Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2018 12:46:53 PM EDT
Lola is our 3yr old Dobie who went through a tough time with heartworm treatment. I'm working hard to get her back into tip top shape. Such a great dog and great breed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This is our girl, Salem. Initially, my husband objected to getting a Doberman. He’d never liked them, thought they were sneaky and mean and nothing he ever wanted to own. But when he described what he wanted in a dog, a Doberman was the perfect match. So he very reluctantly agreed to get one, and she’s completely changed his mind about the breed. She’s been everything he wanted in a dog.

We’ll probably get another from the same line here in a couple years.

Link Posted: 6/24/2018 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Gunner in his usual repose.

And always wanting attention.

He's 120 lbs. of sweetness. Can be very needy, affection wise.
They really are great dogs, but can be headstrong.
I wouldn't trade him for the world. Always a tragedy when you lose a dog, but when he leaves me I'm gonna be crushed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Nine weeks old today. Ear surgery was Tuesday. Last night was her first night home with us. She’s been a sweet little girl.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Still VERY interested in a Dobe.
The wife is warming up to it.
Recently had to let my 14 year old Beagle go.
My female lab has really pulled in closer since. Not sure if she's moving into an alfa role, but her demeanor has changed.
Wants to protect me a LOT more now.
Hopefully there won't be any real drama other than them working out their own dynamic.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Dottie says Hi

UPDATE: Baby Dottie

Link Posted: 7/23/2018 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
They are my favorite breed keep the pictures coming!
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Need to get one a different color collar - Have a really rough time telling them apart from any sort of distance...
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
What's up with the ear surgery? Any benefits or is it purely aesthetic?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
There are minor health benefits in that it allows for increased air circulation to the ear canal, which can greatly reduce bacterial and fungal ear infections, but mostly it’s aesthetic preference. It’s done under anesthesia and is a very minor procedure with a very quick heal time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There are minor health benefits in that it allows for increased air circulation to the ear canal, which can greatly reduce bacterial and fungal ear infections, but mostly it's aesthetic preference. It's done under anesthesia and is a very minor procedure with a very quick heal time.
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I just read a pro/con piece. I've always liked Dobermans and I've always liked the ears cropped look of the breed. I've mostly had floppy ear dogs and I imagine if the ears weren't already cropped I probably wouldn't do it even though I think they look better that way.

The author pointed out that neutering is surgery and nobody bats an eye at that painful procedure. Something to think about.

Keep the pics coming.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply. I just read a pro/con piece. I've always liked Dobermans and I've always liked the ears cropped look of the breed. I've mostly had floppy ear dogs and I imagine if the ears weren't already cropped I probably wouldn't do it even though I think they look better that way.

The author pointed out that neutering is surgery and nobody bats an eye at that painful procedure. Something to think about.

Keep the pics coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are minor health benefits in that it allows for increased air circulation to the ear canal, which can greatly reduce bacterial and fungal ear infections, but mostly it's aesthetic preference. It's done under anesthesia and is a very minor procedure with a very quick heal time.

Keep the pics coming.
Spay/neuter, especially pediatric spay/neuter are invasive procedures with very few health benefits and a whole lot of potential negative side effects, including cancer, orthopedic deformity and injury, and incontinence. Bad news for what amounts to owner convenience (pardoning a few legitimate medical conditions).
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't see a reason to have Dottie's ears done. I like her floppy ears.

It also makes her less intimidating. I have had people walk up to her without a second thought and ask what kind of dog. I say Doberman the facial expressions change to worry and they back up a little.

Then we start the conversation about how Dobermans are misportrayed and the myths.

Edit: Dobermans are my favorite breed. They encompass all the traits that a canine should have IMHO. When I think of a dog I think of a Doberman. They are the royals of the dog world.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#13]
The ear issue is really personal preference for the most part but there is a very good reason to dock the tails. Dobermans have a very thin long tail. They have a tendency to fracture.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
All gone but never will be forgotten, they were truly the best friends I ever had.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Ear cropping is like circumcission - breed standard in some circles.

