Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 12:32:32 AM EDT
I grew up with musclecars in the family, but any I could afford were absolutely trashed or too expensive by the late 90s, so I ended up with a string of Hondas and Acuras to play with, a few were really nice, not zip tied, fart can in a residential area at midnight types.

Had mostly CRX’s, and told people back in early 2000’s that they would be collectible someday....because the kids that wanted them and couldn’t afford them would buy them when they were older....so I spotted a stock Si in traffic the other day and my gears started turning. Even though I have two other unfinished but drivable V8 cars, I decided to see how much CRXs and the like were selling for now days, and to my surprise, they’re just gone.

I know most stuff is listed on FB now but try to avoid that whenever possible, but where the hell did all those cars go? I know most of them got Fast N Furiouseded and stuffed into mailboxes at 35mph, but they ALL didn’t. Did cash for clunkers claim the rest? Signed, guy who wants another CRX Si to run around town in....maybe 100% stock....maybe with VTEC again
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I know where 2 are on blocks in a guys yard. I’m sure “he’s gonna fix them one day”.

Every car I wanted as a kid is sky rocketing.
Vipers, nsx, rx7(had one of those but the value has gone crazy even in the last 5 years). Even r32 skylines have almost doubled in value since they first became importable.

Christ I always said my cheap fun car would be a s2000 but even those are getting up there. They are about to where the above mentioned were price wise 5-10 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:03:05 AM EDT
[#2]
In my area aswell as the rest of the rust belt, most of them rusted away. It gets bad enough they wont pass inspection then sometimes they get packed with bondo and last a few more years.

I see them around from time to time. There is one local with some very 80s/early 90s graphics on the side. It looks to be in nice shape I've seen it a handful of times never sitting still though.

A few buddies had them years ago. One was a super duper base model HF that couldn't get out of it's own way. When it was raining and you turned left you had to put your foot over the hole in the floor or you would get a shower.

Another buddy had a banged up but mechanically sound Si. I rode in the back of that down a very bumpy back road at 90mph on the way to a party one night he ended up trading it for something else I dont remember what.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Most CRXs I've seen are trashed. I almost bought one 10 years ago for $800 in decent driver condition. I'm a muscle car guy, but got destroyed in my Mach 1 by a turbo CRX. It made me want one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I knew a guy who had one back about 1990. He bought it used and fixed it up and used to tell me about the process. No thanks, the work to just replace the front lights was like an Audi (step one: remove front end). He also had a GXRS that killed his back so he was already crazy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m a fan

Attachment Attached File

I only had that one for a few months. I moved and couldn’t take it with me. I see them all the time, but like others said most are clapped out. I’m still keeping my eyes open for the right one. I currently have an EG hatch.

I don’t know if you follow Bring a Trailer, but nice ones pop up from time to time. You can also filter through completed auctions to get metrics on what nice examples are going for. This one closed out within the last week and it’s one of the most expensive ones I’ve seen:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-honda-crx-27/
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My first car was an 89 CRX Si, and I also had a 91 Civic Si a few years later. I really want another one again. I want to find a DX or HF shell without the sunroof, and put in a B16B with ITBs that revs to 9500 rpm.

The other hatch that interests me is the EP3 02-05 Civic Si. The last real Civic hatchback. I would love to have that as with a spicy K24 in it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I never see them around here. I really wanted one when they first came out in the mid-80s. But as a broke teen, they were out of my price range. I wish Honda would bring it back, although in the age of SUVs and $70k trucks, I don't know if there'd be a market for them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They got gobbled up by the audio guys, the SPL circuit is full of them. There’s something special about the interior shape, seems like they’ll do +6dB over anything comparable.
View Quote

Huh. Today I learned that there’s still an SPL circuit!

I had a; Red 90 HF, Yellow 90 Si with B16 and nitrous, Red 88Si, Red 91 HF, Red 91 Si with B16, White 90 DX. The Yellow one got away from me, got it back in rougher shape, fixed it again, then a guy from Cali saw it and had to have it.

A few of those were owned for a day or three, usually ended up with them cheap and flipped them, everybody knew I was the CRX guy and forums were big back then. Yellow one was really nice and quick. Won a couple shows with it.

Thanks for dropping in with your stories everybody!
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Not an Si, but low miles, 17 year owner, super clean. And $6500! Were they $6500 new?

My brother's first car was an early 80's crx, first generation. I just remember that it took the jump off the end of the bridge well

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/happy-valley-1989-honda-crx/7309516691.html
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots ended up as racecars (legit and F&F butchered) as well
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer civic hatches more than the Rex but they are number 2. All of them are hard to find anymore. Fast and the furious was the worst thing to ever happen to the import scene.

I need to find another clean hatch to build up. I still have a mint p28 from my 90 civic dx that got wrecked. I had that swapped with a sohc d16z6, si trans, header intake and exhaust. It was a fun little car with the extra 30-40hp and closer gearing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Try finding a 2000 Civic Si that hasn't been molested.

Try a 2000 Prelude SH with leather and a stick shift.

20+ year old unmolested Hondas with the premium package command a premium price.

