Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 10:30:21 PM EDT
I was musing about how to display my collection of Smith and Wesson revolvers, and I thought about getting an old gun cabinet for cheap and redoing the interior with shelves and LED lighting or getting a corner curio cabinet that already has shelves. However, I am concerned about the security of the cabinet. I know it's not going to be nearly as secure as a safe, but I was curious if anybody here had some ideas for beefing up the security of a standard display cabinet so that guns could be on display without worrying about children getting into it or deterring the intentions of anybody looking for a quick theft.

Hope this makes sense. Essentially I want to keep kids and sticky fingers out of my shit, and give my wife and myself a good feeling that the guns on display are fairly secured.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, display = vulnerable...

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately, display = vulnerable...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136/securityguard-1835962.jpg
View Quote

I get that equation, but I'm asking if there is a way to make a display case less vulnerable. As in, adding panels of some sort to the interior, a different, stronger clear material for viewing the pieces, reinforcing glass with welded wire, etc. Seeing if somebody has done this and can provide plans or ideas.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No specific plans but built from a steel frame/cabinet with laminated glass or mesh safety glass would buy you a reasonable amount of security for display purposes.

Before going custom though look into secure retail sales display cases. I'm sure these have to exist. It may not be as pretty as a wood case but looks would not be my priority here.

If looks are a concern, a skilled woodworker can likely add wood paneled interior, wood shelves, and exterior decorative wood frame onto a retail sales display to make it look classy.

You may get some good ideas if asked in safes & home security subforum.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
We build these rooms and put steel doors on them. Inside we display the things we enjoy. This is the way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We build these rooms and put steel doors on them. Inside we display the things we enjoy. This is the way.
View Quote

A walk-in safe is definitely the optimal way to go here lol. Unfortunately, I am going to be renting for the foreseeable future and I don't think the landlords would want me adding something like that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No specific plans but built from a steel frame/cabinet with laminated glass or mesh safety glass would buy you a reasonable amount of security for display purposes.

Before going custom though look into secure retail sales display cases. I'm sure these have to exist. It may not be as pretty as a wood case but looks would not be my priority here.

If looks are a concern, a skilled woodworker can likely add wood paneled interior, wood shelves, and exterior decorative wood frame onto a retail sales display to make it look classy.

You may get some good ideas if asked in safes & home security subforum.
View Quote

Thats not a bad idea. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Depending on your need for security. You could use a well built glass front gun cabinet with a good set of locks and entry alarms. Maybe glass break sensor, motion activated video. Could send alarm txt to a phone.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#8]
A stoutly built oak case with a steel case hidden inside it.
Thicker polycarbonate 'glass' is pretty tough stuff.

The way this is actually built is to make a steel cabinet and then cover it in wood for appearance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top