Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the point was to show that the Captain was just a dude in charge of other dudes, and he wasn't the best tactician.

Then again, who knows?
View Quote

He wasnt "Not the best" tactician. That's just war and the idea that you can keep all your guys alive is the fucked up line of thinking that has the army so risk averse these days.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lost their medic and let the SS Kraut go, only to have him come back and put a round in Miller and knife Mellish while Upham locked up in fear.
View Quote

Two different soldiers and its actually Upham who shoots him in the end.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
that movie has all kinds of wtf in it, like Mellish getting all upset about the holocaust...at that point they haven't discovered any concentration camps and didnt know anything about it

the p51 blowing that tiger tank up..with what?  I dont believe p51s even ever carried bombs much less dropped them on tanks, they could but the p47 did more ground attack.

Also, most of the characters were way too old.  Hanks, Danson and giamati were way too old for their characters, bunch of others were as well
View Quote

P-51s carried bombs all the time. But I agree, a P-47 would have been better.

ETA: Hanks was a tad old to be a Ranger (41 when it was filmed). He was probably trying to pass as mid-30s, and some Rangers like William Darby and Henry Mucci were that age. Danson was definitely too old to be a paratrooper, though (50). But Giamatti was only 30 at the time, and there were some paratroopers over that age.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
that movie has all kinds of wtf in it, like Mellish getting all upset about the holocaust...at that point they haven't discovered any concentration camps and didnt know anything about it

the p51 blowing that tiger tank up..with what?  I dont believe p51s even ever carried bombs much less dropped them on tanks, they could but the p47 did more ground attack.

Also, most of the characters were way too old.  Hanks, Danson and giamati were way too old for their characters, bunch of others were as well
View Quote

They did not know the extent of the crimes, they definitely knew the Nazis were extra shitty to Jewish peoples.

Both the P51 and 47, did air to ground. The P47 had some characteristics that made it better at it, does not mean that it was the sole ground attack craft nor was it sole a ground attack bird.

Age is just always going to be a problem in almost every movie. You arent going to convince people that a 24 year old captain could lead a company of soldiers into combat, but 10s of thousand did. Even BOB had most of the cast outside the age.

My biggest issue is actually with the first scene. The movie didnt do a good job of showing the passage of time on the beach. They land, run through hell, catch their breath and then advance up the draw as a team. In reality it took hours and multiple attempts by scratch teams to finally force a breach on Omaha.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t remember Mellish referencing the Holocaust. But it certainly was no secret how Jews were treated in Germany prior to the War.

P-51s could carry up to 1,000 pounds of bombs or rockets.

Hanks was 41-42 when SPR was filmed. Not unrealistic for the time considering he was a school teacher before the war. What is unrealistic is him being a Lt Commander/Commander in that WW2 USN Destroyer film he was recently in. He’s in his mid 60s now and looks it. LCDR/CDR in WW2 would be 30s/early 40s.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what I don't understand about the beginning part is when they're all off the beach and lined up over that trench behind the pillbox, pointing their rifles into it... and the Germans start running out of the bunker into the trench to get wasted.. they're not even coming out firing?

WTF were the Germans doing?... why not come out and surrender or stay in and fight.. or do anything but run around getting smoked without firing a shot?
View Quote

By the time the Americans circled they were probably done taking prisoners.

Germans didn’t feel like burning alive.

Combat is chaos. They might have been losing their hearing 20 seconds before blasting the MG then said fuck this and ran out not realizing the army was already waiting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Combat is chaos. They might have been losing their hearing 20 seconds before blasting the MG then said fuck this and ran out not realizing the army was already waiting.
View Quote

John Q Moviegoer has no idea just how chaotic combat is. Movies tend to avoid showing it because it makes for bad storytelling. I've heard that like 15% of casualties are fratricide and I believe it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Upham did it....
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The best part of SPR is the D day scene. There are inaccuracies in it, but it's still the most visceral recounting of that experience I've seen.  I can look past the "movie stuff" like how they compressed what took several hours in real life into 30 minutes the same way I can overlook standard war movie conventions of showing every member of a squad in the same shot where in real life they would be much more spread out.

The rest of the movie bugs me quite a bit both with the decisions made by the characters and things like a MG emplacement being out there all by itself with no supporting infantry. Same goes for putting the MG in the bell tower with the sniper in the end instead of setting it up to fire on a flank. "No, let's put it where it has restricted lanes of fire AND will attract attention to our sniper. That sounds like a good plan."
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah yes. I too remember when the Americans bombed the Koreans at Normandy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
German perspective of D-Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6RjuNYnA7c

It happened about 3 years after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I watch The Longest  Day and BOB. Both far more accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sigh.....it's a movie. Movies are supposed to tell stories.

If they made a historically accurate movie you wouldn't want to watch it.

I watch The Longest  Day and BOB. Both far more accurate.

BOB had some serious inaccuracies...as did The Longest Day

eta: https://www.wearethemighty.com/entertainment/historical-inaccuracies-band-of-brothers?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the point was to show that the Captain was just a dude in charge of other dudes, and he wasn't the best tactician.

