Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/10/2023 4:50:29 PM EDT
started on this monday from a local clinic.    Supposedly delays the emptying of your stomach so you feel full a lot quicker, amongst other things

Also exaggerates the effects of both alcohol and caffeine.      I can attest that its odd for me to be looking in the fridge now for a snack and grabbing some roast beef - eating 2 slices and putting the rest back ,  or drinking 2 beers and waving off a 3rd as im starting to get tipsy, but whatever

I'm hoping it works , i've tried lots of diet protocols (like most guys' who are carrying around a bit too much ) -- will be keeping a log of my progress, -- lost about 5 pounds since monday, but im big enough that i can attribute that to a water weight swing too
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#1]
So far it's working for the wife. Gonna start it soon. It appears to take care of all the willpower issues and all the things GD would attribute to weakness of character.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far it's working for the wife. Gonna start it soon. It appears to take care of all the willpower issues and all the things GD would attribute to weakness of character.
View Quote

"weakness of character"  -- thats me -  but seriously , at 51, with a sedentary job thats draining and trying to play catch up on the weekends, -- i'm going for it  --i just dont prioritize the time to train enough anymore - and realizing that most of the battle is in the kitchen, i seem to routinely f-up there too, despite having a bit of knowledge on the subject
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm more of a fan of "drink some water and find something to do" if snacking is starting to win.

One strategy I use though is just to make snacks that are better. Pickled eggs and jerky are incredibly satisfying, pretty much pure protein, and reasonably low calorie.

At the end of the day just tracking your calories and macros is always a solid strategy.

We are going to have in interesting few months in our house. My wife is counting calories to lose weight, and I'm trying to gain 10 lbs. I'm going to have to do sneaky snacking because she's going to be hungry more often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#4]
any nausea / vomiting or other troubling side effects?
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I take it via a research peptide.  Same stuff a fraction of the price.
No real issues. Just getting full quicker.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#6]
     "any nausea / vomiting or other troubling side effects?
'

Got a bit of heartburn that i'm knocking out with a Zantac (hopefully) .     Went for a mountain bike ride yesterday and had an irritating amount of dry mouth,  which is also one of the signs of going into ketosis for some people too, so who knows

Appetite has been in the toilet.   Yesterday was literally 2 scoops of protein powder with almond milk and i had to force myself to eat an avocado before bed.    And regarding Siper Bowl festivities?   drank one beer and half of another one and had to cap it and put back in the fridge (can use it to marinate something later) -  and the day before (Saturday) was one sandwich at about noon.  Admittedly it was a high calorie blowout sandwich, but still.

its a unique sensation living on so little food.   Today is my one week checkin at the clinic i use, but i weigh myself every day ,  so its 7.5 lbs in a week.     Im not calling that a victory yet because i know those of us that have a significant amount to lose can at times swing 4 or 5 lbs in a day in water, -- but its a start
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing I will say. If you eat something that doesn’t agree with you, it’s a longer ride than normal.  
I made bread yesterday and it was a very hearty bread.  I am feeling it today.  Last I ate was dinner yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One thing I will say. If you eat something that doesn’t agree with you, it’s a longer ride than normal.  
I made bread yesterday and it was a very hearty bread.  I am feeling it today.  Last I ate was dinner yesterday.
View Quote

This, a big meal I feel bloated for the night and the next day.   I try to eat smaller meals but I have been hosting a nephew while he works in my area but he is a bit picky and likes to eat in volume.. Bad influence on my shopping and dining habits.  My fault.  

I can skip lunch pretty easily though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was cautioned against the fatty keto-centric foods i was accustomed to, but i think really its more about eating bland foods.   Too much spice or savoriness is upsetting me.

But to your remark about bread --   a few days ago last week, i had a cup of chili for lunch (Homemade Texas style , no beans and kind of mild on the spice - but still enough to be an irritance) --  thats not a heckuva lot of food, and i was ravenous 2 hours later, so just made a couple of slices of toast with Sola "keto bread" - a staple of a dirty keto program -  but anyway - that bread triggered something and i felt like i had a 3 pound dumbbell in my stomach for hours

I maybe flirting with disaster but lunch was more keto food -  about 8oz of ribeye, untrimmed ---   i will see if it triggers heartburn later i guess, but i think a bigger trigger is spices, seasonings and anything artificial or heavily massaged (like keto bread, or even protein powder )

I had my first follow up with second shot and weigh in this morning and the result was 8 pounds down from last time, -- i'll take it , but was expecting more like 10 with as little as i've been eating, and 5 or 6 is normal when you cycle back onto keto ater being off a while.       The staff seemed to think that was great though as they said the medicine doesnt kick in for 2-3 weeks for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

I made a very “heavy” loaf of bread.  It’s great, but it’s not the storebought crap my stomach is used to.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was cautioned against the fatty keto-centric foods i was accustomed to, but i think really its more about eating bland foods.   Too much spice or savoriness is upsetting me.

