Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/25/2021 9:14:11 PM EDT
Theres been a lot of talk about 401ks being attacked in the future among other horrible things. My 401k is currently around 130k...keep in my mind im still in my early 30s.

I mostly haven't thought about it much before 2020 but it went up quite a bit over the last year. I am not in debt whatsoever. I own my medium sized home and my car (a shitty 20 year old minivan) I have quite a decent amount saved up for my age due to not being married and no debt / no kids. I do okay with investing/ index etc. Mostly long term safe stuff,

My 401k is just a huge pile of cash sitting there like a target for the dems...I figure if take it out now and cant save up a decent amount over the next 30 years until retirement I don't deserve to live comfortably.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
the only way to lose at the stock market long term is to try and time the market. selling would be timing the market.

remember when trump got elected and the dems dumped their 401ks because he was going to destroy the economy? look at what happened to them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the only way to lose at the stock market long term is to try and time the market. selling would be timing the market.

remember when trump got elected and the dems dumped their 401ks because he was going to destroy the economy? look at what happened to them.
View Quote

True but Im not trying to time it...If I took it all out I would NOT put it back in ever. I would  kind of just start my 401k over from scratch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Theres been a lot of talk about 401ks being attacked in the future among other horrible things. My 401k is currently around 130k...keep in my mind im still in my early 30s.

I mostly haven't thought about it much before 2020 but it went up quite a bit over the last year. I am not in debt whatsoever. I own my medium sized home and my car (a shitty 20 year old minivan) I have quite a decent amount saved up for my age due to not being married and no debt / no kids. I do okay with investing/ index etc. Mostly long term safe stuff,

My 401k is just a huge pile of cash sitting there like a target for the dems...I figure if take it out now and cant save up a decent amount over the next 30 years until retirement I don't deserve to live comfortably.
View Quote

No, it literally fucking isn't. It's stocks and bonds.

China Joe sucks so much Wall Street cock that lobbyists have to occasionally slap him in the head to remind him to come up for air.

Your stock funds are fine. Don't be a fucking retard because other people say retarded shit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
no.

Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy fucking shit no.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

China Joe sucks so much Wall Street cock that lobbyists have to occasionally slap him in the head to remind him to come up for air.

Your stock funds are fine. Don't be a fucking retard because other people say retarded shit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant in terms of how the people that would steal it look at it lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That would be absolutely fucking retarded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So you are going to hide it in a wall?  Invest in real estate?  What's the plan?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Can’t really add more than what others have already said. Don’t do it bro.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So you are going to hide it in a wall?  Invest in real estate?  What's the plan?
View Quote

Meth
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]
No. Do not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be real retarded sir unless you have a really solid plan for the cash. Which you don't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No, if they can get your 401k they can get your cash, assets, whatever.  Let it ride.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
This should be good.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well seeing how the OP isn’t married, has no kids and drives a mini van, he probably is going to buy a whole lot of candy to drive around in the van with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Not only no, but fuck no.

And if we have a 50% crash tomorrow and Biden tells us the plan for the future looks bleak, dark forever, no more jobs, blah, blah.  Invest more.

Would probably have some food and water for a few months around the house though  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, it's rare we're so unanimous in a response
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much use it to buy a far bigger home in a much nicer area...With what I have saved + 401k + selling current home and whatnot I could live in a big dream home with big gun room, arcade and very nice sports car or low end super car with pretty much little to NO debt. I dont want to have all that stuff when im too old to enjoy it. Then make enough money over the next 30 years to retire lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you guys serious?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#21]
OP not married because he drives a minivan!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#22]
don’t make decisions based on fear
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]
N
O

No.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#26]
How can you pull it out, and never go back in but then in the same breath say you'll do you own 401k?

Meaning you would just use the money for a taxable stock account? you'd be in the market either way.

Fuck it, buy gold bars
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
no.

Leave it alone.
View Quote

The winning post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry I should have included my plan about the big house / supercar in original post. Had I just done this a couple years ago the equity alone would have been gigantic
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
You will need multi million dollar 401k to retire in comfort.  
Don’t pull money out.  You will fuck yourself.  Do you not hear every divorced guy say we are working until death?  That’s because we were forced to cash out and start over.  Why the hell would you do that to yourself?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless you have a plan for that cash don't.

Inflation is brutal right now
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#31]
That is a great way to turn 130k into 65k after taxes.

No do not take it out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pretty much use it to buy a far bigger home in a much nicer area...With what I have saved + 401k + selling current home and whatnot I could live in a big dream home with big gun room, arcade and very nice sports car or low end super car with pretty much little to NO debt. I dont want to have all that stuff when im too old to enjoy it. Then make enough money over the next 30 years to retire lol
View Quote

Big houses suck. higher utilites, more upkeep to clean and maintain. nawww

Nicer area sure
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Leave it in and add another $19,500 a year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said its $130k.... lol. You ain't rich...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#35]
lol doomers, it'll be taxed 50% in the end.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own my current home which is worth quite a bit and have a shitload of money in hobbies / assets, etc.

Edit : not saying I would be ultra wealthy or anything but definitely would have enough to live the lifestyle I want with no debt
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#37]
No. You tarded OP
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#38]
You seem like a intelligent, diligent human. Congrats there aren't many. You do need to work on compartmentalizing your emotions & your money though apparently.

Not just no. But HELL NO!

In 30 years when that 100K is 2.5 million you’ll be glad you left it alone.

Greed will always rule.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's more money than most of the poor, dumb motherfuckers in this country have, especially at his age.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Always follow the herd, what could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know you, but I like you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#42]
No and keep shoveling $$ into it. Make sure your investment mix is right for you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy God no.

Talk about turning assets into liabilities

The premise is also dumb, worst case scenario is that they tax a 401k at whatever the tax rates there are when you withdraw.

If they are going to reach into your 401k, they can get your checking accounts. You ever read about wealth tax? Bigger house could mean much higher property taxes or maybe a higher tax bracket if they start taking assets.

Go buy a bunch of monero (crypto) if you really think the above is possible
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Joe is gonna fuck Wall Street, Main Street, and your home street.

But..

Printing money is gonna fuck any stagnant amount of money that cannot keep up with inflation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#45]
My son in law got laid off in July and got $30K from his 401K and blew it before the end of August.
I mentioned that he will have to pay tax on it in 2021 and we got in to an argument over that conversation.
Told him that would be counted as income for 2020 and he should reinvest it.

He thinks it's free money and thinks he is going to get a big tax return in the Spring and asked me (us) for a loan.
We closed the bank.

We no longer talk .
Wrote him off.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Do you own rural land with fruit, nut and fuel trees?

Does it have a large gardening area, a chicken coop, and a living structure with a wood stove?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Hell no, leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

True but Im not trying to time it...If I took it all out I would NOT put it back in ever. I would  kind of just start my 401k over from scratch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But why?...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, the Democrats might come for it... but what else are you going to do with it?

You could put the money into a bank account, where hyperinflation might take it all. Or, the Democrats could institute a wealth tax and take it that way.

You could put in in gold and silver and having physical gold and silver is a good idea. But the Democrats could outlaw ownership of gold like Roosevelt did so...

You could buy land, again not a bad idea but Democrats can tax land too.

My advice, diversify as much as possible but keep your 401k.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well seeing how the OP isn’t married, has no kids and drives a mini van, he probably is going to buy a whole lot of candy to drive around in the van with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve cream perhaps?...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top