BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do young people not also run over other folks?
View Quote

Sure do, and so do sober people.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the shitty drivers I see are well under the age of 50.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What was her life insurance like?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on the person.

My dad still drives at 94. However he also has the foresight to look at driving conditions and say, “Not today.”
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The timing of this post is impeccable. A few hours ago old lady in my town just drove into a preschool and ran over three children
View Quote

Christ on the cross. A mob of parents should get a pass dragging that person out of their vehicle and curb stomping their ass. Stubborn ass old people that think they’re entitled to keep driving after they’ve lost their faculties to do so safely...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol it is not always an accident. Local guy many years ago accidentally ran over his wife, then decided to leave the eastern portion on the country for Arizona after the last thump. Years later he ran into some people in Phoenix who recognized him, they asked him why he ran after accidentally running over his wife, apparently when he realized she was still alive and had not filed for a divorce he got mad.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:54:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Depends on the person.

My dad still drives at 94. However he also has the foresight to look at driving conditions and say, “Not today.”
View Quote

I said the same thing when snow turned to ice last week.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People not wanting to give up their independence and freedom. Who would have thought ?
View Quote

It’s scary the number of people from this site who support trampling on individual rights and privileges in the name of safety.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:58:19 AM EDT
[#9]
My 80 year old FIL has been in a wheelchair for about 5 years. Last year his license was up for renewal. Even though he has not driven for most of the past 5 years it was a huge point of pride for him to keep his license. The DMV allowed him to get behind the wheel for a road test even though it took a lot of effort to get into their van. With limited use of his legs and only one arm he passed the road test. The DMV made him get a doctor's approval to renew his license. His doctor flat out refused so the DMV would only issue him an ID. He was pissed beyond belief.
"THEY" took his license....
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
There are good old drivers and bad old drivers. I'm nearly 70 and I've had no accidents in over 20 years and the last accident that was my fault was 38 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My sister and I had a hell of a time getting my mom’s license yanked. It actually took us a couple of years. She was never a great driver to begin with, but she started having scapes and dents on her bumpers all the time. She never knew where they came from...

We finally got her doc to make her go for a senior’s driving test. They had full authority to take her license. She failed the test badly. The woman was actually scared on the drive.

My mom was pissed at us. She eventually got over it. I didn’t want her to kill anyone, or herself.
View Quote

In PA, you can write a letter of concern to the DMV to get a family member or other known person's license reviewed. The DMV won't reveal your name, but if the driver takes it to court as the next step in the appeals process, your name will be disclosed.

Thankfully my 85yo FIL has given up driving voluntarily and they traded in both of their cars to get my MIL a new one, but he still has his license.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#12]
In the early 90s Toyota Camry went through lots of driving incidents.
They came with fitted carpet mats. Old people would buy cheap bathroom rugs and put them down to protect the good fitted factory carpet mats.
The layers would catch the bottom of the accelerator. I caught my father doing this several times in his vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Christ on the cross. A mob of parents should get a pass dragging that person out of their vehicle and curb stomping their ass. Stubborn ass old young people that think they’re entitled to keep driving after they’ve lost their faculties to do so safely before their frontal cortex is fully developed...
View Quote

What "old people" say...as do statistics...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Older people should be tested more often, but as long as they are able to meet the standard there's no reason to penalize them
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Autonomous driving cars, can’t come quickly enough . . .
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have never met anyone who put down a dog to soon or quit driving to soon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
You honestly think a grippy 75 yo is going to
stop driving just because they don't have a license?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends on the person.

View Quote

My MIL who worked full time into her late 80s would do that. If the weather was crappy she'd either call us or a co-worker.

She was also meticulous about arranging her schedule around heavy traffic times to avoid it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

if the driver takes it to court as the next step in the appeals process, your name will be disclosed.
Kharn
View Quote

I would appeal it just to see who ratted me out.

If it was an act of kindness they'd get a pass. If it was malice their shit would be in the wind.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In the early 90s Toyota Camry went through lots of driving incidents.
They came with fitted carpet mats. Old people would buy cheap bathroom rugs and put them down to protect the good fitted factory carpet mats.
The layers would catch the bottom of the accelerator. I caught my father doing this several times in his vehicles.
View Quote

There was some kind of recall over this with my 2009 pickup.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m gonna say it as a Boomer....

My nephew totaled.  Three cars by age 20 & couldn’t keep a license due to insurance from totaling 3 cars.....

Not age-related.  Some people just don’t have the ability to:

Go to college, drive a car, be a professional golfer or Olympian....

We all have equal opportunities, it’s our individual abilities to meet those opportunities that sets life for us.

I’ve never understood why this is a difficult concept in America, but it’s truth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a weird age.
I know 75 year olds that bicycle and hike every day. 80 year olds that can converse intelligently and take care of themselves just fine and are in great shape.....

And then there are 72 year olds that didn't take care of themselves, have multiple medical problems and should already be in assisted living. And some I know are.

Clearly a case by case situation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, test all the old people at every renewal.
But that wouldn't be fair. Some lose the ability sooner than others. To be safe everyone should be tested at every renewal. Then again if they barely pass and get another 7 years before the next test it might be too late.
I think the only good way to do this is to install vehicle driving status recorders in all vehicles. This way the authorities will instantly know when some loses their driving abilities, drives drunk, while blathering on a phone or even drives when tired.
It is best for everyone this way, especially the children.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#26]
That was no accident.  He was just tired of her shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the shitty drivers I see are over 70.