IIRC a cherry stock 2000 Civic Si went for some pretty ridiculous money recently
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
It’s probably been a decade since I’ve seen a CRX or EF Civic “in the wild.”  Another victim of road salt and time, like DSMs and fox body Mustangs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
You see nice ones once in a while. Join some of the FB Honda classified groups.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
They are pretty stupid now when you can find them.  I wondered this myself and looked the other week.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I met a guy over the weekend who purchased a nice one for $2500 that was missing the engine. He grabbed a junkyard D-16 rebuilt it added V-tec and a Jackson racing supercharger. His next upgrade will be awd and a K swap. It was clean.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Stay tuned for updates.....I kinda mighta sorta asked the owner about his car the other day....
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I met a guy over the weekend who purchased a nice one for $2500 that was missing the engine. He grabbed a junkyard D-16 rebuilt it added V-tec and a Jackson racing supercharger. His next upgrade will be awd and a K swap. It was clean.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Here's a 1987 on Bring a Trailer.  Current bid at $2,700

CRX
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's a 1987 on Bring a Trailer.  Current bid at $2,700

CRX
View Quote

That’s a first gen crx, even harder to find anymore, but it’s not the more coveted 88-91 second generation.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I paid $3500 for an 86 CRX in 1991. It was the car I got my freshman year of college. I drove from Seattle Washington to Phoenix Az on $40 worth of gas. What great days.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#25]
one just came up on Cars and Bids

http://www.carsandbids.com
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
one just came up on Cars and Bids

http://www.carsandbids.com
View Quote

That’s in pretty good shape, little bit of rust starting in the rear quarters though. The hf engines were so laughable- just look at that intake tube maybe 1.5” diameter. I think about 50hp but they were getting 40-50mpg.

I would love to restore one if I had the money. Simple and clean with a na b16b in championship white.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It’s probably been a decade since I’ve seen a CRX or EF Civic “in the wild.”  Another victim of road salt and time, like DSMs and fox body Mustangs.
View Quote

Haven't seen a CRX, a DSM or a Fox on the road in probably 2 years. I've been looking for a Foxbody for 3 years but everything decent is over 10 grand. Pretty much every enthusiast vehicle from the late 80's to 2000 is going for ridiculous money. I looked at a Miata 2 years ago, guy wanted around 3 grand for it, today they are going for 7000 plus in the same condition. I couldn't afford them in my youth but now that I can the prices are just outrageous.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Sooo.... decided to talk to the owner, he had picked it up from the original owner about two months back, and he has a bad shoulder and didn’t realize what a hassle it was going to be for him to park it with manual steering and transmission, so he was actually thinking about selling it.
   So, I picked up a bone stock 1989 Barbados Yellow Si with original dealer installed A/C, Cruise control and Bosch Fog lights and 162,000 on the clock. Needs a little TLC, but it’s 32 years old! No major rust, had two minor fender benders years ago that were fixed pretty well, and the interior is very nice overall. Only change inside from stock was a heapie JVC cd player and crappy coaxial speakers, which I’ve already swapped out for a Kenwood Excelon unit and will be doing a simple stealthy stereo.

Still has the OEM exhaust and wheels, and both fog lights were bad so I’ll be on the hunt for a set of old rear mount Bosch 3x7” lights! Going to change the 185-60-14’s to some sticky 195’s on the cleaned up stock wheels, and clean/replace/update parts as I go, for a slow renovation/restoration.

This car seriously brings a smile to my face when i drive it! Tons of waves and “haven’t seen one of those for years!! And it’s so nice and stock!”
   I have a couple other V8 toys to play with, but it’s been great running around town in a now classic Honda!
 Sorry for lack of pics, it’s just a nice clean stock yellow CRX, and is going to stay that way!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm curious where this post will go. I remember nothing but fart can crx's always wanting to race back in the day.  God, to this day I still hate that damn exhaust note.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a 1986 CRX Si straight off the showroom floor.  If I remember correctly I paid a little over 10k for it.  It was a fun car to drive, I thrashed the heck out of it and only had a couple of things go wrong with it. One was the starter crapped out. I remember a new starter was something like $160. I took the starter out and took it to a place locally that rebuild electric motors and alternators. They knew what the problem was, the brushes were bad. Fixed it for under $25.  I also had to replace something with the sunroof, might have been the tracks. I put over 115k miles on it and sold it in 1994.  I wish I would have kept it now, did not realize how popular they would become.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Awesome. Post up some pics if you can. 185/60s were the lowest profile we could get back then for a 14, back when it was way cooler to run a 15 with a 195/50 BFG. The 185/60/14 size is kind of nostalgic to me, and "period correct" for that car- not unlike building a Blackhawk Down rifle or a clone gun.
View Quote

I was going to throw something super sticky on it, like Azenis RT615s, but after I tossed it into a corner with a tiny bit of noiseless lift-off oversteer, I got to thinking maybe I should keep some Walmart special 185s on it
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Ehh I’ll take my chances. My last yellow one was barely not driveable when I got it. And other than having an alternator go out and leave me sit, an ex-GF having the muffler “mysteriously” fall off (and no, she didn’t go back to find my $200 polished Magnaflow, or the tailpipes with twin chrome tips); getting my month old metallic yellow paint job keyed in a parking lot the day before the biggest local car show (fuck you Dave!) and nearly dieing when I got stuck in a freak blizzard on the pass in Idaho while it was wearing summer only tires, barely anything exciting happened while I owned that car.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Found a k swapped del sol for sale here for $4,400. Pretty rough around the edges but still probably a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#36]
We still race one in NASA road racing series..

Its still a great little car.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Parts are very difficult to find and we have to make a lot of things from scratch to keep it operational, but it's all good.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I loved my CRX! Traded it in for a new ford ranger. Regretted it immediately & still do...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top