Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2022 8:56:39 PM EDT
I am about to pull the trigger on a SawStop table saw.  I've narrowed it down to two models; the T30408 or the T30409.  The only difference that I see between the two are the length of the table.

T30408 - 10" 3 HP 230V Professional Table Saw with 36" T-Glide Fence Assembly
T30409 - 10" 3 HP 230V Professional Table Saw with 52" T-Glide Fence Assembly

I know I can't really go wrong with either of these but I was curious if anyone already has one of these models, if they are happy with it, or would they have gone with the other option.

I have room for either but I'm not sure if I would be better suited with the 36" fence and using a track saw for larger cross-cuts or if the extra real-estate on the table is worth the cost uplift.  Yes, the cost differential is minimal but more is not always better.  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you cut up sheet goods, you really need a track saw.

Otherwise the only way to do it safely is with 6-8 ft of table in front of the blade and 6-8 ft of out feed table.

That's a lot of space that very few people have in their garage or shop.

I will typically cut sheet goods to slightly oversized chunks and do the final cuts on the table saw and for that the 36" with a short infeed and outfeed will work for most cabinet sized parts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the 52. It costs only a little more. It becomes storage space as I'm batching cuts, which is fine imo. I also often use my saw table to sit parts on after finishing just because its handy and flat, so the longer surface is nice for that. I have also used the table top with the blade retracted and the fence as a stop to plane large rough parts flat but that surely isn't recommended...

If you don't have the space, get the 36. I do sometimes cut sheets on it- very rarely- but I agree a track saw is a better option (or just a straight edge and a clamp) but the 52 is nice for that. I could live with either but if you have the space it doesnt hurt. If you might add the router table I'd probably stick with the 36 or it would be a huge assembly overall.

Get the industrial mobile base, that is definitely worth the price of admission if you will ever move it, even a little. Skip the outfeed table and just use cheap roller stands.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Space really isn’t an issue. My wife and I both have large SUVs that will not fit in there so my three-car garage is essentially my shop / storage.

I have a Bosch router and router table today and have considered consolidating that down to a table saw but it’s not a major objective.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
As an add-on / extension of my original question, how do y'all feel about 1.75hp versus 3hp?  The one thing I failed to do before now is research the cost of wiring needed to run a sub-panel to my garage; what's in there now has been sufficient thus far.  The cost of 4awg3 wiring right now hurts my feelings and I'm not sure if I'm willing to drop another $500+ on top of the cost of the saw to run a new panel to the garage at this point.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As an add-on / extension of my original question, how do y'all feel about 1.75hp versus 3hp?  The one thing I failed to do before now is research the cost of wiring needed to run a sub-panel to my garage; what's in there now has been sufficient thus far.  The cost of 4awg3 wiring right now hurts my feelings and I'm not sure if I'm willing to drop another $500+ on top of the cost of the saw to run a new panel to the garage at this point.
View Quote
what type of projects are you planning on?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Typical hobby projects as my wife commissions them; e.g., tables, chairs, bookcases, etc.  Maybe cabinetry in the future if she wants.  From what I gather from the research I've done, there's not a ton of difference between the two outside of the rate at which I can feed it but I am curious how the smaller device would handle dado stacks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Typical hobby projects as my wife commissions them; e.g., tables, chairs, bookcases, etc.  Maybe cabinetry in the future if she wants.  From what I gather from the research I've done, there's not a ton of difference between the two outside of the rate at which I can feed it but I am curious how the smaller device would handle dado stacks.
View Quote
depending on the depth of dados and the condition you keep your dado stack 1.75 will probably be lacking. 1 1/2 thick hardwood with a not so sharp blade will start to lug the motor which isn't what you want.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If you don't have 220 and it's not in the budget, you can always make a second pass with the blade. Not the end of the world.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the 3hp  with a 36” fence.  The extra $$$  is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the 1.75HP with the 36" t glide fence.

I don't regularly take yuuuge cuts in hardwood.  So far, I've never had a time come up when I wished I'd gone for more horsepower.  I mostly do plywood, 2x4/2x8 style dimensioned lumber, MDF, with occasional hardwood.  The saw doesn't even slow down.

