Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2022 12:55:17 PM EDT
Just wanted to confirm what the laws/rules/regulations are for shipping a handgun as an individual.

From what I can tell, I need to include a copy of the FFL's license and a copy of my driver's license in the box. And I need to ship next day air via UPS. (Fedex no longer allows individuals to ship guns) and have it shipped at an actual UPS store and tell the clerk it is a firearm.

Am I missing anything? Does anybody know if I can print the label at home and when I drop it off just tell them it's a firearm or do I have to have them physically ship it/print label in front of me?

Thanks for the help. Just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not what you asked, but do you have to send it UPS?

An FFL can ship a pistol o another FFL via USPS. Having an FFL or a service like ShipMyGun send it might be cheaper than you sending it UPS overnight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time I shipped a handgun I used Fed Ex.  Did they change in the last couple of years?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
FedEx is FFL to FFL now. No individuals.

Some UPS Stations will give you hassle to if the manager is an anti-gun person.

It’s best to just ship through your FFL.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last time I shipped a handgun I used Fed Ex.  Did they change in the last couple of years?
View Quote
Yes, they changed from the need to have it go to or from an FFL from or to an individual (respectively) to a new policy of NO shipments except from dealers/mfrs that are part of their special firearms shipper program.

Many ship handguns via UPS 2nd day air and that will usually work if you have it boxed, sealed and with a pre-paid label (accounts are free to pre-pay and create labels from home) as long as it is going to an FFL.

FFL dealers/mfrs can ship handguns via USPS via priority mail and it might be cheaper to do it that way.

ETA:OP, you can't ship via UPS stores, only UPS depots. That's because store employees are not really UPS employees as the stores are franchises independently owned/operated.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. My FFL is expensive and it it ends up being a good deal more than shipping UPS next day. Plus it's a lot easier to just drop it off at UPS.

It seems like based on the info on their website (at the bottom of this page) I should be ok to print my own label and just make sure to drop it off at a UPS customer center and just let them know it's a firearm.
Can anyone confirm that is ok? Or do I have to bring in the gun and have them create the label and do all of that there?

Here is the UPS firearms page:
https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page?loc=en_US

Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I use pirateship.com and print my own label at home. I put a photo copy of my DL in the box along with contact info for the buyer. I then drop it off at my local UPS hub and I do not tell them what is inside. They accept it, scan it in, and hand me a receipt.

Easy peasy.

ETA - Make sure your buyer's FFL accepts from an individual.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#7]
It's been a while since I've done it, but checking the UPS next day rates they are insane now. So I might be using an FFL after-all
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time I checked UPS to ship a pistol it was over $100.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Make an account with Pirate Ship.  Good discounts, and you can drop it off at any UPS servicing location.  I've never been asked what's inside the box.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I found it cheaper to have an FFL ship
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use pirateship.com and print my own label at home. I put a photo copy of my DL in the box along with contact info for the buyer. I then drop it off at my local UPS hub and I do not tell them what is inside. They accept it, scan it in, and hand me a receipt.

Easy peasy.

ETA - Make sure your buyer's FFL accepts from an individual.
View Quote

By law you gave to notify them it is a firearm…

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just wanted to confirm what the laws/rules/regulations are for shipping a handgun as an individual.
View Quote

<-----FFL

From what I can tell, I need to include a copy of the FFL's license and a copy of my driver's license in the box.
View Quote

No carrier (UPS/FedEx/USPS requires a copy of anyone's FFL and never have. Before someone chimes in with "but this one time...." NO, NEVER, EVER has any UPS, FedEx tariff or USPS regulation required such. If the counter monkey says he needs it tell him "show me".

As a dealer, its a courtesy to include a copy of MY FFL in the box, so the receiving dealer easily can record the transferor.
The receiving dealer doesn't need another copy of his own FFL, undoubtedly he already has it.
If you are a nonlicensee, including a copy of your drivers license isn't reuired by any federal law or carrier, but it sure as heck required by almost every dealer who still accepts shipments from nonlicensees. While your DL isn't specifically required, it is required that the receiving dealer record the name and address of the transferor. A drivers license makes it easy.

And I need to ship next day air via UPS.
View Quote

Correct....or you could find a dealer to ship using USPS Priority Mail for less than half the cost of UPS Next Day.
I ship several handguns every week and depending on insured value they rarely exceed $50 and that includes the $10 fee I charge.

(Fedex no longer allows individuals to ship guns)
View Quote

Not just individuals, but FFL's have to be enrolled in their firearm shipping program. Fuck them.

and have it shipped at an actual UPS store and tell the clerk it is a firearm.
View Quote

Oh heck no.
UPS     How To Ship Firearms
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services, or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities).

Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

Am I missing anything? Does anybody know if I can print the label at home and when I drop it off just tell them it's a firearm or do I have to have them physically ship it/print label in front of me?
View Quote

You can print your own label.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Make an account with Pirate Ship.  Good discounts, and you can drop it off at any UPS servicing location.  I've never been asked what's inside the box.
View Quote

While you could, UPS would deny any claim for loss, damage or theft because you violated their tariff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 3:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]
would a car salesman be immoral if he sold a man a car which he then used to run over and kill people?

would a gun salesman be immoral if he sold a man a gun which he then used to shoot and kill people?

lets break down the arguments here. people say a gun is designed to kill people a car is not. wrong. a gun is designed to propel a projectile rapidly. what the individual does that the technology is up to him. many things developed by the military to help them kill now have civilian uses and purposes. explosives were an instrument of war, now they help us dig tunnels and collapse buildings.

people say you need a license to drive but not to own a gun, therefore the car transaction is already vetted. this is irrelevant because the 2nd amendment specifically enumerates our natural right to own a gun. furthermore, the license only vets their driving ability, it does not vet their intentions.

one should not be help responsible for the actions of another unless they are privy to their intentions. if you sold a gun to someone who decides to go on a mass shooting, you should not be liable unless he told you his plans beforehand and you sold it to him anyway.

criminal status and mental state is irrelevant. discrimination against either categories is prohibited by the supreme court.

therefore just pack it real good and send it via a courier service directly to him
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
would a car salesman be immoral if he sold a man a car which he then used to run over and kill people?
............................you should not be liable unless he told you his plans beforehand and you sold it to him anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
............................you should not be liable unless he told you his plans beforehand and you sold it to him anyway.

What the fuck does that nonsensical wall of blather have to do with the OP's question?

criminal status and mental state is irrelevant. discrimination against either categories is prohibited by the supreme court.

Horseshit. Literally horseshit.

therefore just pack it real good and send it via a courier service directly to him

Which is a felony.

-Advice that would cause a forum member to commit a felony and never own or possess a firearm for life.
-Makes erroneous conclusions about USSC decisions and firearms law

Classic dumbassery.
Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top