But to your remark about bread --   a few days ago last week, i had a cup of chili for lunch (Homemade Texas style , no beans and kind of mild on the spice - but still enough to be an irritance) --  thats not a heckuva lot of food, and i was ravenous 2 hours later, so just made a couple of slices of toast with Sola "keto bread" - a staple of a dirty keto program -  but anyway - that bread triggered something and i felt like i had a 3 pound dumbbell in my stomach for hours

I maybe flirting with disaster but lunch was more keto food -  about 8oz of ribeye, untrimmed ---   i will see if it triggers heartburn later i guess, but i think a bigger trigger is spices, seasonings and anything artificial or heavily massaged (like keto bread, or even protein powder )

I had my first follow up with second shot and weigh in this morning and the result was 8 pounds down from last time, -- i'll take it , but was expecting more like 10 with as little as i've been eating, and 5 or 6 is normal when you cycle back onto keto ater being off a while.       The staff seemed to think that was great though as they said the medicine doesnt kick in for 2-3 weeks for a lot of people.
View Quote

is the clinic ok with low carb / keto eating while on these drugs?
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

is the clinic ok with low carb / keto eating while on these drugs?
View Quote

I'm on day 8 - i am literally modifying my approach almost daily depending on the reaction I get from certain foods .   If per se' i experience any negative side effects from a path i am going down, i will reverse course immediately.  

But i described what i had been eating yesterday at my check in and there werent any eyebrows raised, but i was advised to start incorporating more cruciferous vegetables as i need fiber.  

I had a coach a couple of weeks ago tell me ,  "graze on fruits and vegetables throughout the day, then eat a modestly sized dinner and good things will happen "  -   had a kiwi and a cup of blueberries for breakfast and the sugar headache hit me like a ton of bricks  . A1c is 5.1 so not diabetic , so the headache from all the fructose was puzzling, but then again it may have been a shock to my system
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
My Dr. believes this is the future for fighting obesity.  It works.  The problems are supply and demand and fighting insurance companies for coverage.  In our area, the cost is $1050 per month if your insurance doesn't cover it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Dr. believes this is the future for fighting obesity.  It works.  The problems are supply and demand and fighting insurance companies for coverage.  In our area, the cost is $1050 per month if your insurance doesn't cover it.
View Quote

Yea.  My insurance won’t cover it.  But they will cover a gastric bypass for $100.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When your BMI is 23, but your A1C is 10.5, and your 18+ hour fasting glucose is 175 and goes to 254 when you finally give in and eat dinner,

. Getting a bunch of Americans with lower weights will have statistically significant positive medical impacts in a bunch of other areas.

View Quote

You have my sincerest empathy for what you go through with that

I'm at the point that i cant enjoy riding my mountain bike anymore.  Everything hurts when you're over 300 lbs.   I'm oddly in good health per blood work, but the exoskeleton is falling apart -- knees, shoulders and back hurt all the time and my goal is to experience the performance benefits of getting lighter
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I found that the lower doses of Ozempic actually seemed to increase my appetite but the final 2mg dose worked.  I lost 32 pounds on my own but I credit Ozempic with helping me to lose the additional 25 pounds I needed to lose to make weight for gastric bypass surgery.  The surgery was eight weeks ago today and I'm down another 49 pounds.  I could have tried to just use Ozempic and not get the surgery, but I'm really skeptical that I can reach my goals with Ozempic and I had my fill of fighting the insurance assholes over Testosterone and didn't want the prospect of the same with Ozempic for the rest of my life.  

