Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2017 2:16:43 PM EDT
Started acting funny last night, it's getting hot and the battery display is incorrect (left battery indicator shows 25% at a full charge).

My main issue is the heat, temp settles between 45-50c at rest, way too hot for it not being in use. Seems like something is draining it. Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How are your batteries? Torn wrappers? Old batteries?

Have you rotated your batteries to make sure they're being discharged equally?

Have you done any firmware updates in the past? Lots of people have fucked up their aliens by flashing the wrong firmware.

Any juice leak into the mod?

How long have you had it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are your batteries? Torn wrappers? Old batteries?

Have you rotated your batteries to make sure they're being discharged equally?

Have you done any firmware updates in the past? Lots of people have fucked up their aliens by flashing the wrong firmware.

Any juice leak into the mod?

How long have you had it?
View Quote
All my battery pairs are dedicated, same brand, rotated in order etc. Tried all three sets, same result.

Haven't downloaded / updated.

It's about 8 months old.

Little bit of juice pooled between the tank and mod. Not much.

I think the board is toast at this point. Even though the battery icon reads low on the left terminal, it runs. But, it is running too hot and I'm getting strange error messages on and off. Put some new coils in the tank. That didn't help.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I wish I had a solution for you but I don't. I work at a vape shop and those have been shitting the bed left and right. The wismec predator has been a POS too. Really disappointed with both smok and wismec on these mods, I really liked my alien and really wanted to like the predator. Smok probably wont do anything for you either.

Hate to say it but you're probably going to have to buy a new mod. My favorite lately has been the VooPoo Drag, seems really solid and has a lot of nice features very similar to DNA mods. It might not be your style though and the alien seemed really good for the first few months too. The Drag hasn't been out very long but is been very well received.

It's really hard to know what is going to last these days, the alien was everyone's favorite mod and sold like hotcakes for the first few months. Now nobody will touch them and there's nothing we can do for the people who's mods are dying. Firmware update, no firmware update, firmware updated right or wrong they all seem to be going out in one way or another.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. I've been using a Smok AL85 for a bit now and love it. It's the baby Alien mod. Hopefully it doesn't go tits up soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn. I've been using a Smok AL85 for a bit now and love it. It's the baby Alien mod. Hopefully it doesn't go tits up soon.
View Quote
I hope it doesn't either but I have seen a few of those die too, not as much as the regular Alien but then again we didn't sell as many of the baby aliens. Most common problems are not sensing the atomizer or a check battery warning when the battery is still reasonably charged and in good shape. I used to love smok, now I am hesitant to recommend their products.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I hope it doesn't either but I have seen a few of those die too, not as much as the regular Alien but then again we didn't sell as many of the baby aliens. Most common problems are not sensing the atomizer or a check battery warning when the battery is still reasonably charged and in good shape. I used to love smok, now I am hesitant to recommend their products.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I'll pick up a back-up mod in the near future. My last mod was an IPV D3, and it was awesome, but it took one too many drops, and finally stopped working properly (sometimes it won't fire). It's hard to find a black one these days, and I don't want one the colored ones.

What are some good, single 18650 mods I should be looking at in the $50 range?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I guess I'll pick up a back-up mod in the near future. My last mod was an IPV D3, and it was awesome, but it took one too many drops, and finally stopped working properly (sometimes it won't fire). It's hard to find a black one these days, and I don't want one the colored ones.

View Quote
I have had good luck with the Istick Pico. Similar in size and form to the AL85. Not quite as nice and fewer features but haven't seen any real issues with them. Have also seen the Aster to be pretty solid for something smaller. Keep in mind there are many more options, these are just things that I have sold before that I haven't seen anybody have an issue with. I certainly don't know everything and most of our mods are either internal battery or 2+ 18650 mods. We dont have a lot of single battery ones because most people either go internal or they want something with 2 or more to run high wattage. Out of the ones we have like half of them are smok mods and I am done recommending anything from them after this recent debacle with the aliens. The nebula has been pretty solid, its a 26650 mod but has an adapter for 18650s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't require a lot of features. This is my 3rd of 4th mod with temp control, and I think I've used it maybe once. And I stay below 50 watts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't require a lot of features. This is my 3rd of 4th mod with temp control, and I think I've used it maybe once. And I stay below 50 watts.
View Quote
I went back to using my vtc mini. I fucking love this thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hard to find many options in the single battery mods it seems. I had a Innokin Coolfire4 18650 that I really liked but I gave it to a friend because I was taking a break. Quality, solid mod from my experience. But I only see it for sale at two stores and it just came out last year.

