Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2021 1:06:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s complicated but you can’t set up something for someone else that you benefit from. But it’s a good idea to see the lawyer in person and have them explain it to you. As a POA you can only do things that are in that person’s best interests and unfortunately setting up a trust to avoid certain tax implications isn’t something that would be covered by the POA.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
True it is easier but still was something your MIL would have had to do earlier on herself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True it is easier but still was something your MIL would have had to do earlier on herself.
View Quote

Not necessarily an accurate answer.  Check your wife’s POA.  It may specifically authorize her to establish a trust and transfer assets to a trust.

Also, some states permit a conservator or guardian to establish a trust for the benefit of an incapacitated person.  If the state your mother-in-law lives in permits that it may be another alternative to accomplish the same goal even if the POA does not authorize the creation of a trust.  

State laws vary.  No one but a competent attorney in your mother-in-law's home state is likely to be able to give you a definitive answer on this question.  I would strongly recommend working with a seasoned trusts and estates attorney to make sure it is possible and that it is done correctly.

I focus on trusts and estates litigation and a significant amount of my money is earned when people do it themselves and screw it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top