So for anyone who is going to try Ozempic, don't give up if the initial, lower dosage doesn't help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
any nausea / vomiting or other troubling side effects?
View Quote
I had none, even at the highest dose.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 10:30:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So for anyone who is going to try Ozempic, don't give up if the initial, lower dosage doesn't help.
View Quote

I fired out of the gate with a week 1 weight loss of 8 lbs, but 4 days into week 2 and i'm staying steady at 8.     I'm constipated and eating very little.   Modifying my keto-ish HAd to eat some carby foods yesterday to bring my blood sugar up a bit and feel great  , other than back pain from constipation

and by carby foods, -- breakfast was full fat yogurt with some maple flavor added with grapes, kiwi and macadamia's mixed in.

Lunch was hummus and pita chips  

Capped the day off with 2 Mich Ultra's while i was cleaning up my garage and thats it .    Dont know how anyone could maintain weight on a spartan eating regimen like that, but i am .   My dose is .25
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Update:

Abandoned the keto approach.       I had severe back pain when sitting down and a lot of discomfort and then i realized - hmmmmm -   the medicine can lead to constipation , so can a low carbohydrate diet.   Thats keto on keto crime -- i'm locked up tighter than a tuned Smith & Wesson revolver right now and taking the usuals,  miralax, chocolate chews, fiber powder - whatever to ease it up a bit.

I've taken enough Miralax to prep for a colonoscopy, so im not leaving the house until a blessed event occurs.    You dont want to be caught out when that stuff starts kicking in

last 2 days breakfast was just some yogurt with some fruit (whatever i had on hand ) and some cashews mixed in, but today was simply a homemade broth i extracted from chicken soup i whipped up in a crockpot.   Feel like eating anything solid may be ill advised until my treatments take effect
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Update:

Started this process on Feb. 6  -- my next weigh in and shot is Monday MArch 6, so that will be exactly a month,  

However, at my last weigh in they noticed some inconsistencies between my home scale reading and their scale -- so i went back today to double check the progress as i wanted to see if i needed to stay the course until Monday, or put the hammer down for a goal line push as i close in on the 1 month mark

23 pounds -- i was expecting 18, but there could be some differences - wardrobe choice, etc - things like that (and yep, i'm being anal enough about to to try and wear the exact same thing evry time i weigh in now)  --

Anyway - i'm happy with that for now, but am still going to keep the hammer down this weekend.  ITs not like i feel like eating anything anyway, but possibly a tall Bloody Mary is in order   .    Still on the initial .25 mg dose.   I have had side effects - very little appetite, lethargic, nausea, nasty belching at times,  -- but my analogy is this -   a guy who is dying in the desert of thirst is not going to second guess a muddy puddle of water if that is the only thing around
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
We are going to tweak it a bit.  Rather than 1mg once a week, I’m going to split it into 2 injections spaced out a few days apart.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hadn’t realized that was the case for me until you stated that.  Very true.  Eat something heavy or especially carb heavy and the bloated logey feeling lasts a couple days.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been taking injectable 5mg Mounjaro (tirzepitide) weekly for 3 months now.  Closely related to Ozempic, but newer, and more complex metabolic mechanisms.

My A1C has plummeted, my appetite is far less, and I get that full feeling after eating half of my usual reasonable portions.
Like you OP I have to deal with some acid indigestion.  It comes and goes at night, but it's nothing a Tums and some milk can't handle.  I did a 14-day Zantac regimen, but you're not supposed to take it longer than that.  It helped a lot.

I've lost 25 lbs.  And I feel much better.  I do have to watch that my blood sugar doesn't go too low.  I can tell pretty easily so it's not a huge deal.  I haven't seen 70mg/dL in forever.
So far I've gone from 3mg sulfonylurea down to 1mg per day.  I'm hoping my doc will take me off it completely.

I'm so grateful she was able to get me the $25 copay coupon.  No way I could afford the $900/mo.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a miracle drug.

The biggest problem right now is that doctors are writing scrips for these drugs to people that don't have diabetes, making supplies disappear.
I appreciate the weight loss side effect, but that's not WHY I take it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If insurance plans all rejected this class of drugs without a confirmed diabetes diagnosis or lab work showing an A1C of 6 or higher etc. People with actual diabetes might be able to get them.

I haven't been able to find 4.5mg Trulicity anywhere for about 9 months now. Best I can do is the 1.5, and I can't get it Rx'ed for 2x of the 1.5 dose either. And my endocrinologist put me on Trulicity in the first place because the Ozempic was already unobtanium.

When your BMI is 23, but your A1C is 10.5, and your 18+ hour fasting glucose is 175 and goes to 254 when you finally give in and eat dinner, having a chicken breast and some broccoli... and you already take 2000mg of Metformin, Jardiance, 50 units of Lantus (glargine) a day, and 20 units of Aspart with meals...