That said, it is done under anesthesia, has a very fast heal time, provides minor health benefits in the long run.

Having multiple basset hounds, I can tell the horror stories of ear issues due to long ears, and the excessive amount of time each week required to keep their ears healthy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Step outside or someplace with lots of different sounds around you and close your eyes for a few seconds. Now cover your ears with your hands, choose a particular 'sound' that you hear being made and turn your head it its direction.

Open your eyes and see how 'closely' you were pointed to that exact sound...

It is very common to see cropped Dobermans turn / move their upright ears in the direction of sounds they are paying attention to or interested in. Before they have even moved their head or eyes they have used those ears like individual little radars to localize the directions that whatever sounds came from.

In this video, Linda from Aldercrest Dobermans explains it very well in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5YSTNyU6cY

"In nature, A natural ear is an erect ear. You will never see a fox, a coyote, a wolf, a dingo with floppy ears..."
"The floppy ears is a manmade aberration in the first place..."
She goes into detail as well about how easy it is to look at how the ears are 'set' on an erect ear dog (like the cropped Doberman) and use that along with their other body language to help determine their intentions.

She is correct and I can see how that would be much more difficult with a floppy ear dog.

Link Posted: 7/27/2018 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Retaping the ears. She enjoys the attention now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Retaping the ears. She enjoys the attention now.
View Quote
Those kind of collars with the cheapo plastic clasps WILL fail you when you least expect it. Hopefully it does not fail you when she is 'after' something or near a busy street...

I tossed every one like that I had in the garbage after the second failure and went with leather collars that had traditional steel buckles / clasps. A proper leather collar with a good clasp may cost a little more but it will outlive your dog if halfway cared for and can be used again for the next dog.

When you have a pair of dogs like me and one snaps the cheap nylon collar and plastic clasp - You got a 50% chance of getting them both back inside quickly if you move fast enough. Pretend nothing happened and quickly begin to lead the one dog that is still 'connected' back inside like normal and the other (unconnected) dog might follow along just like normal.

With a single dog - When that clasp gives up and the dog gets loose - You are potentially in for a good game trying to catch them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Buddy, my 15 year old Dobie/Lab mix in his natural environment. He can’t hardly stand any more the kids are going to be devastated.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Those kind of collars with the cheapo plastic clasps WILL fail you when you least expect it. Hopefully it does not fail you when she is 'after' something or near a busy street...

I tossed every one like that I had in the garbage after the second failure and went with leather collars that had traditional steel buckles / clasps. A proper leather collar with a good clasp may cost a little more but it will outlive your dog if halfway cared for and can be used again for the next dog.

When you have a pair of dogs like me and one snaps the cheap nylon collar and plastic clasp - You got a 50% chance of getting them both back inside quickly if you move fast enough. Pretend nothing happened and quickly begin to lead the one dog that is still 'connected' back inside like normal and the other (unconnected) dog might follow along just like normal.

With a single dog - When that clasp gives up and the dog gets loose - You are potentially in for a good game trying to catch them.
View Quote
Thanks. Well aware of the strength of collars. That is her tag collar that she wears for ID only. When she is on lead, she is in a leather and chain martingale collar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks. Well aware of the strength of collars. That is her tag collar that she wears for ID only. When she is on lead, she is in a leather and chain martingale collar.
View Quote
Awesome!

Sounds like this is not your first Doberman and you have things very well sorted out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Buddy, my 15 year old Dobie/Lab mix in his natural environment. He can’t hardly stand any more the kids are going to be devastated.
View Quote
THAT made my day.

You are blessed to have had that many years with your 'Buddy' and I hope you get to share many more.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

THAT made my day.

