Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2022 11:41:04 AM EDT
I have owned a few dogs over my life time, micro chipping a pet is something new to me even though it has been available for some time.

I recently adopted ($$$$) a three month old Miniature Schnauzer, small in size but large in character. Being that she will be at most 18 (my last dog, a Bouviers  de  Flanders' weighed 150 pounds and no one would F with him)   pounds as an adult and therefor easily taken should the opportunity present itself. I am leaning to having her micro chipped.

I suspect there are many owners in this beehive that have chipped their pets. I would like to hear your opinions on this matter.

Are all micro chips the same, can they be universally read,  have  any  of  your chipped pets experience issues with the chip. Is one manufacturer more reliable than another?

All information will be appreciated and "thank you" before hand.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes you should
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I really hate the idea- but we've had an awesome dog go missing before and it's horrible(we found him runover a few miles away).
All our dogs since have been chipped since then.
If your dog is more than just 'property', chip him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Absolutely. We recently brought home a stray. An awesome dog that is surely missed by its former family. If he had been chipped we would have returned him home but we’re unable to.  
He’s a good boy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m not understanding what the concern is. It’s what, $15-25?  Aside from that minimal cost, what is the drawback?  That it causes cancer?  The feds track it’s movement? Y’all gotta make big deals out of everything?  

If the dog were to break free and go missing, would you want someone that found it to be able to take it to a vet and determine who the owner is?  If yes, get the chip. If no, don’t. If the cost is too much, you can’t afford a dog and really should evaluate your situation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
I’m not understanding what the concern is. It’s what, $15-25?  Aside from that minimal cost, what is the drawback?  That it causes cancer?  The feds track it’s movement? Y’all gotta make big deals out of everything?  

If the dog were to break free and go missing, would you want someone that found it to be able to take it to a vet and determine who the owner is?  If yes, get the chip. If no, don’t. If the cost is too much, you can’t afford a dog and really should evaluate your situation.
View Quote

Of all your comments the only one that is relevant is "That it causes cancer"?

But then again so many other things, known and unknown do as well.

I appreciate the input but really?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#9]
As expected the beehive comes through once again.

Thanks to all of my fellow arfcomers for their input. I have done some research and spoken with my vet. He uses a microchip manufactured by Bayer called ResQ.

Wylie will be getting this one during his next vet visit.

Again, thanks to the hive for your input and opinion, we always come through for each other.

Stand Strong
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Absolutely
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By resteva:

Thanks to all of my fellow arfcomers for their input. I have done some research and spoken with my vet. He uses a microchip manufactured by Bayer called ResQ.

Again, thanks to the hive for your input and opinion, we always come through for each other.

Stand Strong
View Quote

Wylie!!!  My most beloved dog in life! An Aussie named Wylie.
He’s gone now but I still love him.
Good luck with your pup.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:15:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By seca40:

Good luck with your pup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By seca40:
Originally Posted By resteva:

Stand Strong

Good luck with your pup.

We waited a few days to give her a name. She is a Miniature Schnauzer and the name fits her.

Even though our companions leave us, their memories live on.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I chip all of my puppies before they leave for their forever home. I am also listed as the second contact in the database. Doing this paid off in February this year. One of the owner/handlers of one of my dogs passed away, the family did not want anything to do with the dog, so they brought it to a shelter. The shelter scanned for a chip, found it, contacted me, and I promptly drove to Oklahoma to pick the dog up. I have since rehomed the dog.

Chipping has saved a lot of dogs' lives.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Throwsabender:
Absolutely
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Definitely get a chip.

In my opinion, they should also have a collar with a tag that has your phone number on it.

Dogs get loose in our neighborhood all the time. It’s so much easier to read the number on the tag than to take the dog to a vet or shelter to get the chip scanned.

The chips are great backup in case the collar and tag gets lost.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Tatoo is better than a chip (just kiding) I like the collar with info best. Spent too much  money on my animals following what the vets have said to do. After a while you learn what his modis operendi is, and beat him to it, you are smart enough right?
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Definitely recommend getting a chip. I hear people are getting air tags instead. Don't know much about an air tag except they are put on a collar and you can track your dog with it, but I would go with a chip since it is implanted.

Not sure if anyone else has experience with the air tag though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Call your humane society or county pound. Ours does free chipping 3-4 times a year. All of my current dogs were chipped at the county for free
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#20]
All my dogs have been chipped.  I also have them wear a collar 24/7 with the chip # tag and another tag with my name, address and phone number.  I couldn't bear losing a dog because I was too cheap to spend a couple bucks. The I.D. tag also enables people to contact you directly instead of having to take the dog to  a shelter or vet to see who it belongs to. I consider the chip a backup in case the collar somehow gets removed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Chip your dog.  Also, use a collar tag.  Dogs can pull out of collars.  Thieves take them off. Can’t remove the chip.  Collar tag is for lazy neighbors who might not know or care to take your dog in to be scanned for a chip when they find him in their yard.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a few things to consider about chips.  There's no standard chip so there's no standard scanner.  Not all vets have the appropriate scanner.  Chips migrate. or can migrate.  So that spot at the scruff may now be around the chest.  Lastly, there is the risk that the body rejects the chip and that can lead to terrible problems.  I was all for chipping our new puppy that we pick up in a couple of days but a breeder gave me some food for thought and have changed my mind.  We recently lost our 5 yo otherwise healthy GSD to an autoimmune response, so now I'm especially careful what goes in the body, even when I'm told it's safe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#24]
If I wouldn’t do it to myself or a family member I won’t do it to my pup. If you’re worried about someone stealing your dog they aren’t gonna take it to the vet to see if it’s chipped first. I’ve had 4 dogs in the last 30 years none of them chipped. I was taught at an early age if a dogs happy he won’t run off, all 3 of my previous dogs wouldn’t hardly leave my side and my current dog is the same way. Won’t come through a gate or door without being told to because I spent the time to train them. Keep a dog fed and tired and give ‘em plenty of love and they ain’t goin anywhere. If it’s just a possession you wanna keep track of go for it. If it’s a part of the family don’t.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#25]
You can order the microchips relatively cheap online and do it yourself and register them at any number of databases without cost. I did that with my cats, east to do. I bought a 20$s or so chip reader too, so I could make certain the chip works and record the number from the reader.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 4:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
All my pups are collared and chipped.  If one goes missing, I want the maximum chance of getting them back.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top