I'm not going to lose toes with an A1C of 10.5, probably, but getting to 7 would be nice.

The Abbot Freestyle Libre CGM is cool though. Paying out of pocket for it is worth it. Amazing that a Bluetooth monitor, battery, and a needle all fits in a sticky-patch the size of a quarter stuck on the back of your arm, and runs for two weeks. Constantly updating your phone  from 20-30 feet away..

It's real Star Trek stuff. Too bad my results always say, "Just don't eat. Anything. Ever."

It gets tiresome.

Hopefully, the huge demand for GLP-1 agonists will eventually increase supply and lower prices for everyone. Getting a bunch of Americans with lower weights will have statistically significant positive medical impacts in a bunch of other areas.

Although, with the capital investments required, the FDA paperwork, and concerns that the demand from cosmetic users will fade, or move to something else before sunk costs are recouped, might mean the usual free-market incentives won't apply.

Or worse, some wierd-ass cancer will show up in a larger user base that the original trials didn't uncover, and they'll wind up with class-action lawsuits on late-nite TV. So they may be content to just ride things out as-is too.
View Quote

My stupid insurance company refuses to pay for the new Libre 3, which is a more sophisticated CGM.  They say they'll only authorize it for people taking insulin.

So I told my doctor to renew my scrip for the Libre 14-Day.  It's really a 'pseudo CGM.'  Works pretty well, though.

The rest of your post is all true.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We are going to tweak it a bit.  Rather than 1mg once a week, I’m going to split it into 2 injections spaced out a few days apart.
View Quote

FYI

How long does semaglutide stay in your system?

As a dose of 0.5 or 1 mg, semaglutide has a half-life of 7 days; therefore, it would reach steady state in 4-5 weeks. There are few drug interactions and dose adjustments are not necessary. However, similar to other GLP-1 RAs, semaglutide can delay gastric emptying and may impact the absorption of oral medications.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve been on .75 mg of Trulicity for 16 months. I haven’t lost any weight but my A1C is 6.1

I eat a keto diet and completely avoid rice and gluten

It’s a miracle drug for me

Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FYI

How long does semaglutide stay in your system?

As a dose of 0.5 or 1 mg, semaglutide has a half-life of 7 days; therefore, it would reach steady state in 4-5 weeks. There are few drug interactions and dose adjustments are not necessary. However, similar to other GLP-1 RAs, semaglutide can delay gastric emptying and may impact the absorption of oral medications.
View Quote

Yeah.  We started at 0.25 and gradually worked up to 1mg.  Wanna say it took 1 month to get up there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Did wegovy for about 6 months, lost 45 lbs. $25 a month. Got to 2.4 dose.

Lost insurance and had to stop. Used a compounding pharmacy and got it for 350 without the fancy pen, had to inject with a syringe.

Seemed to lose effectiveness after a while.

Doc won't write a script foe Ozempic, even though it is the same thing.

Looking at getting from Canada, but only have the low doses.
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Look at the peptides Reddit. I get mine for $60 for 5mg
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#31]
So does this boost your metabolism or reduce the appetite?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It does a lot.  It slows down the digestion.  So you are “full” for longer.  I’m basically at 1 meal a day.
It also changes the way your body absorbs glucose.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#33]
You fat bastards are really screwing with my Diabetes medicine. I take it for it's intended purpose and have lost 30 lbs on it in about 9 months. It does work it has my A1C at 6.2
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah.  We started at 0.25 and gradually worked up to 1mg.  Wanna say it took 1 month to get up there.
View Quote

I am still at .25 - interesting how every individual will react differently to something

I did my 1 month anniversary weigh in this morning.   Still at 23 lbs down and holding.   I let the staff know at the clinic that the last 2-3 days i have been hungrier than normal and have ate about a third more per day than i have previously (still at far less than 2000 calories per day, but more than i've been able to stomach in the last month.

WE conferred briefly about kicking my dosage up, but mutually agreed that being a little hungrier and staying the same weight for 3 days does not constitute a stall-out yet.  

