Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 11:17:45 PM EDT

I just got in the SBDC063 today. I saw this in person at Wind Up and also at the Seiko boutique and it is a impressive watch. The bezel turns as good as all the MM's I have owned in the past. The hands in person looks great. Not perfect though, if they were polished like the applied hour markers then I think it would have looked better. But they look like they have a blasted finish.  :shrug: Movement winds smoothly, and seems to be running great.

Some people call this the Baby MM. I really think this watch stands on its own. Yes the case is like the MM but it wears lower on the wrist for sure. And that is the only resemblance to the MM. If there was a more universal version of the MM when it comes to every day wear it is this watch.

This watch actually wear better on the wrist than the Seiko SKX007. Weird huh? Because specs wise it doesn't' seem like it would. At 44mm wide vs the SKX 42mm it totally doesn't seem possible. Due to the angled sides though the actually real-east the watch takes up is seems smaller, much like the MM. The SBDC is 13.5mm high, the SKX is 13.25mm, seems taller right? Not really. I think the reason why is the longer lug to lug of the SBDC is 49mm, which makes the watch spread out more evenly on the wrist. The SKX tends to have a short/tall stance and feel higher up.

I am really happy with this watch. I might change the hands out but I am not sure yet.  :tap: I know a few guys are using the MM hands and it looks great. I just think they need to be a little longer.

Enjoy gang!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool !  I like both ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice Seikos. Fellow fan. For 2x the price of a SKX the SBDC should wear better!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice Seikos. Fellow fan. For 2x the price of a SKX the SBDC should wear better!
View Quote
The Seiko MM is 5 times the price and doesn't At least not for my wrist
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 063 and think it wears better than my Tudor BB.  I also have the 051 and like it as much
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice watches.  There’s something I like about their dive watch style
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Which movement does it use? 6r15 ? 4r36?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
6r15
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my 007; have it it on a Strapcode Super Oyster with a Submariner clasp.

But that 063 is niiiice.

Toxic, is the dial blue or black? Can't really tell from the pics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
black dial blue bezel
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
black dial blue bezel
View Quote
Yep. Here's mine with MM300 hands.

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
No comparison.  Face is better.  The bezel on 007's, 775's and 777's is cheap looking.  The sharper knurling on the bezel looks 10 times better.

And I don't own one.  I have the 775 and 007.  The lack of a coin edge sucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
6r15
View Quote
Nice! That's a beast of a movement. Everyone is raging about 2824 clones but the 6r it's far more rugged
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 4:24:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No comparison.  Face is better.  The bezel on 007's, 775's and 777's is cheap looking.  The sharper knurling on the bezel looks 10 times better.

And I don't own one.  I have the 775 and 007.  The lack of a coin edge sucks.
View Quote
Just get new bezels ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:20:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at the watch (as well as the SBDC065). There is a lot to like about them but wish the lugs were 22mm.

That and the thing that really gives me pause is, while I understand these are not Rolex's but they aren't exactly cheap either so when I go to a site like SeiyaJapan and they have notes like these...

NOTE:

• The chapter ring and index & bezel index and face index not being aligned perfectly.

• In general, Seiko's screw down crowns are not smooth as Swiss manufactures'.

View Quote
Make me think WTF? That's not the kind of warnings I want to read about a $700-$1k watch?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been looking at the watch (as well as the SBDC065). There is a lot to like about them but wish the lugs were 22mm.

That and the thing that really gives me pause is, while I understand these are not Rolex's but they aren't exactly cheap either so when I go to a site like SeiyaJapan and they have notes like these...

Make me think WTF? That's not the kind of warnings I want to read about a $700-$1k watch?
View Quote
Gnomon will check and validate chapter ring alignment for you, so I've read.

ETA: Dammit the one with black bezel for $710 is tempting.

My only hang up is the hour hand - not a fan. I bet a set of Sword hands would be nice.

hmm
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
True, but when most of his buyers are overseas and nick pick the shit out of stuff then he has to cover his ass with clauses like this. I never heard of some one buying one from him with an issue.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah.  I first was doing JDM buys though them  like in 2002 or so and never had an issue.

I am a pretty big Seiko fan.

In real time my first was a 6309 at the PX in 1986.
A 7002 at the PX about five years later.
And an H602 from Costco about a year after that.

Around 1999 or so I was looking for a replacement for my lost 6309.
I was pretty into scooping up Seiko dive watches as a collector for about a dozen years.

I have or have had multiples of all their classic styled ones except a 6215.

Stuff like the 300m 6159 and 600m 6159 blew about anything else out of the water in their time.
The 300m and 600m 7549s were also top shelf stuff when they came out.  Hell, the SS 300m is begging for a high end automatic movement and SS bracelet.

