Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2021 2:01:49 AM EDT
I recently tried scotch for the first time (Glenfiddich 12) and I got that band-aid taste that people mention . Is this a trait of all scotch or just some of them ?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently tried scotch for the first time (Glenfiddich 12) and I got that band-aid taste that people mention . Is this a trait of all scotch or just some of them ?
View Quote

In my experience it's just some. Aberlour hadn't had it for me, neither has MaCallan
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm surprised you got the iodine taste off a Glenn. Maybe try some Glenmorangie 10???
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I don’t think what you are tasting is the normal band Aid, iodine flavors that are usually associated with peated scotches.  There are maybe 1-2 glenfiddich expressions that are peated , and that is not one.

What you are probably tasting is a slight funk associated with a combination of 100% malted barley, along with the typical barrels and aging associated with scotch (mixes of used bourbon and sherry casks).
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what I'm tasting.

1st night- expected it to be a little like bourbon, it wasn't.
2nd night- still wasn't sure what to think about it.
3rd night - picked up what tasted like a band aid.
4th night- still a band aid taste.
Skipped a few nights.
Sipping it tonight - not getting the band aid taste.

Sipping it room temp, no water or ice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Glenfiddich is a Speyside which really shouldn't have any iodine notes associated with its flavor profile.  Sometimes the palate tastes what the palate tastes.

There is Bruichladdich unpeated whiskey that I love and I swear I can pick up the slightest hint of peat and smoke, although they swear it isn't peated.

Try Glenlivet or Aberlour, they are devoid of any of the typical Islay "band aid" flavors. Oban 14 would also be a good choice but is a bit more pricey.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Skipped a few nights.

View Quote

I always let my scotch sit in the glass for a little while before sipping.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to really like Scotch. As I’ve gotten older, 61, my tastes have changed and I really enjoy Irish Whiskey.

Currently grilling wings. Life’s too short to drink bad liquor.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Either my tasters are adjusting or some air is doing the bottle some good, but it's getting better. The first couple of nights it was just a nose and mouth full of musty funk. That's calming down and other flavors are trying to show up. (still no band aid reappearance) I'm understanding the funk is from the malted barley and is found in all Scotch, correct ?

I checked a couple stores and had no luck finding a  Aberlour or Glenlivet. I did get a Glenmorangie 10 and Macallan 12. I'm liking both so far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Either my tasters are adjusting or some air is doing the bottle some good, but it's getting better. The first couple of nights it was just a nose and mouth full of musty funk. That's calming down and other flavors are trying to show up. (still no band aid reappearance) I'm understanding the funk is from the malted barley and is found in all Scotch, correct ?

I checked a couple stores and had no luck finding a  Aberlour or Glenlivet. I did get a Glenmorangie 10 and Macallan 12. I'm liking both so far.
View Quote

Funk is the best way I can describe the generic profile of single malt scotch, especially compared to american spirits like rye or bourbon, which typically have a more "clean" (for lack of a better term), sweet and oak profile.  Does all scotch have that funk?  Maybe in some way, but it's more pronounced in single malts vs. blended grain.

Bourbon cask aging (Glenmorangie 10 is mainly bourbon cask) will produce more of a light/fruity flavor (peaches, like the glenmorangie), sometimes grassyness, acidic (on the extreme it is like baby vomit).  Sherry cask tends to have more of a dark fruit (figs, plums, raisens, fruitcake), and sometimes sulfurous notes if it was aged in certain casks for long enough.  And then theres a lot in between, as many are blends of both barrels.  

If you can, try Bunnahabhain (like 12 or 18) or Glengoyne 12-18 for good, well balanced sherried scotches.  Clynelish 14 is a very good bourbon cask scotch on the mid entry level.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Skipped a few nights.

View Quote

Let the bottle breathe for a month, then come back to it, it should get sweeter.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 1:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I know there's not supposed to be any difference with a "neck pour" but I am convinced once you get the bottle about 1/4 down, it mellows out significantly.  Those first few drams are always a bit sharper and harsher.  Then a week later and it's just got a nice, warm, rounded flavor profile without the "bite" it had when first opened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top