Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 3.6 is a really good engine.  Is it 4.0 durable?  The jury is still out, but it's powerful and reliable.
View Quote
It's the 3.6L.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah we know that based on the year of production
View Quote

oh, gotcha.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, I didn't have any issues with it in my test drive.

Any motor issues?

Edit: To say I haven't seen anything bad about the motors. Just that routine maintenance is necessary, no letting it go over oil change intervals like a Toyota, kinda stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a JK unlimited, coil springs, really long wheelbase, and all the creature comforts of a sedan.  As long as the seats work for you, and you keep the hard top on to control noise, it should be comfortable enough.
Yeah, I didn't have any issues with it in my test drive.

Any motor issues?

Edit: To say I haven't seen anything bad about the motors. Just that routine maintenance is necessary, no letting it go over oil change intervals like a Toyota, kinda stuff.
By that model year most of the major bugs had been worked out of the PentaStar engines. However, they still experience a failure in the valve lifters that cause a ticking noise, the oil filter/cooler housing can still crack and the radiators are notorious for leaking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Your drivability will depend on what you end up doing to it.  Jeeps look good with lifts, but they negatively affect highway handling.  The JKUs drive pretty nice, the JLUs drive even better on the highway.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Eh, dude at the dealership just called me.

"There's a guy here with a check for the Jeep, can you get here in 20 mins with a check? I'll save it for you!"

"Hell no, sell that man a Jeep!"

The search continues...……..
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had 5 Jeeps, 3 have had lifts, never once experienced death wobble. They're great vehicles for what they are, but they aren't built for comfort or speed. Rubicon is a package and other than badging, looks just like all the others, there are significant functional add one though. If you're looking at new, you want 3.73 hearing of you're not going to put big (35" + tires), if you want big tires you'll want 4.10 or lower gears and better axles.  The Gladiator is over priced and over rated, in my opinion, I test drove one and was very disappointed.  If you want a truck, get a 4WE truck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you're looking at new, you want 3.73 hearing of you're not going to put big (35" + tires
View Quote
Looks like 3.73 gearing only comes with the diesel option on the new wranglers, according to the website. 3.45 is the standard gearing, other than a rubicon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Looks like 3.73 gearing only comes with the diesel option on the new wranglers, according to the website. 3.45 is the standard gearing, other than a rubicon.
View Quote
If you plan on larger tires, gearing should be changed no matter what stock ratio it has, but the new jl went back to d30/35 combos in non rubicon’s, so I wouldn’t waste a penny on a d35 rear axle and upgrade to a d44.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
When people talk Jeeps, its hard to pin down what exactly they want.

Older Jeeps (Willy's, CJ2, CJ5's) are pretty much almost seen as antiquated UTVs. To the point, a Roxor is exactly that.  A Jeep sold as a UTV.

It wasn't until TJ's came around that changed from utilitarian to what I'd call a US Land Rover Defender 90 and 110.

I've owned and restored a few CJ's, had a LJ and FJ40.  Now a Roxor.  I'm in AZ so I can drive it anywhere like any other passenger car.

I'm debating getting a TJ to do a Cummins R2.8 swap.  It's between that and a Land Rover Defender 90, recent imports.  Because people want too much for a 66 to 77 Bronco.

Old or new, Jeeps (and those I've mentioned) serve a great purpose as a all purpose off-road CAPABLE general use vehicle.

If you want off-road performance, look at a real sports UTV.

If you want comfort, a Jeep isn't it.

