Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2020 10:14:17 PM EDT
I found 3 12 week old gold lab mix puppies that someone abandoned. I want to keep one and i have two males left thus the delima. The one i like is very shy and scared. I already have a dog with this issue and don't want another. Is it possible for a dog to out grow this. She is on the right.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sister in law has a miniture bull dog rescued from a puppy mill in texas.  Dog is very fearful and bites at threats.  Its gotten a little better after almost two years but I not convinced that she or anyone else thinks it was worth all the training its taken and aloof vibe this dog projects.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. This is where positive reinforcement training comes into play. Big treat rewards with exuberant vocal responses. Lots of games of tug, where she wins 100% of the time. She will come around. You have to build that trust.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Who would abandon them?  People are such assholes.  I used to have a dudley lab, that looks just like them.    Good on you, OP for doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I hoped with him being young that he would outgrow it. He was the only one like this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hoped with him being young that he would outgrow it. He was the only one like this.
View Quote
He should.

Young dogs are fairly easy to desensitize to almost anything if you put forth the effort. How a puppy acts at 12 weeks of age is not at all a guarantee of how he will act as an adult.

My current Dobergirls actually got spooked and ran away from a baby rabbit on night when they were pups out on a potty break. Was pretty damn sad to see at the time. Let either one see a rabbit in the yard TODAY and they are going to be all over it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He should.

Young dogs are fairly easy to desensitize to almost anything if you put forth the effort. How a puppy acts at 12 weeks of age is not at all a guarantee of how he will act as an adult.

My current Dobergirls actually got spooked and ran away from a baby rabbit on night when they were pups out on a potty break. Was pretty damn sad to see at the time. Let either one see a rabbit in the yard TODAY and they are going to be all over it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should.

He is already starting to come around. He meet me at the gate yesterday instead of hiding in the house. Now for the next question which puppy food as they have been eating the Rotties adult food.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You can train and condition puppies to overcome anything.

Have some patience and a little faith.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top