User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
$100/HR!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
So McDonald’s net sales in 2020 was $19.2 billion. Gross sales was $9.7B. So they are one of the Billion Dollar Companies.

Most of this money comes from the franchise fees times 37,000 restaurants. Under Hawley’s law it would still push burger flipper’s wages to $15 / hr. So saying it is directed at Amazon, Walmart, etc doesn’t negate the fact that it would still force laying off people and raising prices at the local level. And running a franchise is a headache with slim profit margins. The franchise buys product recognition and support, but not the same percentage big profits that the head corporation sees.

Edit: first value listed should be Sales/Revenue, not net sales.

Www.marketwatch.com. Stock MCD
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Naaa, $2000...Hell, $20,000 an hour. Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Like the cost won't be passed on, Senator Dumbass?
View Quote

You really don’t understand why he is putting this forward ???????

The Democrats,after making it a campaign promise to fight for it,have decided they will run away from the idea because big companies that are huge donors to them have told them to do so. The dumbasses who voted for Biden because they thought they were going to get $2000,$15 minimum wage,student loan forgiveness...and he is attempting to give them a choice: side with the donors or side with with voters.

If he doesn’t do this they get to skate and use it as a campaign promise in 2022.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And with the outsourcing those non-skilled positions will lose benifits like medical, dental, and maternity leave that smaller companies can't give.

These Congressmen are college educated and are intentionally overlooking the rather simple to see "unintended consequences" of artificially setting a limit on the value of someone's labor. That leads me to believe that the Congressman of Missouri are out to cause poverty, inflation, and unemployment.
View Quote

Or maybe they are trying to reframe the debate from "Why do you hate poor people?" to "Why do you support large evil corporations over mom and pop biz?"

You can fight a battle by attacking the front or the flanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t care whether he’s right or wrong on any particular issue, Hawley is nothing more than a giant penis with ears.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not when you see what it could do to the labor force at a smaller company.
View Quote

By the time inflation catches up and it will happen fast because these companies will still make their bottom line, the 15 dollars will be worth 7.50 so they get nowhere.  You do not need to be a Wharton graduate to figure that one out. The smaller companies will simply cut back and get rid of people to survive or have to adjust their prices and price themselves out of business.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So McDonald's net sales in 2020 was $19.2 billion. Gross sales was $9.7B. So they are one of the Billion Dollar Companies.

Most of this money comes from the franchise fees times 37,000 restaurants. Under Hawley's law it would still push burger flipper's wages to $15 / hr. So saying it is directed at Amazon, Walmart, etc doesn't negate the fact that it would still force laying off people and raising prices at the local level. And running a franchise is a headache with slim profit margins. The franchise buys product recognition and support, but not the same percentage big profits that the head corporation sees.

View Quote
How is net sales larger than gross sales?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bet this doesn't affect very many people.

Something tells me Microsoft isn't paying coders $10.50/hour.
View Quote

I think you'd be surprised.  Jersey Mike's, Jack in the Box and Dunkin Donuts certainly aren't paying everyone $15 an hour, but they exceed the revenue threshold for this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

By the time inflation catches up and it will happen fast because these companies will still make their bottom line, the 15 dollars will be worth 7.50 so they get nowhere.  You do not need to be a Wharton graduate to figure that one out. The smaller companies will simply cut back and get rid of people to survive or have to adjust their prices and price themselves out of business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not when you see what it could do to the labor force at a smaller company.

Of course.  That's the other angle.

Three major things are being discussed here:

1)  The lunacy of placing an arbitrary value on labor.  It causes unemployment.
2)  The blindness to what this does to competition.  Everyone has to compete for labor, and companies who can only afford to pay less are going to find it difficult to compete.
3)  The ignorance of reality when it comes to who ultimately pays the price and what it does to the dollar.

To all you saying "Smart move Senator... I see what you did there" are failing to register the harm this would cause if enacted.  Sure, it punishes these virtue signaling leftist corporations, maybe, hardly...  It also punishes those who have to compete with them.

He probably intends this to fail, but it's a dangerous game.  If I was a leftist, I'd take him up on that in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I’m afraid it’s going to be lost on most of the crowd here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that was me while reading.

Quite clever. It's like saying "Muslims are right about women."

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why would I want to punish companies that are successful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fuckin genius really. When you look at the list of companies this encompasses... it's nearly everybody you'd want to punish with such a bill.

Because no billion dollar company pays that little
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Meanwhile, the full attack on the 2nd A is being ignored.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
lol. Big corp liberals suddenly against $15 minimum wage in 3...2...1...
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fuckin genius really. When you look at the list of companies this encompasses... it's nearly everybody you'd want to punish with such a bill.

lol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Senator Hawley is a bright guy.

While your traditional Republican is willing to lose an election by foolishly getting into a fight over a $10 minimum wage versus a $10.25 minimum wage, Hawley is taking the fight to the big corporations and hitting their bottom line.  This is a brilliant strategy on many levels, including providing a benefit to small businesses over large businesses.

The only thing better would be to put Amazon and Walmart on "lockdown" for the next 12 months, so small businesses can try to recapture their screwing over the last 12 months.  After all, we can't prove that all those shipping boxes aren't spreading the China virus, can we?
View Quote

This. The midwits in here will never understand it though as they are living in the past. They’ll pretend to hate “woke” directives that these big corporations put out and then turn around and simp for them. It is hilarious and sad at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I approve this. Leftists want to make big corps the sole businesses in the US, then let them shell out the money to their employees even if they're foreigners. This way the leftists idiot voters can see just how much big corps really like them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think you'd be surprised.  Jersey Mike's, Jack in the Box and Dunkin Donuts certainly aren't paying everyone $15 an hour, but they exceed the revenue threshold for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And suddenly, everyone's a 1099.

