BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Page / 21
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wag_bag:

I started the instant he developed an interest in chasing a ball. He desperately needed that outlet.
View Quote

That begs the question....what are these people doing to give their dogs an outlet for that energy?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:

That begs the question....what are these people doing to give their dogs an outlet for that energy?
View Quote

Some trainers use ball and or food for EVERY aspect of training. If they don't do what they want, the don't get fed or get the ball.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

Some trainers use ball and or food for EVERY aspect of training. If they don't do what they want, the don't get fed or get the ball.
View Quote

I used food when my guy with a little pup, then more recently I've transitioned away from food and I'm using play as his motivation.

I read that stuff and I was very confused since I know what mine is like with little exercise and with the whole list of 'don't do' I started to wonder...
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The move to the new house has her very stressed...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Steve's getting much bigger...He'll be 5 mos. old on Nov 5th.
Here he is with Lucy and Frank, who are 4 and 12, respectively.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Nap time after bite work. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Got this still from a video taken doing our re-pen at the end of our run.  We got first place on this run.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]

This was taken while our now 8 month old GSD was playing with our almost 11 year old Mal at boarding while we were out of town.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My girl is 18 months old now. Time flies.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.  How much does she weigh at 18 months?  Our GSD turns 9 months old tomorrow, and he weighed in at 69.4lbs today.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By zyx5432:
Nice.  How much does she weigh at 18 months?  Our GSD turns 9 months old tomorrow, and he weighed in at 69.4lbs today.
View Quote

Good grief. I hope you named him Baby Huey.

I just stepped on the bathroom scale with her and got 70lb +/- 0.5lb. She’s about 24” at the front shoulders.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

Good grief. I hope you named him Baby Huey.

I just stepped on the bathroom scale with her and got 70lb +/- 0.5lb. She’s about 24” at the front shoulders.
View Quote

Yeah, guess he's going to be a big boy!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#13]
My Mal is down in Austin right now. She's working with an ex Belgian high speed dude dog handler.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#15]
Fuck it. Link is being stupid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Half shepherd / half tolly retriever . Got her from @joker1 - Semper fi dog rescue

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:41:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: joker1] [#17]
Sent this guy to his new home yesterday, Moses! Going to @Realdealoo8 with ed the help of @Chowser and daughter.

Same meeting I handed the shep mix Hazel to PWA-Commando and wife.

Then I pick up Luca today.

I set up @mrrick with an interview with another rescue for Zoey.

Blaze, @44-40pros mother's shep/husky puppy.

A week and a half I get vetting done on Patch, @nondoz and Daisy, @troderts5-0

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Great dog, her name is Auska. Best friend besides the Wife. Tears through soccer balls like nobodies business. Had her since 6 weeks old and she's three years now.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Moses was such a sweethart!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MHeemeyer] [#20]
Here is my Mal.  I took this in our pool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 5:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#21]
Placeholder for youtube.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MHeemeyer:
Here is my Mal.  I took this in our pool.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/515553/DSC00844ee_jpg-1741589.JPG
View Quote

Love it!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:04:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor05] [#23]
Steve with the wife. He'll be 7 mos old Jan 5th and was 65 lbs yesterday

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Motor05:
Steve with the wife. He'll be 7 mos old Jan 5th and was 65 lbs yesterday

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60767/SavedImage_20201225_130854_jpg-1752648.JPG
View Quote

Your dog's name is Steve?  That is hilarious!
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:31:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor05] [#25]

Your dog's name is Steve?  That is hilarious!
View Quote

Yessir, and this is Frank

Attachment Attached File

And Lucy
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:31:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DTitanOwner] [#26]
My 12 year old GSD got bloat on the 23rd... Day before his bday.

Walks to my backdoor and makes the retching sound like he is about to puke. Goes outside, walks around for about 3 minutes trying to puke nothing comes out. I call vet, the front desk chick basically says if its unproductive just try to get him some bland food and water and monitor him. While i'm on the phone with them he is still continuing to try to puke. This is going on for about 10 mins before I decide fuck it I'm taking him to emergency vet. Get him in the car and he's occasionally trying to puke but seems to have maybe calmed down a tiny bit. Get stuck in traffic, at one point he isn't responding so I throw it in park and jump to the back to see if hes still conscious/alert. He looks up at me and so I was like alright we're good. On the way there my vet calls me back and is like hey talked to the Dr, he said you need to get him to the emergency vet asap, tell them I'm already on the way.

