks,

I did a bit of searching and found the local lodge for me.  Some things seem to be done by invite and others not so much, seems like you need to show up in person to find out more.  It will be awhile before that can happen as I sit in the hospital.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks,

I did a bit of searching and found the local lodge for me.  Some things seem to be done by invite and others not so much, seems like you need to show up in person to find out more.  It will be awhile before that can happen as I sit in the hospital.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Masons generally do not invite....but once you strike up a conversation with one, we will  lead you in the right direction.

What state do you live in?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you in all jurisdictions?  I ran into a Shriner that said he was getting ready to be raised.  He said they gave him 1 year to complete his degrees after joining Shrine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you in all jurisdictions?  I ran into a Shriner that said he was getting ready to be raised.  He said they gave him 1 year to complete his degrees after joining Shrine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn thats a new one.

Back in the day in PA you had to join Lodge, then Scottish Rite and then you could be a Shriner.

But if he tells me his state we can figure it all out and then we can help him
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you were told something in error.  Every Grand Master, if that were being done in their jurisdiction, I'm sure would declare Shrine clandestine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:02:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I have heard talk of the Shriners looking into dropping the requirement to be a Master Mason as a prerequisite for admission. And I have been told that in some jurisdictions that you can join as a third degree.

This is due to declining Freemason, and thus Shrine membership. It gets more difficult every year to counter the attrition rates of membership in both bodies. The work of financially maintaining 22 hospitals is never ending, and the Shrine is looking to raise membership levels through untraditional member requirements.

As far as I know, this only speculation.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#48]
The way this lunacy is going, at some point you won't have to be a Mason to be a Mason.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have heard talk of the Shriners looking into dropping the requirement to be a Master Mason as a prerequisite for admission. And I have been told that in some jurisdictions that you can join as a third degree.
View Quote
That's how it is in Pennsylvania. once you get to your third degree you can be a Shriner. it used to be you had to be a 32nd.
I join Shrine about 2 years after I was raised then about six months later I joined Scottish Rite...
I'm equally active in both of those but the most active in the Lodge.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have heard talk of the Shriners looking into dropping the requirement to be a Master Mason as a prerequisite for admission.
View Quote
This would only water the Shrine down....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top