I'd have to check the reviews but the CoolFire Ultra has the same form factor with a 4000mAh battery. USB ports are everywhere anymore (unless you're outdoors I guess) so I might look at that myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one and liked it a lot. But it started auto-firing and I can't figure out how to fix it. I tore it apart and cleaned the fire button and contact area. Still auto-fires, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hard to find many options in the single battery mods it seems. I had a Innokin Coolfire4 18650 that I really liked but I gave it to a friend because I was taking a break. Quality, solid mod from my experience. But I only see it for sale at two stores and it just came out last year.

I'd have to check the reviews but the CoolFire Ultra has the same form factor with a 4000mAh battery. USB ports are everywhere anymore (unless you're outdoors I guess) so I might look at that myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Removable batteries are a must for me. I do like the looks of a lot of internal battery mods. I just can't bring myself to get one, though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah I wish I had a solution for you but I don't. I work at a vape shop and those have been shitting the bed left and right. The wismec predator has been a POS too. Really disappointed with both smok and wismec on these mods, I really liked my alien and really wanted to like the predator. Smok probably wont do anything for you either.

Hate to say it but you're probably going to have to buy a new mod. My favorite lately has been the VooPoo Drag, seems really solid and has a lot of nice features very similar to DNA mods. It might not be your style though and the alien seemed really good for the first few months too. The Drag hasn't been out very long but is been very well received.

It's really hard to know what is going to last these days, the alien was everyone's favorite mod and sold like hotcakes for the first few months. Now nobody will touch them and there's nothing we can do for the people who's mods are dying. Firmware update, no firmware update, firmware updated right or wrong they all seem to be going out in one way or another.
View Quote
Yeah, this is my second SMOK and my last one. Somehow it constantly runs current and the resting temp is around 40c. That and not reading the proper battery level so I get about half the battery life out of them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
My Alien also shit the bed, within 3 months no less. No leakage or anything, it just started acting funny one day then refused to turn on. Lots of people are having issues with them. I've been enjoying Smaont's Battlestar. It has fewer features (only reads total battery life, not individual batteries, for example) but it's been rock solid and the design is well thought out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My Alien also shit the bed, within 3 months no less. No leakage or anything, it just started acting funny one day then refused to turn on. Lots of people are having issues with them. I've been enjoying Smaont's Battlestar. It has fewer features (only reads total battery life, not individual batteries, for example) but it's been rock solid and the design is well thought out.
View Quote
Timely revival. My Joyetech is on its last leg, reading coil shorts and the contact is loose and coming out. Time for a new mod.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Sadly, the top screw sockets stripped out of my Alien in the last week.  I've never even taken them out.  But when I tried to tighten them, the two sockets under the tank just let the screw spin.

I've loved the mod, but I got it in Feb. and I expected it to last a lot longer than this.

It is still usable, and I'll keep it as a back-up, but I just put in an order for a Geekvape Aegis Legend.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Keep me posted on that Aegis. I might order it. The water resistance kinda sold me. Perfect for work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sadly, the top screw sockets stripped out of my Alien in the last week.  I've never even taken them out.  But when I tried to tighten them, the two sockets under the tank just let the screw spin.

I've loved the mod, but I got it in Feb. and I expected it to last a lot longer than this.

It is still usable, and I'll keep it as a back-up, but I just put in an order for a Geekvape Aegis Legend.
Keep me posted on that Aegis. I might order it. The water resistance kinda sold me. Perfect for work.
@Keith1980

I got my Aegis Legend in.  Ironically, the Alien that I have separated so bad that wires were visible on the day that my Aegis came in.

I have been using the Aegis Legend since Thursday, and I really like it.   I don't want to side-track this thread, so I am about to start a new thread on the Aegis Legend.  I'll @ you in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#20]
I have gone through 2 of them (aliens). last maybe 6 months each. My issue is a piece breaks somehow and the damn fire button plate falls out. top screw sockets get stripped. design flaw.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have gone through 2 of them (aliens). last maybe 6 months each. My issue is a piece breaks somehow and the damn fire button plate falls out. top screw sockets get stripped. design flaw.
View Quote
Yeah, I've had that with them. It'll still fire if you press the little, white pressure post that the plate is over. I don't consider that a deal breaker, but then again, I ride my mods until wheels fall off.

ETA: See my other thread about JB Welding an insert to a  housing. I get all the life out of em.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top