A boomer in their 2000 Buick Lesabre in the left lane with the blinker on for 10 miles is more dangerous than a teenager.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#28]
When I thought my Dad was a threat to others on the road, I TOOK THE KEYS. Pulling a license isn't going to stop someone determined to be independent.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do young people not also run over other folks?
View Quote
From what I've read on the subject, young people get into more accidents, but old people get into more fatal accidents.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#30]
My MIL is 80 and should likely not be driving anymore.  Every time we see her I see new scratches and dents all over her car.  She never acts like they are there.  I imagine she has left a lot of dinged up cars in parking lots everywhere she goes.

The only upside is she does realize she cannot see well at night so she has quit driving after dark.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder how many of these people that are in favor of restricting other people are willing to take time to regularly haul elderly relatives around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:23:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#33]
A drivers license should have real world, poor conditions testing every 2 years, maybe every 6 months after you turn 65.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My MIL is 80 and should likely not be driving anymore.  Every time we see her I see new scratches and dents all over her car.  She never acts like they are there.  I imagine she has left a lot of dinged up cars in parking lots everywhere she goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My father was coming out of a Publix down here, and he watched as an old lady tried passing a guy waiting at the curb in front of the store.
Drove slowly by, dragging the side of her car along the side of his. Guy in the car got out and ran over to her, shouting, "What the hell are you doing, you just hit my car!"
The old lady was like, "What? I did?" She had no clue that she'd hit him.

My favorite element of elderly driving is that old people never seem to be driving a Mini or a Fit, or even a Civic or a Corolla.
It's always a fucking canal boat, like a Mercury Grand Marquis.

Quoted:
I wonder how many of these people that are in favor of restricting other people are willing to take time to regularly haul elderly relatives around.
My mother only just started grocery shopping again. Since the outbreak of COVID, I've been doing it for her.
When she's too old to drive, I'll drive her where she needs to go. I'll also set her up with Uber and Lyft, so she can go places if I'm not around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Same for guns?

Raise the age to be able go get DL?

See how stupid your thread is?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw a young lady swerving down the road, like a drunk. When I got next to her at a light, she had her phone in a dash clamp made for gps. It was streaming a video that she was watching. In her case a ban for life would be appropriate. On the subject of the elderly I think shorter DL renewals with testing would be good, but they are a powerful voting block, so that will never happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Same for guns?
View Quote
It isn't stupid at all. People's driving skills degrade with age. Some degrade to the point where they're a danger to themselves and others.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#38]
That's what driving tests are for.  They just need to be required (the driving part) more over a certain age.

My father turns 80 this year.  Puts thousands of miles on his fullsize (Freightliner frame) RV towing a 4 car stacker trailer going to racing events each year.  Where he drives his dragster.

Different people lose capabilities differently.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Really?  How much money are you willing to bet I am a boomer?
View Quote

Gramps, quit yer bitching and go drink some prune juice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’m gonna say it as a Boomer....

My nephew totaled.  Three cars by age 20 & couldn’t keep a license due to insurance from totaling 3 cars.....

Not age-related.  Some people just don’t have the ability to:
View Quote

Quoted:

Most of the shitty drivers I see are over 70.

A boomer in their 2000 Buick Lesabre in the left lane with the blinker on for 10 miles is more dangerous than a teenager.
View Quote

Again, anecdotal evidence isn't really accurate.  While I do agree more seasoned members of society should be tested more frequently, why is it that they have far fewer accidents than those under 30?  There are feelings and then their is factual-based data...although fatal accidents tend to favor the oldest drivers.

Quoted:
From what I've read on the subject, young people get into more accidents, but old people get into more fatal accidents.
View Quote

It's pretty consistent, but the data pretty much does support drivers over he age of 80 have the highest fatalities from accidents.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#41]
LOL, snot gobblers with a face full of fishing tackle booking their next tattoo on their phone going down the road in their econobox are about 100% more likely to have a wreck than Gam Jimmerson with spectacle lenses that look like they were surplused from the Hubble project headed to the Kroger with a fist full of coupons in her Electra 225.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Contributing factors to that are

- diminished reflexes in older people
- diminished physical capacity in older people (less muscle mass, let fat, hardening of the rib cage, less cardiac output, greatly reduced lung capacity...in short they have a poorer chance of surviving trauma).
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

One thing is completely independent of the other. I am all for barring people from operating vehicles if they don't possess the reflexes, musculature, eyesight and cognitive abilities to drive at a set standard.

Does not matter if they are 60 of 106, if our driving presents a DANGER to others, and that condition is not reversible, we should no longer be able to possess a driver license.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:52:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Same for guns?

View Quote

You should do a class on aging (geriatrics). You would be surprised at how much you will learn - far more than you know now, clearly.

I can recommend a few to you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It isn't stupid at all. People's driving skills degrade with age. Some degrade to the point where they're a danger to themselves and others.
View Quote

So punish them all for the actions of "some"?

Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#47]
A few years ago I went to my 78 year old grandmother's house and her gate was all sorts of fucked up. She said she forgot to put the car in park when she went to open it. I thought "damn, that thing has a strong idle."

At 2 am that night she woke me up saying she was in a lot of pain, what she described sounded like a heart attack so I ran her to the ER.

ER runs a bunch of tests and says there's nothing wrong with her.

Later that day I thought "God damnit. She probably just drove straight into that gate not noticing it was closed."

...she's still on the road
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You should do a class on aging (geriatrics). You would be surprised at how much you will learn - far more than you know now, clearly.

I can recommend a few to you.
View Quote

You should take a class on reading sarcasm.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sound familiar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sound familiar?

Strip licenses from those unable to drive safely. Nobody's being punished.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Everyone is afraid of something I guess. If it helps, from what I have read, traffic deaths have been trending downwards since the beginning of the 80's and selecting a car that has a high safety rating might bring one some piece of mind while motoring the highways.
Was in a van with a friend I was helping and his grandad was guiding him as he was backing out. He knocked the old man down and came close to running over him. Friend was in his early 20's.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top