Show up to emergency vet and they get him in immediately, 3 minutes or so goes by and they call me and say he has bloat needs to have surgery. Surgery goes good, no necrosis of the stomach, no spleen issues, no heart issues during surgery. From the time he started trying to puke in the house to the moment I got him to vet, was probably an hr maybe hr and 10 minutes.

Honestly, was scary as fuck. Really glad I was home with him when it happened. Really wasn't 100% sure what was going on when he started but pretty quickly figured out it was probably bloat from what I knew. He seemed super out of it/in distress.

Here's a short video of how he was being weird af when I was initially trying to figure out wtf was going on.
https://i.imgur.com/06sK382.mp4

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I am confused with all the dog threads going on here.  I put this one up in another thread, but it really belongs here;

Here's my ding dong...

Puppy

Attachment Attached File

He likes bubble baths

Attachment Attached File

Loves it when we get service loaners

Attachment Attached File

Likes to swim (taken in our pool)

Attachment Attached File

Complete ham.  My best friend.

Attachment Attached File

He sleeps with me every night.  Love this idiot.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Of course we all have the best doggies out there.  This is a great thread.  But @SauerPatchKid, your dog is full-on wicked.  Does he have "the tattoo" in his right ear?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Of course we all have the best doggies out there.  This is a great thread.  But @SauerPatchKid, your dog is full-on wicked.  Does he have "the tattoo" in his right ear?
View Quote

Why would be have a MWD tattoo?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Checking in. It’s been a while.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#32]
10 days until this sweetie comes home.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Top- 8 weeks old and 8lbs the bottom was 2 weeks ago at 13weeks. Apparently I've got a wolf sized gsd. She had her last parvo booster yesterday vet weighed her at 33lbs.
Totally wasnt expecting the possibility of having a 100lb+ female gsd.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Kuiper finally came home!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Our newest edition...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Belgian Tervuren?  I don't think I've seen a pic of one here yet.  I saw a couple in a herding trial recently.  I've seen quite a few in conformation trials. They're beautiful dogs!
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Kai and Duke say. "Don't let the thread die..."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By tripleoption:

Belgian Tervuren?  I don't think I've seen a pic of one here yet.  I saw a couple in a herding trial recently.  I've seen quite a few in conformation trials. They're beautiful dogs!
View Quote

She's Groenendal. Old school Euro origin on both sides, her Aunt is "Mach 6" and kind of a legend in agility. All working line. Her Dad guards million dollar Horses and thumps Coyotes for a hobby.LOL!

Still in the Belgian quad, just long fur and all black, with some slight variations on drives and personality.

Tervs are more herding, and guarding driven, where Groens are balanced and much more flexible as utility Dogs. Herding, protection, Skijoring, Retrieving, they do it all.
Interesting note. They were used by the Belgians as Machine Gun cart Dogs in WW1, and the Krauts damn near exterminated the breed, some figure that only 30-40 were left after the war.
Elly's blood line goes back to two that survived the war, and she's one of maybe two dozen in the states with direct lineage. The Breed is passionately guarded to avoid the AKC conformity mutations and access to the BYB's.

Our old Terv was a Megalomaniac and strung tighter than a Banjo string.Intergalactic domination was his goal in life, and the world was his chew toy.
I caught him one day, herding the neighbors pigs...another time, he got a wild hair and took off while in the field, and I caught up with him 3/4 miles away, dominance humping a Pit Bull in a Migrant worker housing a neighbor owns. He got started into Belgian ring, but he was not stable enough and showed some negative signs. He took every bite personally. Damn if he didn't hit like a Pro line backer though.. so back to thumping Woodchucks and being a farm pooch.

Awesome Dogs...but you have to understand Belgians, or they WILL own their owners and be problematic. They don't follow the rules and constantly push buttons for a reaction that can be exploited for control. They really are smarter than any Harvard Grad..and need constant challenges to keep their brain busy, or they start plotting mayhem. The show lines, have been absolutely corrupted in the U.S. and the working lines from original lines are almost a Cult situation. They are the only Breed that can outwork the Border collie or Aussies, and you have to force them not to kill themselves, as they have no off switch. LOL!

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I have had Labrador retriever, red nosed pit bull, basset hound, Norwegian Elkhound, Cairn terrier, Kelpie, Border Collie, rough collie, Australian Shepherd, Mini Australian shepherd, mixed breed, toy American Eskimo, Yorkshire terrier, and while I loved each and every one of them, the herding breeds are my favorite.

