Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2021 3:12:08 PM EDT
I need a bigger trailer for my new SxS, as well as other duties and I'm tempted to build exactly what I want/need rather than buy one.

Basic Wants-
Long enough to haul the 1800lb vehicle with proper tongue weight
Deck over so I can load material on it with a forklift
Single axle for maneuverability
Brakes

Basic specs-
6'4" wide, ~13' long incl/ ~2' dovetail
Deck over
Rub rail
6k axle with brakes
3x4x3/16" rect tube frame (because I have a lot of it)
2" ball
~34" deck height

Benefits-
Does everything I need
Fits in single car garage sized space
Building stuff is fun and cool
Room for boxes below deck

Drawbacks-
Effort
Deck height
Weight, could also be a pro
Stupid, unnecessary layout with $0 resale value

Weird specs, right?  But I haven't found anything close to doing what I need.  

Talk me in or out of this, please.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always been a fan of building stuff. That said, I'd talk to a local trailer manufacturer and have them quote you. Unless you've got a cost plus type situation with suppliers you may come out ahead having one built.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have the skill to build it yourself then absolutely, go for it. Build exactly what you want/need, save money, and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I built one years ago. The biggest downside of the build for me was paint. I could never get it looking good and it rusted quickly.

I spent a fuck ton of money on rustoleom primer and paint. That shit was a major expense of the build. I got most of the steel for free at the time and I still wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Talk me in or out of this, please.
View Quote

Have you seen steel prices lately?  

Quoted:
I built one years ago. The biggest downside of the build for me was paint. I could never get it looking good and it rusted quickly.
View Quote

Yeah, once the frame is built, send it to a powder coater for cleaning and coat.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, once the frame is built, send it to a powder coater for cleaning and coat.
View Quote
I already own about 2/3 of the steel.

And yes, final trailer will be sent off for blast and coat.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only thing wrong with your plan is you need a second axle and 14’ with a nice ramp that’s easily removed. I have a 12 1/2 foot trailer with tandem axles. I sold my 16’ trailer just because I didn’t use it anymore. But I have a 20’ goose neck for larger loads. I would look at a 16” to 17” wheel option to be able to run used tires.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I just built a 16 foot double axle trailer to haul my SXS.  

A buddy had an old camper and I took the frame from it and beefed it up.

If it is just for the occasional hauling of the SXS and other lighter things this works great.

I had about 5000 lbs of wood on it a few weeks ago, and it survived.

Had about 300 bucks in the build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Only thing wrong with your plan is you need a second axle and 14’ with a nice ramp that’s easily removed. I have a 12 1/2 foot trailer with tandem axles. I sold my 16’ trailer just because I didn’t use it anymore. But I have a 20’ goose neck for larger loads. I would look at a 16” to 17” wheel option to be able to run used tires.
View Quote

Good point.  A deck-over is probably going to run at least 1100 pounds, if not more, and leaves you dang little headroom for 2000lb loads with a 3500lb axle.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good point.  A deck-over is probably going to run at least 1100 pounds, if not more, and leaves you dang little headroom for 2000lb loads with a 3500lb axle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only thing wrong with your plan is you need a second axle and 14' with a nice ramp that's easily removed. I have a 12 1/2 foot trailer with tandem axles. I sold my 16' trailer just because I didn't use it anymore. But I have a 20' goose neck for larger loads. I would look at a 16" to 17" wheel option to be able to run used tires.

That's why I was looking at 6 and 7k axles.
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless you have a source for cheap steel, I highly doubt that you'd come out ahead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless you have a source for cheap steel, I highly doubt that you'd come out ahead.
View Quote
I get 5x2x16' 11ga and 6x2x19' 11ga for free.  Sooooo

Still kinda on the hunt but my main riding buddy recently picked up a 24 deckover gooseneck, that's plenty for the immediate trips.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I considered building a single use trailer for my Hobart welder/generator along with fuel tanks and some other needs but abandoned the idea due to cost issues. My 12' single axel trailer with ramp does it all for me anyway and loading /unloading with my tractor is a simple task. Just didn't make sense. Now, after reading above, if you could find a beat up travel trailer and wreck it out THAT could have some merit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#14]
How far away do you tow your SXS?  Do you race?  Do you need spare parts etc?

First thing is I wouldn't do a single axel, go with twins.

Once you have your deck set up, and you have steel to work with add a tire carrier and tool box with overhead work lights.  Adding a winch will help you load it when it's broken.  And putting a fuel cell built into the trailer is cool when you are remote and don't have immediate access to fuel.  It can mount under the trailer behind the tongue.  

This is an illustration of what I am talking about, but add some work lights to the tower area where the tires are mounted.  The winch can be inside the box, and a 55 gal fuel drum with pump can be inside there too.  But it would be dead center to balance.

Basic Transfer Tank
Swing Arm Shop LIghts
Inexpensive Basic Winch

Don't forget to have spare tire carriers for your trailer too.  And room for a small generator.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
"Stupid, unnecessary layout with $0 resale value"

If you have the ability to make a good SXS trailer that can do what I post above, you could sell them with a good profit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How far away do you tow your SXS?  Do you race?  Do you need spare parts etc?

First thing is I wouldn't do a single axel, go with twins.

...snip
View Quote
No racing, if so that's exactly what I'd have.
Quoted:

"Stupid, unnecessary layout with $0 resale value"

If you have the ability to make a good SXS trailer that can do what I post above, you could sell them with a good profit.
View Quote
Id never do that.  I already manufacture some items and I know the headaches, no way I'd involve rolling stock and the typical driver.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No racing, if so that's exactly what I'd have.
Id never do that.  I already manufacture some items and I know the headaches, no way I'd involve rolling stock and the typical driver.
View Quote

Yeah, that's why I don't do it.  Race trailers are missing so many aspects, and SXS trailer are super basic, so I suspect there is a market for them.

None the less, just trying to share some of what is out there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
None the less, just trying to share some of what is out there.
View Quote
Thank ya!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top