Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 9:34:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Narrow?  XJ.  Absolutely gigantic aftermarket support.  A mountain goat, even in stock form.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree an xj would be one of the best, a zj would do just as well, but less aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re planning on doing any technical off camber stuff, or rock crawling, having at least one locker is very useful.  I really like the early 2000’s jeep Rubicon TJ/LJ
.Attachment Attached File

I prefer manual transmission but automatic is great as well.
If you’re not going as extreme, ( or if it’s going to be a daily driver) you can’t go wrong with a good Toyota pick up,  Tacoma or 4runner.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For an XJ, I'm assuming mods are easy enough? I would want to upgrade the axles and drive line, lift kit and bigger tires, roll cage, and then go from there.

ETA: Would not be a DD, but I would want it road-able enough to drive itself to the trails if need be. Double bonus points for pulling the Pioneer.
View Quote

Pretty much any solid axle jeep has a solid aftermarket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For an XJ, I'm assuming mods are easy enough? I would want to upgrade the axles and drive line, lift kit and bigger tires, roll cage, and then go from there.

ETA: Would not be a DD, but I would want it road-able enough to drive itself to the trails if need be. Double bonus points for pulling the Pioneer.
View Quote

Plenty of mods for xj. Front suspension is pretty much identical to the tj, uses a high pinion d30 which is good, can be beefed up enough to handle 35s no problem. Rear axles are d35 or 8.25, rarely d44. D35 is junk. 8.25 is a good strong axle, but locker selection is minimal later years had stronger 29spline shafts. Rear suspension is leaf springs so easy to swap in any axle.

Xj are unibody so stiffening the body is a must for long term use. Rocker protection and unibody stiffeners are good choices.  If you add a  roll cage tie it into the body and body protection you add. A popular mod on rusty rocker panels is to cut them out completely and replace with heavy wall 2x4 square steel tube
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, i can tell you that a lifted tunda on 35s does not do well on colorado jeep trails.
Its just too wide and has a long wheelbase when going around shelf roads with a cliff on one side and a cliff on the other.

Imagine the following but way more curvy and the road is composed of 12 inch boulders.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I think On rough trails creeping along the AC will overheat a SUV.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I vote a Jeep (Wangler) TJ, JK or JL

Depending on how much comfort you want two door Jeeps can be bit tight for 4 passengers with gear.  

A salt belt XJ will be rotted out.

4 Runner will work just fine for trails.

unless it's old and beat to shit anything nice(ish) will be a bit pricey at the moment.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll update the cooling capacity if needed. AC would be a must.
View Quote

You may have to look into an older jeep with a V8 and a mini split.  My 2012 jeep Wrangler is a problem on 100+ days. That's why you see so many crawlers with the top off. You may have to look at a dual fan setup. A hard top with the insulation package might also be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So what region would be best to go shopping in?

Need out of the salt cancer belt, but not in the wheeler areas.

?
View Quote

My area is a good area due to all the mall crawler trade vehicles that have lift kits and never seen off road. Plus we don't have that much of a winter. I would say OKC and Dallas are the best places to find a used jeep with just highway miles. Most crawler setups here have went to one ton axles and are easily recognized. But on the other hand depending on who they belong too they may have had an awesome service life. My buddy picked up a Cherry JK in South Carolina well worth the money that had been a mall crawler. The lady was tired of it and was bitching about the trade she was offered so my buddy offered $1,500 above what she was offered and she took it. Only thing wrong with it was she had hired the wiring done for the light bars and it was a mess. He bought a new switch box and we rewired with relays and now that part is up to snuff.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Definitely google BJ
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]
4Runner. Third gen specifically.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
4Runner. Third gen specifically.
View Quote
Kept scrolling down until I found the answer.

Not the smallest turning circle but hits on most points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top