My big splurge over the weekend was a big slice of New York deli style pizza coupled with a huge salad with grilled chicken - i've never been a fan of commercial dressings, so dressing was simply some olive oil and a lemon squeezed over the top .  2 months ago, this type of mail wouldnt have been a blip on the radar and i wouldve been hungry for more pizza an hour later though

Mentally as i was driving away , i noted to myself that i am going to need to exert a little bit of willpower on days i am feeling a bit hungrier.     Going to have to condition myself to do that anyway because while this drug is a very valuable tool so far, i dont want it to be a long term crutch

I have been adding in carbs in the form of fruit drinks with yogurt and collagen powder and stuff whipped up at home to try to keep constipation away, --- but when you feel that old fashioned familiar feeling but only launch out the equivalent of a half bag of Whoppers malted milk balls after a 10 minute red faced effort,  its a clue that more fiber/veggies etc are probably in order
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

definitely reduces appetite more than giving any kind of boost.   I feel like a tree sloth.   but like anything else, results seem to vary from person to person

Link Posted: 3/6/2023 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#36]
My doctor put me on it for my T2, it was great right up to the point when you couldn't get it because fat not diabetic people were all getting on it because of Tictak. Now on Trulicity, it's not as good but you can get it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You fat bastards are really screwing with my Diabetes medicine. I take it for its intended purpose and have lost 30 lbs on it in about 9 months. It does work it has my A1C at 6.2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You fat bastards are really screwing with my Diabetes medicine. I take it for its intended purpose and have lost 30 lbs on it in about 9 months. It does work it has my A1C at 6.2

Quoted:
My doctor put me on it for my T2, it was great right up to the point when you couldn't get it because fat not diabetic people were all getting on it because of Tictak. Now on Trulicity, it's not as good but you can get it.

I don’t give a shit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don’t give a shit.
View Quote

So you can’t build the self discipline to stop over eating, you turn to off-label use of a diabetes med that is making it hard for people who actually need it to procure it, and then you display a complete lack of empathy.

Your character comes through clearly in this series of posts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So you can’t build the self discipline to stop over eating, you turn to off-label use of a diabetes med that is making it hard for people who actually need it to procure it, and then you display a complete lack of empathy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t give a shit.

Bro. My shit doesn’t even come from a pharmacy.  
I pay $60 for 5mg.  
You really should be pissed at your pcp for not putting you on a generic. Ever notice they always change your med up as soon as a med loses patent protection?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I pay $60 for 5mg.  
You really should be pissed at your pcp for not putting you on a generic. Ever notice they always change your med up as soon as a med loses patent protection?
View Quote

Neither semaglutide or tirzepatide have a FDA approved generic and won’t for a number of years. The current “generic” options are “research chemicals” which are supposed to be for non-human use or compounded versions offered to prescribers by licensed compounding pharmacies.

The research chemicals are generally sold online without a prescription and may or may not be the real thing. They also generally require reconstitution by the end user and knowledge of self injection. Prescribers aren’t likely to recommend this route due to the uncertainties.

The compounding pharmacies require a prescription and likely source their peptides from overseas manufacturers where drug patents don’t exist and likely will not be covered by insurance. They will most likely be reconstituted in the pharmacy and labeled. Theoretically they should be legitimate but there’s no data I can find to verify that.

For patients with T2DM, their insurance will likely cover one of the name brand meds and will be their least expensive option. For those trying to lose weight their less expensive options are one of the compounding pharmacies or roll the dice with the research chemicals.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Neither semaglutide or tirzepatide have a FDA approved generic and won’t for a number of years. The current “generic” options are “research chemicals” which are supposed to be for non-human use or compounded versions offered to prescribers by licensed compounding pharmacies.

The research chemicals are generally sold online without a prescription and may or may not be the real thing. They also generally require reconstitution by the end user and knowledge of self injection. Prescribers aren’t likely to recommend this route due to the uncertainties.

The compounding pharmacies require a prescription and likely source their peptides from overseas manufacturers where drug patents don’t exist and likely will not be covered by insurance. They will most likely be reconstituted in the pharmacy and labeled. Theoretically they should be legitimate but there’s no data I can find to verify that.