Though I like the theory of this. In the current environment, since it was proposed by an R, the D's MUST oppose it. Their true believers will not allow agreement with the nazis
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
There used to be a country show called Hee Hawley.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How is net sales larger than gross sales?
View Quote

I’m looking at the www.marketwatch.com website for McDonald’s annual income statement. The first line of the report is Sales/Revenue listed as 19.21B . Eight lines down is Gross Income at 9.72B . About 40 lines down is Net Income listed as 4.73B . In between is a lot of deductions/expenses/tax credits/losses that juggle the figures around.

Yes, the first value I listed should have been listed as Sales/Revenue, not net sales.

At what point is a franchise considered a Mom-n-Pop vs. a corporation?

The hope is yes, the bill is to twist it around on the democrats mantra of ‘Big Corporations Bad’. I understand the nuances mentioned. I just look at the ‘what if’ and enough of the dems don’t get the nuance, and calls his bluff? Because there a few in the senate with the mentality of the squad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Something brilliant at play here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the first things I learned here is that nuance is beyond GD’s comprehension abilities.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Though I like the theory of this. In the current environment, since it was proposed by an R, the D's MUST oppose it. Their true believers will not allow agreement with the nazis
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IRS wishes a motherfucker would.

That's not something they play around about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don’t care whether he’s right or wrong on any particular issue, Hawley is nothing more than a giant penis with ears.
View Quote

Well you can have Claire Bear back... no?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

One of the first things I learned here is that nuance is beyond GD’s comprehension abilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's one problem with bluffing... sometimes you get called on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#27]
$15 isn't what it used to be. Even if this (stupid) proposal passes, there aren't many people making less than that for it to affect
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Walmart
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Missouri hates kronke, rams
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#30]
We should just print enough money to make everyone a billionaire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#31]
They are just leaving the USA faster or creating little companies to segment the same group into separate entities etc..

also $15 wont be enough shortly

etc etc etc things why this is bs and all that
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A lot of you don't realize that most large corps are already starting people at at least $15/hr.
View Quote
Costco is kicking it to 16.

Let the invisible hand of the market decide. If a position can't support 15 bucks there's always a work around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Elections have consequences
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I think this as fucking retarded of a proposal as anything AOC has done. Hopefully that was the point.  If he’s actually serious fuck him, if not serious, good troll.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]
WORLDWIDE

MAKE THIS LAW APPLICABLE TO BILLION DOLLAR CORPORATIONS ON ALL WORLDWIDE OPERATIONS

POS COSTCO CEO, cant fathom how a $15 min wage would be bad for small businesses.   FUCK COSTCO
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well you can have Claire Bear back... no?
View Quote

Nah. Never liked her either.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Inflation is going to go crazy
View Quote

Yes, but any company for which this stupid legislation is a problem will either move offshore or simply reorganize itself to fall under the threshold.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Elections  thefts have consequences
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Zero fucks given. People only understand one thing in this world, getting kicked in the balls.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's going right over some heads, too. Pretty savage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So McDonald’s net sales in 2020 was $19.2 billion. Gross sales was $9.7B. So they are one of the Billion Dollar Companies.

Most of this money comes from the franchise fees times 37,000 restaurants. Under Hawley’s law it would still push burger flipper’s wages to $15 / hr. So saying it is directed at Amazon, Walmart, etc doesn’t negate the fact that it would still force laying off people and raising prices at the local level. And running a franchise is a headache with slim profit margins. The franchise buys product recognition and support, but not the same percentage big profits that the head corporation sees.

Edit: first value listed should be Sales/Revenue, not net sales.

Www.marketwatch.com. Stock MCD
View Quote

Franchise owned local not national.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep sandy vagina mcrascal would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#43]
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/15/amazon-jeff-bezos-gains-24bn-coronavirus-pandemic

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos grows fortune by $24bn amid coronavirus pandemic

Small businesses took it up the ass during the wuflu  with the mandatory close downs. I see no problem, especially as the bigger businesses support raising the minimum wage KNOWING that their smaller competitors will be harmed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Republicans showing they don't actually believe in conservative ideals like limited government and the Constitution
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've never been to a Dunkin Donuts corporate store. Neither have you. They're 100 percent franchise locations. I would bet dollars to dunkin donuts that no franchisee is doing a billion dollars in revenue.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
He's obviously just trolling the Democrats. This isn't a "real" proposal and won't go anywhere. Not sure why people here are taking it seriously, it's obviously meant for a laugh.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I understand why, he wants to protect small business. They are less likely to afford minimum wage increases.

But at the same time less people would be willing to work at a small business. Why work at a local store for $10 when a big retail store charges $15?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Make it $20.

Bonzai bitches!
View Quote

"That's not a living wage."

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the going rate in Bangalore?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You really don’t understand why he is putting this forward ???????

The Democrats,after making it a campaign promise to fight for it,have decided they will run away from the idea because big companies that are huge donors to them have told them to do so. The dumbasses who voted for Biden because they thought they were going to get $2000,$15 minimum wage,student loan forgiveness...and he is attempting to give them a choice: side with the donors or side with with voters.

If he doesn’t do this they get to skate and use it as a campaign promise in 2022.
View Quote

Thank you.

At some point the mindless populist Left needs to wake up to being stooges.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top