Then again, who knows?
View Quote

Years ago I read an article which questioned Spielberg on this very question.  His answer was it was a really stupid decision to directly assault an MG 42 and was meant to show that Captain Miller was human and was not perfect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Germans used infantry to support machine guns.  Many times, at the platoon level, they simply fired off the bipod and might use small drums.

A couple of Germans out by themselves in the middle of nowhere with a heavy machine gun like an MG42 on a leffette tripod, and sandbags, made no sense.

FYSA, there were many times, such as El Guettar in North Africa, Cisterna near Anzio, Zerf in Germany in 1945 (Cisterna was a disaster but the other two were successful)  where Rangers were tasked to infiltrate through enemy lines and block a road, hit a high value target or something similar behind enemy lines.   Maybe you had a big attack and the Rangers cutting off a road or hitting something in the rear would be helpful and support the main effort of the regular infantry.  That was a frequent use since there were only around four ranger battalions in Europe.

The idea that they would give the mission to go find Ryan to Miller and he would NOT bypass the enemy MG made no darn sense.  Rangers infiltrated and bypassed Germans All.The.Time.  Its what they did.  Mindlessly frontally charging the MG like a brainless honey badger is out of character for the background of who he was playing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what I don't understand about the beginning part is when they're all off the beach and lined up over that trench behind the pillbox, pointing their rifles into it... and the Germans start running out of the bunker into the trench to get wasted.. they're not even coming out firing?

WTF were the Germans doing?... why not come out and surrender or stay in and fight.. or do anything but run around getting smoked without firing a shot?
View Quote

In real life the allies suffered more casualties than the Germans on D-Day. They weren't the pushovers the movies made them out to be.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bombs
View Quote

They had HVARs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In real life the allies suffered more casualties than the Germans on D-Day. They weren't the pushovers the movies made them out to be.
View Quote

And we were fighting the JV squad.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty sure I heard VDH the other day say the Germans inflicted 1.7 casualties against the Americans for every one of theirs..
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

pretty sure I heard VDH the other day say the Germans inflicted 1.7 casualties against the Americans for every one of theirs..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall ( from a museum visit at Omaha ) reading about a young MG42 gunner in a bunker.

He had a huge amount of ammo stacked next to his MG ( 50k rds if I remember rightly ) and runners fed him more as he ran low.

He burned out several barrels that morning. He described it as like shooting fish in a barrel - especially when he caught the GIs bunched up as the landing craft doors dropped.

He fired every round and melted a few barrels then ran away and managed to get away from the landing area.

He said he felt a mixture of shame at killing so many men and pride at doing his job well.

He said a conservative estimate would be one GI hit for every 5 rds fired. And he lost count but was knee deep in empty ammo tins so was well over 100k rds fired.

Edit - the bunkers at Normandy were mostly crewed by 2nd tier troops. And those on recuperation from injuries. And lots of obsolete weapons along with captured enemy weapons repurposed.
Many say that had it been tier one troops such as SS, it might have been even costlier to conduct the landings.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Granted we never saw a full layout of the place, but it always seemed to me that they could have circled back and snuck up from behind the bunker
View Quote

Agreed.  That was what I thought the first time I saw it.  Most of the men wanted to go around it anyway, so why no go around and attack from the higher ground?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Same.

BOB was much better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Besides the first scene, Saving Private Ryan is unwatchable.  I just end up getting mad at everyone.

Same.

BOB was much better
BOB was the best thing ever put on film/video.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know what i just watched but it was kind of awesome.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is the WWII movie Beitodesstrafe did the casting for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not enough waifus to be an @Beitodesstrafe production.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

John Q Moviegoer has no idea just how chaotic combat is. Movies tend to avoid showing it because it makes for bad storytelling. I've heard that like 15% of casualties are fratricide and I believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a Vietnam vet on here who mentioned  that the ambush scene in “Forest Gump” was pretty accurate.  Boredom broken by absolute intensity
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
The assault on the machine gun position may not have been tactically sound. But Cpt. Miller stated that if they didn't take out the MGs, they would have ambushed the next US patrol to come by. So he couldn't leave it there. And as he put it, although his mission was Ryan, the ultimate goal was to win the war.

Also, it was during this timeframe that we learn the back story of Cpt. Miller. The attack was also a way for the movie to show the utter ridiculousness of putting a squad in danger to save one guy in the eyes of the guys on the ground, although this was seen as a high and noble cause by Gen. Marshall.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There was a Vietnam vet on here who mentioned  that the ambush scene in “Forest Gump” was pretty accurate.  Boredom broken by absolute intensity
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my dad’s good friends told me when Gump came out it was the most realistic of his time in Vietnam.  Said that while Platoon, FMJ, others were good stories and movies, his experience was more of Gump’s.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#29]
even in laser MILes training  you learn fast if you see 8-10  dead guys in your nations uniform you stop .observe & call for artillery

the scene was to remove the Medic & show that the stress on the team was taking them apart

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Not realistic.  In reality the first wave was completely ineffective they were either dead, wounded or pinned down.  The other waves landed in the flanks and flanked the positions.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you are a member of a rifle squad, and you function as a member of the squad, you are, by doctrine, an SDM, not a sniper.