You are blessed to have had that many years with your 'Buddy' and I hope you get to share many more.
View Quote
He was six when I got him from the shelter in Colorado Springs. Pre-wife, pre-kids. I was told never to have him around small children. From the day we’ve brought our first home he has been nothing but well behaved. With every newborn he has absolutely refused to leave its side unless it was to eat or go out to water a tree. He can’t make it up the stairs anymore. After I put the kids to bed I have to carry him up the stairs at night. If I don’t he whines until I get him and he sure his “pack” is safe.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Rizzo

Duckie

Great dogs.  I have a lot of fun working with them.  They are super smart with a great temperament.  Unfortunately, these are old pics.  They are much bigger now.

ETA:  One more of them "guarding" my boston terrier.. lul

Link Posted: 9/2/2018 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
So I can finally contribute to this thread!  Meet Vixen, an 8 week old girl.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Liberty is just shy of 6 months old now. She is turning out absolutely beautiful and has one of the most wonderful temperments I have seen.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#27]
My former best friend. I have another dog now, a pretty good one, but I still miss this guy .

Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple more for the Christmas season-

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]
My 12 1/2 year old sweetheart

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Horizon's Sirius Power...AKA Bullet:

Attachment Attached File

Younger and even more goofy than now:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

He's getting older now.  We're going to hate it when he's gone.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Sig is almost 9 now.

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Our most recent foster, Jemma.  She went to her new home last week:

Our first foster, Reina:

Both were the closest we came to foster fails.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for posting, I still miss Onyx, he has been gone 33 years .   Every time I see a thread or dog in person I know he lives on through his cousins!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Gatsby 3 1/2yo
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Gatsby and Mia 6 1/2yo ( she is the Mom and was co owned with the breeder) We got Gatsby from her one and only litter.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Porter at 13 ish weeks.

Attachment Attached File

Current pic at 7 months. Guarding me from FedEx that is down delivering a package to the neighbors.

Attachment Attached File

Ha! He sat for just long enough for me to snap this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Handsome. I like the name too
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
They are never with us long enough
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.

Porter is a dog in the Mel Gibbson movie Payback. But it means "Keeper of the gate." What better name for a guard dog?

English and Scottish: occupational name for the gatekeeper of a walled town or city, or the doorkeeper of a great house, castle, or monastery, from Middle English porter 'doorkeeper', 'gatekeeper'
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My former best friend. I have another dog now, a pretty good one, but I still miss this guy .
So true. After he passed, it took some time before I could seriously consider another dog. After several years of researching and reaching out to various US breeders, I gave up on Dobermann's and bought a Dutch Shepherd.

My Dutchie is a good dog and he excels in some area's where my Dobie was lacking, but I still miss the Dobermann.

It's a real shame that old-school Dobermann's are damn near extinct.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I HATE this thread, because I want a dobie soooo bad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Spay/neuter, especially pediatric spay/neuter are invasive procedures with very few health benefits and a whole lot of potential negative side effects, including cancer, orthopedic deformity and injury, and incontinence. Bad news for what amounts to owner convenience (pardoning a few legitimate medical conditions).
View Quote
I would certainly argue with that.

Animals are far better off neutered.  The ONLY reason not to it is if the animal is to be bred for money.
Your 'negative consequences' are extremely rare.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Liberty is just shy of 6 months old now. She is turning out absolutely beautiful and has one of the most wonderful temperments I have seen.

View Quote
LMAO!

I thought she was hang gliding!
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:13:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Animals are far better off neutered.  The ONLY reason not to it is if the animal is to be bred for money.
View Quote
You are misinformed, but the topic should be debated in a separate thread rather than derailing a photo thread.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:23:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

My best friends and family, r.i.p pupsters
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Posing for Dog Fancy Centerfold?
View Quote
She’s a total goofball. She sleeps like that all the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except cancer and hip dysplasia and spay incontinence aren’t rare at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Except cancer and hip dysplasia and spay incontinence aren’t rare at all.
View Quote
I've been asked not to hijack this thread with a discussion about spaying/neutering.  So I won't.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top