Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2023 8:00:20 PM EDT
This is in Team for a reason.  I feel like a schmuck for even considering this.  I have 2 parrots.  A Timneh that I’ve had for 23 years and a Greenwing Macaw I’ve had for about 18 years.  They both were wonderful companions when younger but over the past couple of years they’ve gotten to the point they don’t want to be handled. Getting them into their carriers to take for grooming or to the vet is difficult and I get the crap bit out of me. The Macaw has done permanent damage to my hands. My wife refuses to handle either one. They’ve also started screaming and carrying on for no apparent reason.  Usually when my wife, who works from home, is on a call or trying to concentrate.  I’m in their room trying to interact with them several times a day.

And now we are having trouble getting rid of pests in their room.  Pests which are starting to venture into the rest of the house. We had problems with moths in the past but learned to keep their food in the freezer. Now we have ants and roaches.  In all the years we’ve had them we’ve never had problems with ants and roaches.  At the old house we didn’t even have to exterminate on a regular basis.  In our new house we have the exterminator out several times a year and until recently didn’t have a problem.  Not sure what changed.  I remove their food at night and clean up any food I can see that they’ve thrown out.  Room is cleaned twice a week and papers changed several times a week.  Cages and play stands are taken outside and pressure washed every 4-6 weeks.  I have back and joint problems so moving these huge cages so I can clean leaves me hurting. Having to take them in and out of the house usually means I have back issues for a few days.

I’m boarding the birds next week so I can have the exterminator spray the entire house.  If that doesn’t get rid of the pests then I’m considering rehoming the parrots because it means that I’m unable to take care of them in a proper manner.  It kills me to even consider it.  I’ve always believed that when you take an animal into your home that you are responsible for them for the rest of their lives.  I made a promise to them when I got them that I would always take care of them until the day one of us died.  I feel if I give them up that means I failed them.

Thanks for reading.  Let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just FYI this isn't in Team so if you meant to post there you may consider asking a mod to move it.

That said, I think you need to consider what is best for both of you.  It sounds like you're doing everything you can within reason, so it all comes down to the fact that parrots live a LONG time, and things change. Circumstances change, people change, heck, as you've seen, even parrots change.

I'd not keep an animal that wasn't "giving back" in the relationship. I may be a bit colder than the next person when it comes to that, but if they've become too much of a burden and are a danger to handle (sounds like it, if we're talking permanent damage) then I'd not lose any sleep over rehoming them to someone who is up to the task.

That's my $0.02.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, rehoming sound like the right choice if they are hurting you, and keeping you from taking care of them.

We rehomed our muloccan several years ago for similar reasons. It sucked, but was the best choice. Be warned, it cost money to rehome him to a sanctuary, no one else would take birds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Check local zoos. They normally have people that deal with these situations.  People may not know but a macaw will bite with great force.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScubaDachshund] [#5]
Obsessed.  I started to put this in Team then decided it would be better in pets. Unfortunately I got distracted. Bright lights.  Pretty colors.  You know how it goes.   .

Krazy. You’re right.  People don’t understand how destructive Macaws can be.  When she was a baby she crushed my wedding ring while it was on my finger. Turned into an oval.  Almost had to have it cut off.  Had to have a jeweler reshape it. She wasn’t trying to damage.  Just playing. She fractured bones in the big joint of both thumbs.  She just didn’t want to be picked up but I had to to get her to the vet.  If she had wanted to take my thumb off she could have with no problem.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you with the birds the whole time when they are at the vet or groomer's?  I'm wondering if they didn't have a bad experience, and as a result they associated that with going into the carrier so they started acting out.  Since it became more of a chore to get them into their carriers you started doing it only to go to the vet or groomer, which just reinforces the lesson that the carrier should be avoided.

Otherwise... it's tough having critters that most folks either don't want or can't responsibly keep because the critter is destructive or has special husbandry requirements.  With your wife refusing to handle the birds I do think rehoming is the best option for both of them.  God forbid you become sick or injured unexpectedly, as she couldn't deal with them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Bubbles.  I’ve always been with them when they’re at the vet or groomer.  The Timneh has always been very chill at the vet and groomer.  He wasn’t a problem until he was 3 or 4. Went through a number of years where he didn’t want to be handled. Then over the last few years he has wanted to be handled on a limited basis but can turn bitey with little or no warning.  He actually jumped on my back and attacked me a few days ago while I was cleaning around his cage.