The 36" is plenty big for my shop.  Obviously, if you have the space and budget for it, no reason not to.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#12]
As an update, I bought the 3hp 52” model. It will be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As an update, I bought the 3hp 52" model. It will be here tomorrow.
View Quote
That's what I have an I love it.  When you get it, check the wooden table for flatness and don't be afraid to call Sawstop if it's warped.  Mine was bad but I decided to live with it and now it's gotten worse so now I'm planning on building a new extension.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As an update, I bought the 3hp 52” model. It will be here tomorrow.
View Quote

Congratulations! If I ever can save the cash I'm going with the 36" 3hp.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a grizzly saw that I upgraded form 36 to 54” rip capacity. Worth every penny it costs me. My outfeed table adds 3 ft of depth full with of the saw. I can break down whole sheet goods by my self and be accurate about it.  

Track saws are nice for something’s. I need to get one because I don’t have the room to the left of the blade to make a cut I have to do hundreds of times a month. But for repeatable cross cuts the table saw is my favorite.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's what I have an I love it.  When you get it, check the wooden table for flatness and don't be afraid to call Sawstop if it's warped.  Mine was bad but I decided to live with it and now it's gotten worse so now I'm planning on building a new extension.
View Quote

same here.  laminate on my extension is also peeling away.  finishing a couple of projects and then plan on fixing it
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Otherwise the only way to do it safely is with 6-8 ft of table in front of the blade and 6-8 ft of out feed table.

I will typically cut sheet goods to slightly oversized chunks and do the final cuts on the table saw and for that the 36" with a short infeed and outfeed will work for most cabinet sized parts.
View Quote

I agree with this guy. I have a 3 3/4 car garage workshop with a full size slider that will rip and crosscut 4'X8' sheets.

Even with that, over the years, I've found it easier to cut large sheets to size outside with a track saw using bed of my pickup and/or saw horses.

Slider gets used to cut heavy 8/4 rough hardwood timbers down and for precision work.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I think if you have a production wood shop of any kind, a table saw is a must.  Especially if you are doing repeatable cuts from full sheets.  I have my old Sears contractor saw set up to cut 49" to the right of the blade with a 96"x44" out feed table.  I also cut through 30-40 full sheet a day sometimes. If you are doing projects for the family, then a track saw is the way to go.  I've thought about getting one for cutting a sheet or two.  Having to rearrange the shop to cut up one sheet can be a headache.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't read the whole thread but if you can afford the space and cost, get the bigger and more powerful saw.

While a track saw is REALLY nice for breaking down sheet goods to manageable pieces, the larger table and wider travel of the fence help a lot with final cuts.

You can get away with a sub 2HP motor if you are really careful with blade selection and always change them for the right task, but my 3HP Unisaw has chewed through anything and everything I've ever thrown at it.

You MAY look back and say, yeah I could/would have been fine with a 36" table and fence, but you'll never look back and say that 3HP motor was a waste of money.

ETA, I should have read the whole thread.
Congratulations OP.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

same here.  laminate on my extension is also peeling away.  finishing a couple of projects and then plan on fixing it
View Quote

Mine is 10 years old and has had the same thing going on for the past three years.  I keep planning to getting around to doing something about it.  Then I don't.  It's just enough to be an annoyance, but not enough to mess things up such that I would be compelled to address it right away.   So you have company.

Otherwise, it's a well built saw that is a joy to use.  I am glad I sprung for the ICS base.  Works great; whole thing moves like butter.

I also break down sheet goods with a tracksaw on a sheet of foam.  It's a back saver.  

The table saw is mostly used when things get smaller and/or more fiddly.  An example of which might be long rip cuts in narrow material, or cross cuts via sled.  I have not used mine to break down sheet goods, and cannot immediately recall needing cross cut capacity beyond what my 36" has.  That said, every table saw eventually becomes as much a table as a saw, and I doubt the extra table length would be regretted.  Congrats on your purchase of an excellent saw!

Couple pictures of mine in use:

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This^

ETA Just noticed kind of an old thread, came to post about the compact Saw Stop and saw the thread.

Makita Track Saw and DeWalt TS in my shop.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

awesome pic, nice seeing a kid getting exposure to woodworking plus the safety gear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top