For patients with T2DM, their insurance will likely cover one of the name brand meds and will be their least expensive option. For those trying to lose weight their less expensive options are one of the compounding pharmacies or roll the dice with the research chemicals.
View Quote

I was talking about metformin, or glipizide.  I’m familiar with what a generic is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was talking about metformin, or glipizide.  I’m familiar with what a generic is.
View Quote

Well, those meds (especially metformin) are usually used in conjunction with, rather than a replacement for, the GLP-1 receptor agonists. Not trying to take sides-just stating the fact that there isn't really a generic replacement for these meds in the T2DM population.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I started Ozempic about 6 months ago, I was 260 and am now weighing in at 199. I can not tolerate a dose higher than .5 and have been at that level for 5 months. I tried to go to 1mg and began having severe stomach cramping and about half way through the week would start to burp up fermented food and the gas buildup would be so bad, it would distend my stomach to the point it was tight. I had to find ways to compress my stomach to force burp to ease the pain. That night, I would always vomit up everything that was in my stomach and everything was fine till the following week. I decided that .5mg was the most I could take and not have that reaction. Even .75 would be too much. My Dr. says I am what they consider a super reactor to the med and she is fine keeping me at that dose. My A1C was @ 6.9 at one time and I have been taking my glucose levels every so often for the past several months. 1 hr after I eat, my sugar level is in the 80-90's. matter of fact, I just ate a bowl of ravioli (not chef boyardee) 1 hr ago and my sugar is at 88. I had blood work done last week and have not had a chance to have my dr go over it with me yet but I expect a night and day difference in my lab work. My wife is on it as well and is doing just as good as me. It is a life saver.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I started Ozempic about 6 months ago, I was 260 and am now weighing in at 199. I can not tolerate a dose higher than .5 and have been at that level for 5 months. r.
View Quote

Great results!   Have you been upping your physical activity to go along with it?

I was at .25 for the whole first month, as i reported here on 3/6.   Was working well until today.  I have been ravenous.  More hungry than i ever felt pre semaglutide, and craving shit food.    

I'm going to talk to the folks at the clinic at the next weigh in and see if upping to .5 is needed but i will have to muscle up on willpower for a few days.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I pay $60 for 5mg.  
View Quote

I'm private pay too.  The clinic i am getting it from is $400 a month.   If my results stay positive, i would gladly pay triple that , but 5mg would be more than a 2 month supply for me at a .5 dose.

But even at $400, i'm actually saving money right now with how much less food i have been eating.  My inability to stomach processed foods means i havent been to a restaurant since i started as i need to have some control over the ingredients of any foods i eat -- even single ingredient foods like a steak or chicken breast from a restaurant like Outback or something is over seasoned for my current tastebuds ,  and on the nights that i kick back some cool ones, i am limited to 2 or less.  Not uncommon to drink a beer and then think another might be nice, then i take 2 sips and put the rest down the drain (which is a crime itself).  

I do miss going to dinner with my mountain bike buddies after a ride, or hitting up a bloody mary joint with my motorcycle friends on Sunday mornings - but they'll get over it and i am hoping to be able to better enjoy all of those activities in a few months (cycling and cruising on the motorcycle -- not necessarily eating for the sake of eating)

It was funny, the nurse at the clinic i go to told me at the last weigh in that 23 lbs was awesome and i should celebrate that - and i smiled and thanked her, but deep down i know i wont be satisfied until i start hitting some of the short term goals i have set for myself and the first one is to lose the 40 lbs i gained over the last year.        But it occurred to me that in the past, many celebrations of milestones centered around dinner somewhere with some wine or something.   Now that i dont feel like eating , i'm going to have to find new ways to celebrate life's milestones.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I tried it made me super dehydrated no matter how much water I drank. It made my back ache - I’m guessing from kidney pain.

I gave it up and hitting the gym instead.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I’ve been on semaglutide since Sunday. I’m not overweight but could slim down in the gut a little. It’s an obvious difference. I skipped lunch altogether yesterday at work. Sometimes I feel a little bloated but that’s it. Wife is also on Mounjaro and it’s doing the same for her.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Keep in mind that the drug is only effective for about a year. Probably less at higher doses. So mentally prepare to pick up yourself when you get off it

Attachment Attached File

It sucks. But that's how the cookie crumbles. Or In this case, the cookie box gets eaten.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I pay $60 for 5mg.  
View Quote

@20229mm
Where do you get your supply from?
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that the drug is only effective for about a year. Probably less at higher doses. So mentally prepare to pick up yourself when you get off it

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327887/semaglutide-weight-loss-study_jpg-2739166.JPG

It sucks. But that's how the cookie crumbles. Or In this case, the cookie box gets eaten.
View Quote

I hope to hit my goals within a year and can knuckle down with training and willpower,  -- however, i wonder if cycling off for a few months and going back on would be effetive  - or if its too early to tell
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top