Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2020 6:21:06 PM EDT
I order cigars online and they always come individually wrapped. Should I leave them like that or take them out?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest.

I’ve been keeping them in the wrapper in the humidor. Seems to be less damage to the wrapper when traveling with sticks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You can leave them in the wrapper and they will be fine. It's much better for traveling with them too.  I wish all full boxes came with the sticks individually wrapped. I throw that little Boveda in my traveldor when I hit the road.

Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive always heard to leave the wrappers if they have them, have done so, and have never had a problem.....    have a few stogies that are 15ish years old in cellophane still, the cello is funky and yellow, but they still smoke fine......
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to sound pedantic, but wrapper refers to the outer leaf of the cigar, you're talking about the cellophane.  Yes, leave it on.  It protects the cigar, and still allows it to breathe.  I've experimented with cutting off the closed end and trimming it to make an open ended sleeve, but it's more trouble than it's worth.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I generally leave them in the cellophane.

Sometimes I'll preemptively unwrap a few that will be smoked soon, or for display purposes in small table top humidors to look nice for guests.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I take them out of the cellophane and into the 70/70 humidor.  The only exception is any “flavored” cigars - I generally do not care for the flavored cigars but do enjoy the “coffee” or “whiskey” flavored.  These I either leave in their cellophane or put them in a sealed zip-loc to keep the flavors from “mingling” or tainting my other cigars.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave them in the cellophane. It helps keep the beetles contained if you get a bad stick.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing to be gained by taking them out of the celo. Except making the wrapper more susceptible to damage.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Cello breathes so store they how they came.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely keep them in wrappers if that's the way they came to you.  The cello is porous and will not retard the maturation of the cigar.  The wrappers offer protection to the wrapper, and the wrapper is everything on a cigar.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave them in the cellophane. It helps keep the beetles contained if you get a bad stick.
View Quote
This. Keeping them in the celo helps minimize damage, keep the oil in the wrapper, and contain beetles if you are so unfortunate to have to experience that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep them in the cellophane to protect the cigar wrapper!!!  (oh, and what kind of cheap-assed cigars are you guys buying that you have all this experience with beetles?)
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep your cigars as they came to you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#15]
According to the owner of Perdomo cigars leave the cellophane on and it breathes, says it protects physically the cigar. Other tapes of coverings do not breathe but cellophane will breathe since it's a natural/wood product according to him. News to me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I have kept some both ways, some in the wrapper, some out and can’t tell any difference with either. I believe keeping them in the wrap helps protect them from spreading mold and any cigar beetles That might hatch out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Agree with most posts. Leave wrappers on if they come with it. There is no harm and you can say it is a layer of protection from damaging the wrapper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top