Where I feel Jeep always fall short is their reluctance to use diesels.  I know most of it was gov interference, but had they've pushed ... Probably didn't help how many times Jeep has changed ownership.  AMC had the window to use diesel back in the late 70's and 80's.  Their competition, Land Rover, Toyota, Nissan took the world market with high efficient engines and utilitarian use. AMC Jeep, put in V8's and focused in "fun" while gas prices climbed and we dealt with a severe recession.  AMC could have existed today had they've taken that approach and focused on gov use vehicles.  If you noticed, Jeep had military applications up until 80's to the point AMC 20 differentials went into HMMWV.  AMC also made air craft tugs and other support vehicles. When they lost that AMC folded and Jeeps stopped being gov utility vehicles.  Since then it's been trying to keep it's place as America's off-road champ, which they have.  Jeep thrived under Daimler-Chrysler period.  Sometimes look at their parent companies and look at it's history.  Now its Fiat.  Need I say more?  But the Daimler designed Jeeps have remained.  I say Fiat will continue with that.  They just introduced a diesel in Jeeps.  I have my reservations.  But had Jeep expanded diesel engine use, the one negative factor, poor fuel mileage could have made it a far more desirable vehicle during a period of high fuel costs and AMC could be more competitive in a world market, not just US.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Wranglers are one of the only vehicles I encourage people to lease.

People tend to either love or hate them and a short test drive isn’t enough to figure that out in my opinion.

At a minimum I would say try to rent one for a week or two.

I love them. I get why some don’t.

ETA: I don’t recommend leasing them again. If you like it buy it or whatever. This is just my opinion and generally I hate leasing. Vehicles are a waste of money no matter which way you spin it (other than very few exceptions). But some of us like to waste our money that way!
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the benefits you get is that because they are so popular and there are a number of them on the road, most issues have been found or resolved  by the community
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeeps are not AWD .
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Jeeps are not AWD .
View Quote
The jl Sahara has an option for an awd transfer case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#16]
So I pick this up tomorrow:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

2014 Freedom Edition or Oscar Mike Edition. ~46,000 miles on it. One owner, clean inside & out. Brand new Goodyear A/T’s on it. Has a molle gear attachment system on the back door, I thought that was fun .
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228520/BCF597DD-B895-4761-96E2-61FEBD42FA77_jpe-1292606.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228520/807A7BDD-50C8-4921-BE25-952B8AE5F3C3_jpe-1292607.JPG

2014 Freedom Edition or Oscar Mike Edition. ~46,000 miles on it. One owner, clean inside & out. Brand new Goodyear A/T’s on it. Has a molle gear attachment system on the back door, I thought that was fun .
View Quote
Congrats.  Take it out and get it dirty.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228520/BCF597DD-B895-4761-96E2-61FEBD42FA77_jpe-1292606.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228520/807A7BDD-50C8-4921-BE25-952B8AE5F3C3_jpe-1292607.JPG

View Quote
Nice. Hydro Blue is best blue.

You can use this link to see how it came equipped from the factory: Jeep VIN Lookup
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice. Hydro Blue is best blue.

You can use this link to see how it came equipped from the factory: Jeep VIN Lookup
Thank you guys. I agreed to a deal over the phone, so hopefully it’s all good when I get there.

I live about 90 miles from the dealership & couldn’t get there before closing tonight. So I guess the truth is, it’s a 90% chance it’s mine, if the details don’t change.

Edit: told them I’d be there in the morning to sign the paperwork & pick it up & drop off the trade in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cloth or metal MOLLE system on the rear door?
View Quote
Cloth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Signing for it now. I’m a Jeep owner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Post pictures when you get a chance.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Post pictures when you get a chance.
View Quote
Quick pic before heading home. Love this thing so far.
Attachment Attached File

Edit: more pics: got it home.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Welcome to the club
View Quote
Thank you.

It feels good!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Five Guys? Good call!

Is the spare tire the same size as the other four? Might wanna change that out if it's different.

I just got back into a Jeep after a few years without. Love it and I just have to accept that I should always have one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Five Guys? Good call!

Is the spare tire the same size as the other four? Might wanna change that out if it's different.

I just got back into a Jeep after a few years without. Love it and I just have to accept that I should always have one.
View Quote
Right, I love 5 Guys. When I'm in Albuquerque, I always hit them up.

Spare is the same size, it's just whatever the factory put on there.

I'm loving it so far, I guess I'm a Jeep guy too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top