A little over a month ago, a large Owl killed and took away my small 18 year old mixed breed terrier ..that hurt like the devil.  Both wife and I missed the sounds of things like the thundering of dog feet running up and down the halls in the house, So, after three different rescue agencies failed to even return our phone calls while we were attempting to adopt a dog.  Eventually we went to a breeder and ended up with a red, tri-color, female Mini Australian Shepherd pup.

We may be out of our minds taking on the work of raising a pup, but we both admit that she has already stolen our hearts.  So far, while we both get tired of all the work, we know it is adding to our quality of life.

All the herding breeds (German Shepherds, Mal, Dutchie, Border Collie, Kelpie, Aussie, etc, etc) are marvelous dogs, and quickly turn a house into a home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#40]
We were able to get some good work in today.  Moved a few goats across a friends ranch, let them graze a bit, then took them back to their pen.  It's kidding time, so they're in lockdown except for the lucky few that went out with us.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By S-28:

She's Groenendal. Old school Euro origin on both sides, her Aunt is "Mach 6" and kind of a legend in agility. All working line. Her Dad guards million dollar Horses and thumps Coyotes for a hobby.LOL!

Still in the Belgian quad, just long fur and all black, with some slight variations on drives and personality.

Tervs are more herding, and guarding driven, where Groens are balanced and much more flexible as utility Dogs. Herding, protection, Skijoring, Retrieving, they do it all.
Interesting note. They were used by the Belgians as Machine Gun cart Dogs in WW1, and the Krauts damn near exterminated the breed, some figure that only 30-40 were left after the war.
Elly's blood line goes back to two that survived the war, and she's one of maybe two dozen in the states with direct lineage. The Breed is passionately guarded to avoid the AKC conformity mutations and access to the BYB's.

Our old Terv was a Megalomaniac and strung tighter than a Banjo string.Intergalactic domination was his goal in life, and the world was his chew toy.
I caught him one day, herding the neighbors pigs...another time, he got a wild hair and took off while in the field, and I caught up with him 3/4 miles away, dominance humping a Pit Bull in a Migrant worker housing a neighbor owns. He got started into Belgian ring, but he was not stable enough and showed some negative signs. He took every bite personally. Damn if he didn't hit like a Pro line backer though.. so back to thumping Woodchucks and being a farm pooch.

Awesome Dogs...but you have to understand Belgians, or they WILL own their owners and be problematic. They don't follow the rules and constantly push buttons for a reaction that can be exploited for control. They really are smarter than any Harvard Grad..and need constant challenges to keep their brain busy, or they start plotting mayhem. The show lines, have been absolutely corrupted in the U.S. and the working lines from original lines are almost a Cult situation. They are the only Breed that can outwork the Border collie or Aussies, and you have to force them not to kill themselves, as they have no off switch. LOL!

View Quote

A couple of weeks ago I was at a trial and one of the owners had a license plate frame with Groenendal on it.  I was like "That's what the dude from Arfcom mentioned.  I know what that is now." Her two dogs she trialed looked just like yours.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:17:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S-28] [#42]
Originally Posted By tripleoption:

A couple of weeks ago I was at a trial and one of the owners had a license plate frame with Groenendal on it.  I was like "That's what the dude from Arfcom mentioned.  I know what that is now." Her two dogs she trialed looked just like yours.
View Quote

They are still rare and fiercely guarded thank God!
Glad ya got to see a couple in person.
They are a treat to work with, and have as family. Even if they can go all mouthy Belgian Groengator like a Mal, and play pranks like a Terv.

I would love to start Elly on some herding. Shes only 1 year and she's too small for Ring sport. Pocket rockets like her absolutely love the herding.
Just no clubs near here. Your GSD is lucky!

LOL!!
Next on Belgian Bingo...Lakenois.

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#43]
Keeping busy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrentMG] [#44]
Picked up this girl from the pound this morning.  They think she is 13 weeks old and a GSD mix.  My other two are very slowly warming up to her but they're definitely jealous.
Heidi
Attachment Attached File

The birthday boy is Baxter, he turned 7 on the third. The white one is Elsa.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/18/2021 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Half Malinios, half Dutch Shepherd.  8 weeks old.  We got her this week, but we chose her from the litter over a month ago and have been waiting until now.

So far she's incredibly smart, bitey when she's riled up, but sweet when she's tired.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#47]
This is Otto. He came from @Joker1  Semper fi dog rescue. He and I are close buddies.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#49]
This is Bear, he was being given away at the local Walmart. I picked him up to look him over and couldn't put him down.

Dad is a white GSD, mom is a blackmouth cur. He's a good boy

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I guess she saw there was no threat.Attachment Attached File
Page / 21
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top