Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2020 10:03:28 AM EDT
I am not affiliated, nor do I get anything for sharing it here.

https://safelifedefense.com/product/concealable-flexible-rifle-armor-fras/

Dude shooting it with semi-questionable methods: (notice that it is s/n 0001)
RIFLE RATED BULLETPROOF VEST | Safe Life Defense | FRAS Flexible Rifle Armor System

Some knucklehead demonstrating how flexible it is:

Safe Life Defense Flexible Rifle Armor

Some screen caps I took from their videos:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

For a long time now, I've said that there is high end armor available to people where money isn't an option, and they just don't share that tech. To my eye, it looks like a reimagining of DragonSkin(R) tiled armor. In this rendering, it's enclosed in an internal pouch, maybe that's how they resolved the alleged issues with adhesive failure.

It appears the tiles touch. I wonder, if that's ceramic, how long they can rub together before cracking or chipping occurs? (There was audio in 'dachiefs' video, I didn't hear anything like you'd expect with them touching).

On the website, I didn't see a NIJ certification, but that's not a complete deal killer (to me) if it works.

I searched here using the site search function, and using google site search, and didn't see any discussion.

$1700 USD, and weighs in around 16 pounds in big boy sizes, but complete multistrike protection that wraps around and flexes...

What do the grownups say?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks that was awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I say it isn't mature yet, or else it would be everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure my loaded carrier with plates, mags, and IFAK is under 16 pounds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I say it isn't mature yet, or else it would be everywhere.
View Quote
This. DragonSkin turned out to be a debacle.

Also,

1. I've never heard of this company. Get back to me when an established, blue chip armor brand (Safariland, Point Blank, etc.) launches something like this.

2. 16lbs is HEAVY. Like, heavier than a full set of ESAPIs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine is 13lbs with mags/IFAK/lvl 3+ plates
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mine is 13lbs with mags/IFAK/lvl 3+ plates
View Quote
You have U210s? I'm right around 15 with L210s in a Deodon and 3 mag rack.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Look at the thickness, too. It reminds me of shit tier body armor back in the 90's, or the PASGT stuff. But, if it keeps high threat types from wearing 3a soft special threats (what will be HG2 maybe RF1 when the new NIJ standard comes out) PLUS tossing a plate carrier over that... (shrugs).

Not worth it to me, hell I am looking at II or even IIa for my next duty vest. Those things are FLEXIBLE, and so light I honestly thought dude put cardboard in his carrier...
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Look at the thickness, too. It reminds me of shit tier body armor back in the 90's, or the PASGT stuff. But, if it keeps high threat types from wearing 3a soft special threats (what will be HG2 maybe RF1 when the new NIJ standard comes out) PLUS tossing a plate carrier over that... (shrugs).

Not worth it to me, hell I am looking at II or even IIa for my next duty vest. Those things are FLEXIBLE, and so light I honestly thought dude put cardboard in his carrier...
View Quote
I have some low profile iiia UHMWPE that is silly light.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:29:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

DragonSkin turned out to be a debacle.
View Quote
What I remember was... like with the ar15, DoD didn't want it, so they skewed the testing to fail it. The adhesives were getting gummy, or something like that, allowing the tiles to slip.

It's been what? Ten-fifteen years? Plenty of time for someone to take that ball and run with it. Look at the advances in materials science, especially polymers. I truly believe something functional and mature like this has been available for POTUS and royalty types for a long time now. I just wonder how the plebes ran across it LOL
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have U210s? I'm right around 15 with L210s in a Deodon and 3 mag rack.
View Quote
No, I bought TSG 3+ @ 3.5lbs each. I had to do some research on them to make sure they were legit, but they are according to the tests I found and they're made in the USA.

Daeodon ASS, 3 rifle mags, tq, IFAK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#11]
any other info on the FRAS?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top