That character doesn't do any sniper stuff in the whole movie.
View Quote

Considering we had basically zero sniper doctrine during the war. This makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wasn’t in the military, so this may be a stupid question.  Shouldn’t there have been another MG position close to the one they attacked?
View Quote

Yes. A “depth” position back and to the side. Trying to flank around would have you running into one extra fighting position minimum, likely two. That’s usually bunker doctrine, I’m not 100% on WWII era German defensive/ counter mobility ops.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Besides the first scene, Saving Private Ryan is unwatchable.  I just end up getting mad at everyone.
View Quote

Agreed.  I don’t care for the movie.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]
The Brecourt Manor assault in BOB was well done

http://mattfife.com/?p=449

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Why the hell did he take Upham to start with?
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why the hell did he take Upham to start with?
View Quote

He needed a translator.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wasn’t in the military, so this may be a stupid question.  Shouldn’t there have been another MG position close to the one they attacked?
View Quote

There may have been, but the MG may have been destroyed/disabled by the first ambushed squad before they were eliminated.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you are a member of a rifle squad, and you function as a member of the squad, you are, by doctrine, an SDM, not a sniper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had a sniper with them.

Who took part in a frontal assault instead of providing covering fire / taking out the MG crew without needing a frontal assault ?

Killing the Kraut sniper in the bell tower != sniper stuff
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, let’s frontally assault an MG42 on a tripod with a clear field of fire.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fighters could have used rocket pods to destroy tanks.  P51s did use them, thought the movie doesn't show pods on the planes themselves.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lost their medic and let the SS Kraut go, only to have him come back and put a round in Miller and knife Mellish while Upham locked up in fear.
View Quote

The guy who knifed Mellish was someone different.  It does make it confusing, when he passed Upham on the stairs, but they did not know each other.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Considering we had basically zero sniper doctrine during the war. This makes sense.
View Quote

Army didn't, but the Marines did. Scout/Sniper school established in 1943.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They had a sniper with them.

Who took part in a frontal assault instead of providing covering fire / taking out the MG crew without needing a frontal assault ?

No, that's squad designated marksman stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I recall ( from a museum visit at Omaha ) reading about a young MG42 gunner in a bunker.

He had a huge amount of ammo stacked next to his MG ( 50k rds if I remember rightly ) and runners fed him more as he ran low.

He burned out several barrels that morning. He described it as like shooting fish in a barrel - especially when he caught the GIs bunched up as the landing craft doors dropped.

He fired every round and melted a few barrels then ran away and managed to get away from the landing area.

He said he felt a mixture of shame at killing so many men and pride at doing his job well.

He said a conservative estimate would be one GI hit for every 5 rds fired. And he lost count but was knee deep in empty ammo tins so was well over 100k rds fired.

Edit - the bunkers at Normandy were mostly crewed by 2nd tier troops. And those on recuperation from injuries. And lots of obsolete weapons along with captured enemy weapons repurposed.
Many say that had it been tier one troops such as SS, it might have been even costlier to conduct the landings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he overestimates his hit ratio.  If he didn’t he killed or wounded 20,000 allied soldiers.  I don’t know, but that many in just his field of fire really seems like a stretch.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I still haven't figured out why Berlin wasn't captured by D+2.  Fooking Hollywood.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Brecourt Manor assault in BOB was well done

http://mattfife.com/?p=449

View Quote

Good link, nicely breaks it down step by step
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Why didn't they go around the back side of the hill and attack it from above?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think he overestimates his hit ratio.  If he didn’t he killed or wounded 20,000 allied soldiers.  I don’t know, but that many in just his field of fire really seems like a stretch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree - I would have said 1 in 20.

However, even a couple of 5 round bursts into a tightly packed landing craft will take out a lot if you consider FMJ penetration.

That and the lack of cover on the beach.

Edit - I spent 5 days in the area of Omaha beach in June 2019. And St Marie Eglise, Dead mans corner etc

Having walked that beach, I can only imagine how slow and energy sapping it was, in wet clothing and carrying a lot of heavy kit.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don’t remember Mellish referencing the Holocaust. But it certainly was no secret how Jews were treated in Germany prior to the War.

P-51s could carry up to 1,000 pounds of bombs or rockets.

Hanks was 41-42 when SPR was filmed. Not unrealistic for the time considering he was a school teacher before the war. What is unrealistic is him being a Lt Commander/Commander in that WW2 USN Destroyer film he was recently in. He’s in his mid 60s now and looks it. LCDR/CDR in WW2 would be 30s/early 40s.
View Quote

Could he have been pulled out of navy reserves or have been a civilian or merchant marine captain who was activated for service?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I still haven't figured out why Berlin wasn't captured by D+2.  Fooking Hollywood.
View Quote

They got lost. Have you ever driven on European roads?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top