The 6217 was not all that great.  The first model 6105 was a step up but still no screw down crown.  The second model 6105 again, not quite a crew down crown.  The 6306/6309 crushed it as a ledgend.  The 6309-7290s were a shift into the later, slimmer, cases.  The 7002 was a poor substitute.  The 7s26 SKX007/175 were a pretty good continuation.  While the cases evolved from slimmer to asymmetric to cushion cases to slimmer, and indices varied from round and rectangular, you could pretty much follow the DNA and recognize a basic Seiko 150/200m diver.

Now, brands like Rolex have even more familiarity in their evolution of the Sub and SD.  Seiko, Omega, and some others have a confusing array of multiple other styles of divers that share little or none of the base style.

A few things Seiko has done irk me.  One is moving towards stubbier hands, and the other is putting the Lume indice on the seconds hand on the wrong end.  Also, they made a true, very high end reissue of the 6217, in limited numbers.  Then they bring out this homage instead of a reissue.  Why not just make a decent mid range movement reissue like they did for the 6309?  (Although they had to put that stupid x in the middle of the dial and use anweong end seconds hand). I don’t want a stubby hand “sort of a 6217.”

I would love to see a reissue of the second model 6105.  Exlactly like it in appearance, but a mid range movement and true screw down crown in the 500$ range with their typical super Lume.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gnomon will check and validate chapter ring alignment for you, so I've read.
View Quote
I was going to ask about that place as they seem to be the only place that has the SBDC063 with Bracket. So is Gnomon GTG?

I wish I knew about them earlier because they also sell the Steinhart Ocean1 Black without the cyclop which is the one thing I really do not like about mine.

I really like my Steinhart O1B because the quality seems outstanding for the price but I'm over the Sub Homage look. Looks aside, is this Seiko really a step up quality wise?
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was going to ask about that place as they seem to be the only place that has the SBDC063 with Bracket. So is Gnomon GTG?

I wish I knew about them earlier because they also sell the Steinhart Ocean1 Black without the cyclop which is the one thing I really do not like about mine.

I really like my Steinhart O1B because the quality seems outstanding for the price but I'm over the Sub Homage look. Looks aside, is this Seiko really a step up quality wise?
View Quote
I’ve bought from him before. Everything was gtg.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Gnomon (Ander's) is one of the few og's that actually stock microbrands and has excellent service. You can't go wrong with them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would love to see a reissue of the second model 6105.  Exlactly like it in appearance, but a mid range movement and true screw down crown in the 500$ range with their typical super Lume.
View Quote
They'll re-issue the 6105 eventually, but it'll be 46x52x14mm and have big-ass mouse pointer arrow hands.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#22]
So nobody commented on the Seiko SBDC063 vs Steinhart O1B quality wise? Outside of looks, brand loyalty or personal preferences, is there really much difference between the 2?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So nobody commented on the Seiko SBDC063 vs Steinhart O1B quality wise? Outside of looks, brand loyalty or personal preferences, is there really much difference between the 2?
View Quote
I have owned a few Steinhart's and Debaufre's and the cases didn't have enough curve for me. The 42mm Sub's from Steinhart feel to top heavy. But they quality is great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have owned a few Steinhart's and Debaufre's and the cases didn't have enough curve for me. The 42mm Sub's from Steinhart feel to top heavy. But they quality is great.
View Quote
I have fairly large wrists (7.75) and the Steinhart fits me great but I'm just wanting something a little less homagy and a little higher end. My dream watch has always been an Omega Seamaster but I'm having a hard time justifying the prices on them. I feel much more comfortable in the ~$1k range and have always like Seiko's so that's why I'm looking hard at this one. If this one had 22mm lugs, I probably would have pulled the trigger on it already. I just feel that proportionally, a 44mm case needs a 22mm strap, especially in my wrists.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have fairly large wrists (7.75) and the Steinhart fits me great but I'm just wanting something a little less homagy and a little higher end. My dream watch has always been an Omega Seamaster but I'm having a hard time justifying the prices on them. I feel much more comfortable in the ~$1k range and have always like Seiko's so that's why I'm looking hard at this one. If this one had 22mm lugs, I probably would have pulled the trigger on it already. I just feel that proportionally, a 44mm case needs a 22mm strap, especially in my wrists.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look for a mint Stargate.

specs are very close and they wear nicely
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would normally agree that 22mm lugs would be warranted on a 44mm watch. But not this watch. For example the Sumo definitely needs 22mm lugs, but it wears thicker than this watch. This watch wears more like a 42mm imo. Hell the Grand Seiko SBGX115 diver is listed at 42mm, but when I owned it I could have sworn it was a 44mm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top