Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2022 8:41:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MongooseKY]
Attachment Attached File

I just downed a red maple that I'm wanting to get milled into some project lumber, and the stump looks like this - is this an indication of metal in the tree? The markings seem to traverse the length of the tree, as I see the same pattern at the stump, and in the first two logs I've bucked.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Get yourself a Wizard metal detector. They're made specifically for this application.
The 2, I believe, costs the same as a single blade, but the 5 is a couple blades. It'll save plenty of time and headache, though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:55:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gubertrious] [#2]
It looks like wormy maple.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't look right to be the blue stain of oxidized steel.  It's too symmetrical for normal steel too.  It has to be related to the type of wood it is
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If it was embedded steel, you'd have probably hit an actual chunk of it by now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By midmo:
If it was embedded steel, you'd have probably hit an actual chunk of it by now.
View Quote

Old timers call it wormy maple. Whomever you have rip and plane it will go over it with a detector most likely.
Seems to be standard practice these days.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback - I was hoping this might be something like wormy/ambrosia, but the guy with the mill took a look at my stump picture and said it could be metal.  I'm not sure if he has a metal detector but I'm willing to chance having to pay for a band to potentially get some nice ambrosia boards.  This tree was in the forest that we cleared to build our house, and wasn't near any of the property lines where it would have been likely to have had a fence attached to it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Insects or mineral streaks. Metal (realistically pretty much only iron) is typically much darker and you'd only see it here and there, unless the tree had seen a lot of nails/screws or was was shot with BBs throughout its life.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I find that red maple (acer rubra) around here has a small outer ring of whitish sap wood and the much larger heartwood area is dark like Black Walnut.

Reminds me of cherry in the difference of sapwood to heartwood.

I see photos like OP's and it looks like Sugar Maple does around here not red maple.

Any ideas on why?

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:02:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MongooseKY:
Thanks for the feedback - I was hoping this might be something like wormy/ambrosia, but the guy with the mill took a look at my stump picture and said it could be metal.  I'm not sure if he has a metal detector but I'm willing to chance having to pay for a band to potentially get some nice ambrosia boards.  This tree was in the forest that we cleared to build our house, and wasn't near any of the property lines where it would have been likely to have had a fence attached to it.
View Quote

Looks like ambrosia maple to me.
It is caused by insects that bore into the tree

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Went to the mill this morning - confirmed ambrosia maple!  

My 8' log yielded 109 bd/ft of output - now the long wait for it to dry begins.

On the mill:
Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top