Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2023 9:42:01 PM EDT
MacOS and Safari - Typically use the CMD-shift-4 to draw the box.

When uploading the screenshot to here the site seems to increases the size by about two times original.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Attachment Attached File
Quoted:
Not sure what you mean, but I think you are saying the images are being sized up.

Do you have any sort of example? I'd do a screenshot from your phone with the adjusted image and then the uploaded one. Thanks!
View Quote
You are correct, the image seems to be upsized.  Have not been using my phone on this site, just Safari within MacOS.  Will see what I can provide.  I can see on my end that when I uploaded an image at 50% of the original using "Preview" which is the app that opens up when you click a screenshot.  "Tools" menu and "Adjust Size" and then adjusted to 50% the image posted is close to what I am seeing on my screen.  If I don't do the resize within "Preview" it is upsized an grainy.  Using a laptop with a native resolution of 3456 x 2234 if that helps any. Let me try screenshot of this post....

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, think I figured out what you meant by the phone screenshot for comparison....

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, just figured out it seems to be my issue.  Checked the image properties and it is doubling the size.  You can just barely make out the px numbers in the screenshot box above. 411x251 selection box and the image is saved as 822x502 on my side.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK, just figured out it seems to be my issue.  Checked the image properties and it is doubling the size.  You can just barely make out the px numbers in the screenshot box above. 411x251 selection box and the image is saved as 822x502 on my side.

View Quote

Check the DPI of the image on your computer vs what actually gets uploaded.
I think your image will show a DPI of 144 and I think that the ARFCOM system auto resizes it to a standard of 72 DPI which would double the size you see even though it tells you its the same resolution.
Open the image in Preview and click on Inspector under tools. Check the DPI.

This is because of how MacOS displays the Retina resolution vs actual resolution of the display. The screen resolution on your mac is much higher than you are "seeing". Meaning it's been scaled down (or up depending on how you think about it). So when you take a screen shot on your mac desktop it takes a screen shot using a much higher resolution and not the resolution that it appears to you. The dots per inch of what you are seeing on your desktop is much higher than the screen shot you take.

This is why Retina displays look so much better than standard "one to one", "pixel to displayed" screens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top