Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2020 8:38:07 PM EDT
I was wondering what the process was for me to sell a rifle to an ffl in his state not mine.
What information will i need from him?
Does he just give me a receipt and everything is ok?
Please let me know what else I might be missing. I have never sold a gun before, let alone across state lines.
Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Follow the states laws.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are not a FFL get a receipt and copy down the first 3 and last 5 of his FFL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was wondering what the process was for me to sell a rifle to an ffl in his state not mine.
View Quote

Hand him the gun, he hands you $$$. He'll need your name and address for his bound book.

What information will i need from him?
View Quote

Directions to his store.

Does he just give me a receipt and everything is ok?
View Quote

Yup.

Please let me know what else I might be missing. I have never sold a gun before, let alone across state lines.
View Quote

Thats's all thats required by federal law
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Follow the states laws.
View Quote

^^^ This.  It can be tricky, every state is different.  If you are going through an FFL they should know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
One important thing to remember since you are an Illinois resident. You MUST retain who you sold the gun to for 7 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top