Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2019 7:49:20 PM EDT
I've always been interested in doing this. I have watched a few YouTube videos and am looking to buy a kit. What kit would you guys recommend? Whts the best way to get started in this hobby. I basically want to know from you experienced guys the best way to get started. What would have done differently if you were to start from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of the starter kits should have everything you need other than bottles and ingredients. I used to do 12oz bottles but switched to 22oz since there are less to sanitize on bottling day. Everything else I’ve done pretty much the same as when I started.(10 years ago) Get the Joy Of Home brewing book by Charlie Papazian, it’s got all the information you need.

Tips: sanitize, sanitize, sanitize!! Nothing will screw up 5 gallons of beer quicker than unwanted bacteria.
Check the Ending SG to make sure your fermentation is done and don’t over do the priming sugar. (Exploding bottles make a huge mess)
Don’t overthink or over complicate it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with the mr beer 2gallon keg kit. (Fathers day gift)  Made a few cases myself with that thing.  I ended up using a corn sugar for priming the bottles after initial brew was complete. And activating the yeast before adding to the keg helps get it going fast.

Plus they make some really good kits for them to get started easy.

Just follow the 2-2-2 method, 2 weeks fermented,  two weeks in th he bottles, 2 weeks cold conditioning.  I never had a problem with that.

Ialso have a 1gal. Glass keg and brew apple cider in thats amazing after aging about 6 months.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I recieved the Brewer's  Best kit at Christmas time 3 years ago.  I've added some stuff since then just because.

Another good book is John Palmer's "How to Brew."

You might also search for a brew club in your area.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The best way is to watch videos..Read john palmer's book "How to brew" and try to find someone that brews to help you pick the right system. Experience is very helpful.

Considerations are 1) Are you brewing outside or inside? 2) how much beer do you want to make 3) Do you want to brew with extract or All grain. 4) how much $ do you want to spend for ease of brewing and higher chance to make better beer. 5) Why do you want to brew, occasional thing to make some decent beer to share with friend OR you really like beer and want play with recipes and craft it to your exact taste. How much effort do you want to put into a brew day (extracts are very easy. Just boil extract with water add hops at certain times, cool it down and add yeast. . All-grain requires holding grain at specific temps. Straining out the grain. Rinsing the grain and a few other steps.)

To answer your specific question about kits. Basically any kit will be fine. If you have a local homebrewing shop go there and ask them about what starter kit they suggest. You want a fermenter and fermentation lock  bottle capper, bottle filler.  hydrometer, and thermometer. They pretty much all come with those things.

For ingredients Start out with a beer "kit" where someone has measured out all the ingredients for you and has the correct yeast and hops and a recipe. Kits can be either 1)all grain (you'll need a few more pieces of equipment, highly suggest looking at BIAB (boil in a bag) system to significantly reduce the additional stuff you need) or 2) Partial boil kit (extract and some additional grains that you steep) 3) extract.

#1 is the most work and requires the most equipment but also is capable of making the best beer. Takes the longest time to complete 4-6hrs #2 much less work, makes pretty good beer and you just need a way to remove the grain sometimes the kits come with a bag that does this for you and it takes about 1/2 the time...#3 is the easiest..etc. All methods can make good beer although #1 makes the best however it's also more difficult and has higher risk to screw it up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Start by using liquid malt extract or dried malt extract. I quit brewing beer when I tried to make it exclusively from grains. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Do an extract brew first. Leave the all grain stuff for much much later, if at all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do an extract brew first. Leave the all grain stuff for much much later, if at all.
View Quote
I think it depends on what you like and why you're brewing. Nothing wrong with extract, it's perfect for a lot of people and you can make great beer with it. Personally I wish I had jumped to all grain sooner, but that really wasn't an option based on the systems available and my situation. I really like all grain and with the systems available now, it's not much more work and doesn't take up that much more space.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it depends on what you like and why you're brewing. Nothing wrong with extract, it's perfect for a lot of people and you can make great beer with it. Personally I wish I had jumped to all grain sooner, but that really wasn't an option based on the systems available and my situation. I really like all grain and with the systems available now, it's not much more work and doesn't take up that much more space.
View Quote
I'd like to get an all grain setup going one day, but it's a big commitment for someone who's unsure about brewing or just starting out.

I'll probably move to a partial mash BIAB setup over Christmas this year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
http://howtobrew.com/
It's the book but free on line.

Like others have said find a homebrew store or club. If there are none in your area try a craft brewery, most brewers would be happy to help, if they have the time to talk.

Just like any hobby you can spend $100 or $1000s
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:29:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://howtobrew.com/
It's the book but free on line.

Like others have said find a homebrew store or club. If there are none in your area try a craft brewery, most brewers would be happy to help, if they have the time to talk.

Just like any hobby you can spend $100 or $1000s
View Quote
@JPH2

Thx for the link...
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
@RockRash

I'm in your same boat...never done this and really been wanting to for some time.

If/when I do...i'll probably do something like this...just seems a lot easier than a bunch of other stuff around.

Brewer’s Edge Mash and Boil with Pump

dont want to have to regret upgrading in a year or so or dealing with a bunch of other crap in the way.

I know there are other items i'll need but seems like a good 1st step.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@RockRash

I'm in your same boat...never done this and really been wanting to for some time.

If/when I do...i'll probably do something like this...just seems a lot easier than a bunch of other stuff around.

dont want to have to regret upgrading in a year or so or dealing with a bunch of other crap in the way.

View Quote
The cost of the kit is worth it to make sure brewing is something you're going to continue to do. That's an expensive start up cost just to find out home brewing isn't for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]
November 2nd is Learn to Homebrew Day, so lots of places and clubs will have events, see if there is one near you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@RockRash

View Quote
These types of systems are a real game changer for all grain brewing. I have a Grainfather and find myself brewing faster than I can drink!

Even if you get a system like you mentioned above, you'll still use (almost?) everything in the basic starter kits. Fermenters, hydrometer, thermometer, etc.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I only brewed with extract for a few months before switching to AG when I started years ago.

Why did you not like AG brewing?  I know time is a big issue with busy people, along with needing a mash tun, but that's about it.
View Quote
I could never get my beers to turn out properly, because my mashes never worked right. I didn't have a good insulated mash tun and had a hard time hitting the exact right temperature. I think it's viable with better equipment, but you are talking at least a couple hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Brewing is not cheap so don’t get into this hobby thinking you are going to do it cheap.   That said Brew In A Bag (BIAB) and a 5 gallon stainless kettle on the stove is a pretty cheap way to get into 3gal all grain brewing.

Saturday November 2nd the American Homebrewers Association is hosting a yearly learn to brew event at locations all across the country.    If you look on their website there is a list of locations participating and maybe there is one close to you.    I would suggest going to one of these or looking to see if there are any home brewing clubs near you.   They are a great resource and you might be able to find some deals on cheap used equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top