The Macaw acts like you’re killing her at the vet and groomer.  Screams her head off and is in full attack mode.  When she was little she would let me put her in and take her out of her cage and carrier.  I used to take both of them to the pet store and the park.  They loved it. But like the Timneh she got where she refused to be handled from about age 3 or 4. I miss my sweet baby birds.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:05:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#8]
Maybe try to reach out to some people in rescues and get some help?

This lady has lots of you tube videos etc about her and rehabbing various problem birds.

BirdTricks

I know absolutely nothing about birds, just like to watch them on the tubes occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
John57.  Thanks for the suggestion. I have talked to the breeders I got the birds from, avian vets, various bird groups on the internet. Tried what they recommended over the years but unfortunately all that earned me was bites and bruises. I tried to contact local avian behaviorists but they either don’t reply or they are no longer in the area or in the business.  

Funny thing is the Timneh over the past few months has gotten to where he requests to be handled.  And over the past couple of days the Macaw has requested to be picked up.  She only wants to sit on my arm for a few minutes then wants to go back to her cage.  It’s nice when they start wanting to interact but based on past experiences I’ll probably be getting the crap bit out of me in a week or two tops.  I have to board them in a few days so they aren’t going to be happy. Will probably be a set back then.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OP based upon everything you have written, I think you know the answer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like maybe you should.  Injuring you, causing problems with the home, it's probably time.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScubaDachshund:
Bubbles.  I’ve always been with them when they’re at the vet or groomer.  The Timneh has always been very chill at the vet and groomer.  He wasn’t a problem until he was 3 or 4. Went through a number of years where he didn’t want to be handled. Then over the last few years he has wanted to be handled on a limited basis but can turn bitey with little or no warning.  He actually jumped on my back and attacked me a few days ago while I was cleaning around his cage.

The Macaw acts like you’re killing her at the vet and groomer.  Screams her head off and is in full attack mode.  When she was little she would let me put her in and take her out of her cage and carrier.  I used to take both of them to the pet store and the park.  They loved it. But like the Timneh she got where she refused to be handled from about age 3 or 4. I miss my sweet baby birds.
View Quote

Given the lifespan of these guys, is 3-4 years old when they typically hit puberty?  That could explain the behavior change.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:29:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigBore45] [#13]
A friend has two macaws. Both turned 23 this year.  Both are quite friendly, always wanting to be a part of what's going on. They love to nibble on ears.
Those beaks scare the shit out me though.  They look like they could shear flesh from bone.  

I keep them at arms length.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Given the lifespan of these guys, is 3-4 years old when they typically hit puberty?  That could explain the behavior change.
View Quote

That’s what I figured.  Took the Timneh quite a few years to outgrow it.  He’s friendly and can be handled sometimes.  Others he’ll act friendly then bite the crap out of me. Never know which one I’ll get.  The Macaw is don’t touch most of the time.  Usually the only time I can handle her is when she has new feathers coming in. Then she wants help opening them. But even then I can still get bit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:53:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 69rrdriver] [#15]
I would call pamela clark. Shes a parrot behavioralist and I've had good experiences with her. As far as behavior changes at 3-4 years old that's when the hormones start for some larger birds. I have a Timneh and a blue and gold so I can understand your plight. If you have to move them and they're getting bitey you may have to learn to towel them. Neither of my big birds had good upbringings so they lack some in social graces, although both have made strides in my care. What are you feeding the birds now? Diet or illness can have pronounced behavioral changes in a bird. And study bird body language. It's hard some times but it may help you getting bit. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I rehomed my birds after having them for 13 years.
It wasn't fair to them that I could no longer care for them

This was over 15 years ago

They got noisy because I didn't give them the attention they needed.
I would get angry at them because of it and I pounded on their cage once to make them shut up

It was time for them to be in a home where they were loved.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:50:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 69rrdriver:
I would call pamela clark. Shes a parrot behavioralist and I've had good experiences with her. As far as behavior changes at 3-4 years old that's when the hormones start for some larger birds. I have a Timneh and a blue and gold so I can understand your plight. If you have to move them and they're getting bitey you may have to learn to towel them. Neither of my big birds had good upbringings so they lack some in social graces, although both have made strides in my care. What are you feeding the birds now? Diet or illness can have pronounced behavioral changes in a bird. And study bird body language. It's hard some times but it may help you getting bit. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
View Quote

Everything here plus know that birds can sense fear and will make you pay the  price. If they have been abused by a male, they tend to hold a grudge against men. We took an African gray in once as a rescue. The donor told us, a man will never be able to handle this bird due to abuse. By nightfall, she was lying in my lap on her back while I rubber her chest… it just takes time and understanding.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top