Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2021 4:01:55 AM EDT
I didn't even realize we had a car subforum until today, and I'm looking for information on SUVs in general, as I think I'm gonna be in the market for a mid-late 90s to early 2000s SUV. I'm looking for both a project car and a daily driver.

Looking for inspiration, more than anything.

Pics, and suggestions, or information resources are welcome.

Reliability is my primary concern, so my thoughts are a Jeep XJ Cherokee, or a 4Runner. Or, just because they're cool as shit, I know they're unreliable, a Land Rover Discovery II.

Open to other options. The Mitsubishi Montero is also cool as shit, and I love anything Lexus or Acura.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My 07 Nissan Xterra Off-Road has been mostly reliable. I had the timing set done right after I bought it which was the only major mechanical (common for the VQ40) and updated the suspension with a 2” lift from a buddy’s shop. I keep thinking about selling it, but then I keep buying shit to upgrade the old components lol.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
In late 90s, early 2000s you probably only want to look at Nissans (4runners of this time will demand more $ than they are worth).
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#4]
4Runner
GX470/460
LX460/570
Land Cruiser
XJ
X-Terra
Excursion
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
GMT400 Tahoes or Yukons

available as 2 doors
Large number built
parts interchange between brands/trucks/models
HUGE aftermarket
parts available at any parts store anywhere
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You are in the sweet spot for 100 series Land Cruisers and Lexus LX470's  Ih8mud is all things land cruiser
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4Runner
GX470/460
LX460/570
Land Cruiser
XJ
X-Terra
Excursion
View Quote

Are the Nissans that good? I've always understood Nissans to be hot ass garbage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GMT400 Tahoes or Yukons

available as 2 doors
Large number built
HUGE aftermarket
View Quote

Huh. I usually avoid US made cars, but that makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You are in the sweet spot for 100 series Land Cruisers and Lexus LX470's  Ih8mud is all things land cruiser
View Quote

Land Cruiser as in Toyota Land Cruiser?

I thought those were still priced high as shit, regardless of production range.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everything that is good about the GMT400 platform is better in the GMT800 (99-06) platform. They have a few weak spots that are easily remedied.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Everything that is good about the GMT400 platform is better in the GMT800 (99-06) platform. They have a few weak spots that are easily remedied.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's good about them and what are the weak spots that can be remedied?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
GMT400 Tahoes or Yukons

available as 2 doors
Large number built
HUGE aftermarket
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Here’s mine I got it to putz around with and it was in great shape for being in NH. I actually really like driving it and it’s fairly easy to work on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reliability is my primary concern, so my thoughts are a Jeep XJ Cherokee, or a 4Runner. Or, just because they're cool as shit, I know they're unreliable, a Land Rover Discovery II.

Open to other options. The Mitsubishi Montero is also cool as shit, and I love anything Lexus or Acura.
View Quote

How big are you thinking of?  Suburbans / Tahoe / Yukons are an option, the engines and transmissions are generally solid.  There are some common issues, but since they're well-known, they're generally easy to plan for, and not terrible to repair.

Common issues:

- fuel pump will fail.  Use a quality pump and don't run the tank empty every time.
- power wire to rear HVAC will burn up at a certain connector near the drivers door.  Bypass the connector and solder the wire, it's fixed permanently.
- cluster lights and steppers will fail.  You can buy quality ones and repair it yourself for like $60
- HVAC blend doors will occasionally fritz out.  Pull the fuses for an hour, it'll self-reset.
- 4wd control board will fail because of bad solder.  You can pull it out and resolder the connections for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top