Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2021 1:41:27 PM EDT
In Star Wars: A New Hope, Chewbacca didn't receive full recognition at the awards ceremony (that looked like the Nuremberg Nazi rally in Triumph of the Will).

Why is that?  Lucas answered in 1977:

“Chewbacca wasn’t given a medal because medals don’t really mean much to Wookiees. They don’t really put too much credence in them. They have different kinds of ceremonies,” Lucas said. “The Wookiee Chewbacca was in fact given a great prize and honor during a ceremony with his own people. The whole contingent from the Rebel Alliance went to Chewbacca’s people and participated in a very large celebration. It was an honor for the entire Wookiee race.”

However, that is a bunch of bullshit--as expected from Lucas.

The book, “Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker,” which was released six months before the film, was written by a ghostwriter who took the story’s basics from Star Wars creator George Lucas’s own original drafts of the script. A 1974 script draft, using an older spelling for Chewbacca’s race, also explicitly says that “Han presents Chewbacca and a delegation of Wookees with a treaty, gifts, and a medal of honor.”

Back in 2015, Marvel Comics published a Chewbacca miniseries by writer Gerry Duggan and artist Phil Noto. Set shortly after the events of Star Wars: A New Hope, the story sees Chewbacca build a friendship with a young girl called Zarro. Zarro was able to understand Wookiee, which meant the two could interact directly. At the very end, Chewbacca and Zarro parted ways, and Chewbacca gave her a gift - his own Rebel Alliance medal. It proved that he'd received one at some point, suggesting there really was another medal ceremony involving Chewbacca.

So what the fuck?  Are the Rebels just as racist as the Empire?  Maybe even more racisi, since some stormtroopers seem to be comprised of many different ethnicities.

Peter Mayhew (the guy who played Chewbacca) believed there were much more practical reasons. "One, they didn’t have enough money to buy me a medal," he explained. "Or two, Carrie couldn’t reach my neck, and it was probably too expensive to build a little step so that I could step down or she could step up and give me the medal."

So, in the end, it looks like Lucas was just a cheap motherfucker that tried to excuse his way out of fucking up.

That's my conclusion.  Any Star Wars nerds have any better reason?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Never change GD.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Chewy was co-pilot and under a life-debt to Han. Chewy don't need no medal.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured it was just because they did not know where to pin it to.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That's because the space democrats (rebels) are actually racists and hate brown people.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just think fisher couldn't reach over mayhew's head.  

Plus chewie already has that bandoleer, so it'd be too much flair.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I expect this from 4chan, not gd.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a movie.  It's not reality.   Maybe Chewbacca's medal wasn't ready for that day of filming.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Stormtroopers are clones.. they are all the same guy
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never change GD.
View Quote

Quoted:
I expect this from 4chan, not gd.
View Quote

I find myself oddly torn.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#10]
racism?
specieism?
some other ism

I'm sure he's over it by now or whatever
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Wookie Lives Matter!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Wouldn't Chewie have been on the gun when they shoot Vader?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]
FFS, really?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]
no pants, no award
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No, clone troopers were clones. At some point after the Clone Wars, they turned to “recruits.” I think the 501st stayed clones.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
At the end of the day, Chewy was an animal that really didn't warrant getting a "human" award. Notice that R2D2, also an integral part of the destruction of the Death Star, didn't get a medal. (He did get rebuilt though).
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Excuses and backpedaling. No medal for the brown guy.

Lucas's whiteness sickitates me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Always somebody getting skipped over for an ARCOM somewhere.  
Guess it was Chewy's turn.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#19]
They gave him a bag of beads backstage...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope. Conscripts are cheaper and more expendable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe because Princess Leia would’ve had Chewbacca’s junk right at the level of her face, when he would’ve turned to to be presented with a medal
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Serious star wars question ....why are people obsessed with star wars?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's because the space democrats (rebels) are actually racists and hate brown people.
View Quote

The Rebels were the bad guys. Vader did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Medal for what?  He wasn't the pilot.  He was the "CO" pilot.  Also he didn't tear anyone's arms off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Maybe because Princess Leia would’ve had Chewbacca’s junk right at the level of her face, when he would’ve turned to to be presented with a medal
View Quote

Probably not the first time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weird Wookie double tap.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Did they even accept Chewbacca into the Rebel Army, or was he used in a mercenary role and then shipped back to Kashyyyk?  

Maybe the Imperial force was more inclusive?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Millennium Falcon is a spaceship.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#30]
OP, reread what you wrote (or copy/pasted) and see if you notice the parts that completely negate your "questions"
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Once you go Wookiee
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Once you go Wookiee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you go Wookiee
  He will own your cookie?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Why would they give Han’s pet a medal?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Because of his screeching.

Star Wars Minus Williams - Throne Room
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I had heard from two sources I know (special effects and creature design)  that their impression  that the movie was originally focused on the humans, with the robots and Chewie being seen as supporting characters. Accessories so to speak.  Think of a cowboy and his dog, horse, etc. Things were not filmed in sequence so a lot of the importance of the droids and Chewie more or less developed as editing and shooting progressed.  As things were fleshing out in editing, it became apparent that the non humans were actually just as important and maybe even more marketable in merchandising.

Simply put, the script did not call for anyone to get medals but Luke and Han.  Notice that non of the other surviving X and Y wing pilots or support people got medals.  It was the Luke and Han show.  It was simply an oversight because Chewie was not as important as Luke and Han.  My guess is Chewie is actually very important and that in the Star Wars universe Chewie guilt tripped Han into going back to save the day.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Millennium Falcon is a spaceship.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Chewbacca finally got his medal in Rise of Skywalker.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After Kamino wS defunded..yes.  

But were talking about A New Hope are we not ??
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Chewy wasn't a main character so no one thought about it.  They gave him the medal he didn't get at the end of the last/latest movie.

Silly thing for fans to fret about anyway.  Pretty sure no one in 1977 thought Chewy would become as popular as he did.  Or that SW would still be around for that matter...
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#41]
What is with them Sandpeople?  Particularly the stuff they wear on their head.  They seem to be nomadic, and maybe indigenous (I do not recall ever seeing them off Tatooine).

I would assume their head garb assists them in the dessert climate, but no one else wears goggles and such.  I would like more detail on what the head gear does.

Correction: Tuskin Raider is the preferred nomenclature
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wookie Lives Matter!!!
View Quote

So moochelle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Why even have him walk down the aisle with Han and Luke and go up in front of everybody if they weren't going to give him a medal?  Why not just have him stand there waiting like R2 and C3PO?  Talk about rubbing his nose in the fact that they weren't going to recognize him.

As far as him being too tall for Leia to put it over his head that's silly.  If they wanted give him a medal I'm sure he would have been able to bend over or kneel down so she could get it over his head.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Chewy was given the honor of commanding the presentation. He growled the command for the troops to turn and stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Carrie pawned it for more coke money
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Psh. Lets be honest, they basically just gave Han and Luke a unit challenge coin and Certificate of Achievement.

I bet the Yavin staff officers who sat in the TOC staring at their screens got a bronze star and an above-center-mass OER for their “leadership.”

Leia only got a promotion because she was a female LT with a pretty face and we KNOW she’s the S1 because she’s presenting the awards her shop probably lost three times before they got downgraded. Oh and I guarantee Luke still had to sign a statement of charges for the damage to his X-Wing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Because he's a species of color. Obviously.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

First Officers get no love...   lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. And anybody don't like it, Chewy's gonna pull their arms outta their sockets.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#50]
A New Hope summarized poorly:

A religious extremist radicalizes young man, who then blows up a government building.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top