Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 1:13:05 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been addressed a hundred times but, I couldn't find anything.

Have a Seiko 007 that used to run like a top but, now is pretty consistently losing 5+ minutes a day.  Who do you guys recommend for repair?

Second question, does anyone make tritium hands for Seiko?  I used to run a watch with tritium hands and I really miss that feature.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help with tritium hands, but these days if you have an issue with a "lower end" seiko automatic movement like the 7s26, it is about cheapest to replace it with a newer 4s movement.  I have replaced a few, and the only thing you replace is the movement, stem, and crown.  Pull the hands and dial, maybe swap  the day or date wheels, depending on the movement, cut the stem to length, and reverse the process.  You might install a new seal while you're at it.  If you have it done, for a little more, they can regulate it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't help with tritium hands, but these days if you have an issue with a "lower end" seiko automatic movement like the 7s26, it is about cheapest to replace it with a newer 4s movement.  I have replaced a few, and the only thing you replace is the movement, stem, and crown.  Pull the hands and dial, maybe swap  the day or date wheels, depending on the movement, cut the stem to length, and reverse the process.  You might install a new seal while you're at it.  If you have it done, for a little more, they can regulate it.
View Quote

this.

"repair" of an SKX007 movement means removing the movement and replacing it with a new one.  A new 4s movement (under the name NH36) is $48, or $69 if regulated (see Namokimods.com).  You'll need a new stem for the 4s movement, probably a new crown.  Swap the hands and dial over, swap the day wheel, cut stem to length and install into crown, insert stem and screw caseback on, and you're back in business.

there's a guy locally here who could do it for you much cheaper than Seiko.  Brian Wohlleben, bdubz7733 at gmail.com.  Contact him and see what he'd charge to do it for you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!  I'll reach out of bdubz. Bummer about the tritium hands. Ive searched a few times myself and I just can't believe that with all the parts available to mod a Seiko, no one makes tritium hands.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
ya, movement swap for the timing issue, as far as the tritium hands, thats usually done by scavenging the hands from a Luminox, a marathon navigator or something else and transplanting them onto the seiko movement. That requires a bit of skill to get them to fit correctly due to pinion heights and sizes (what the hands mount to)

I'm not aware of anybody that sells hands that will just drop in.

Duarte at NEWW does great work, its been a few years for me but i've bought watches from him and had him do work on others. He could probably help you out with a tritium conversion and dropping in a new movement.

NEWW

This guy sells a lot of custom dials and hands if you want to change it up, good quality stuff.

Yobokies
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
This interests me biggly.

I have an SKX007 my wife gifted me 2 Christmases ago that has consistently run fast.  About once a month I have to reset (back) time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
NH35 is a great swap for the SKX, and fairly easy for a DIYer, or less than an hour for a competent watchmaker.  You can get a SARB ( SARB059 I think?) crown/stem and its plug and play.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Month or so back I was where you are now with a Seiko that had "issues".  Followed sage advise from sparticus2002 and down the Rabbit Hole I went!
If you have patience and a clean place to work, the mods and even changing the movement is really not all that difficult.  I suggest watching a bunch of youtube videos first.
this link from my post has links within for tool kits, and places to order movements:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Problem-with-a-Seiko-4R36/178-2438057/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top