Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
We just picked up “Izzy” at the beginning of March. She’s half GSD, half Mal.
Attachment Attached File

We had something missing from our house after having to put down our 11-year-old lab “Max” this past summer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZoomieFoosh:
We just picked up “Izzy” at the beginning of March. She’s half GSD, half Mal.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/198306/36B5CDF8-43D4-498F-9A89-32B9A4775090_jpe-1332691.JPG

We had something missing from our house after having to put down our 11-year-old lab “Max” this past summer.
View Quote

Nice puppy. We have a bi-color in a slightly larger package.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I think this pic shows his colors well
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Rhea is a Mal and I'm lucky enough to have the warrior dog foundation trainer within 10 minutes. She's going to be used as personal and family protection/my boog buddy when it kicks off. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tripleoption] [#5]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:
Rhea is a Mal and I'm lucky enough to have the warrior dog foundation trainer within 10 minutes. She's going to be used as personal and family protection/my boog buddy when it kicks off. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261590/48797_jpeg-1359861.JPG
View Quote

Cute pup dude.  Keep us updated how her training goes, I'd be interested to know.  I wanted to do bitework with mine, but he was a year and a half old when I checked into it.  I was told it could be done, but it wouldn't be fair to him.  That's OK, he loves herding goats and sniffing stuff out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tripleoption:

Cute pup dude.  Keep us updated how her training goes, I'd be interested to know.  I wanted to do bitework with mine, but he was a year and a half old when I checked into it.  I was told it could be done, but it wouldn't be fair to him.  That's OK, he loves herding goats and sniffing stuff out.
View Quote

I will. Her prey drive is right on track and her attention span for a puppy is very remarkable. We work everyday 30 mins on the clicker and behavior imprinting. Her food

I dont see why you couldnt start bite training that late. Its all about the proper training and the progression of aggression you imprint in the dog. It might take a little while longer but I bet with a good trainer it can be done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#7]

I will. Her prey drive is right on track and her attention span for a puppy is very remarkable. We work everyday 30 mins on the clicker and behavior imprinting. Her food

I dont see why you couldnt start bite training that late. Its all about the proper training and the progression of aggression you imprint in the dog. It might take a little while longer but I bet with a good trainer it can be done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tripleoption:

@Pumbaaajk

Congrats dude! They're so much fun and so easy to work with their focus is disturbingly intense and retardedly eager to please, incredible dogs. Only issue is keeping them occupied, which obviously you're on top of.

Only major issue is they don't do well with harsh corrections. Mine shuts down he gets so upset, some will "come up the leash". Be careful with her if you're used to GSDs or Labs.

and you're right, no idea who sold tripleoption that BS. Traditional Schutzhund trainers will barely even touch a dog till it's at least 2, preferably 3. When it's all grown up and the dogs mature enough to handle the pressure so they can see exactly what they're working with. Starting super young like the IG heroes will burn most dogs out by the time they're old enough to compete.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By clausewitz8:

@Pumbaaajk

Congrats dude! They're so much fun and so easy to work with their focus is disturbingly intense and retardedly eager to please, incredible dogs. Only issue is keeping them occupied, which obviously you're on top of.

Only major issue is they don't do well with harsh corrections. Mine shuts down he gets so upset, some will "come up the leash". Be careful with her if you're used to GSDs or Labs.

and you're right, no idea who sold tripleoption that BS. Traditional Schutzhund trainers will barely even touch a dog till it's at least 2, preferably 3. When it's all grown up and the dogs mature enough to handle the pressure so they can see exactly what they're working with. Starting super young like the IG heroes will burn most dogs out by the time they're old enough to compete.
View Quote

@clausewitz8 Thank you sir.
Harsh commands shes already apparently used to. For some reason shes not doing potty training very well and crate training is the worst I have seen out of any of my dogs. The first two weeks we had he she slept out in the truck because of the whining but now she seems to be getting the hang of it. I come from bird dogs and my current dog(who's got lymphoma) is a cracked out English pointer.

With the world shut down the kids and wife are at home so its constant play time between her, the kids, and the one year old pound pup I got last year.

@tripleoption
I wont even start bit training other than some lite tug on a bit pillow and progressive bite depth(molars) until shes over a year old. Their teeth are still forming and they will need to be fully developed. I don"t particularly want to spend money on titanium teeth right now.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:33:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SauerPatchKid] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]

10.5 year old mal, 9.5 week old GSD (new addition).
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By zyx5432:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32654/93043209_10156781941600124_2345322576231-1371199.jpg

10.5 year old mal, 9.5 week old GSD (new addition).
View Quote

The Mal doesn't look so enthusiastic about the new floppy eared chewy critter addition.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#13]

@SauerPatchKid

That pup is living the dream!
View Quote

Eh, he's been a few places.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#14]

The Mal doesn't look so enthusiastic about the new floppy eared chewy critter addition.
View Quote

She's been a lone pup her whole life!  We specifically wanted a puppy and male.  She has taken to him much better than I feared.  Still a little protective over her stuff now and then, but overall, it's going great.

I freakin forgot how much work puppies are!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#15]
We got T-Rex as a few week old puppy when our niece found him and his siblings dumped in a bar-ditch in central Texas

He's a mutt, but appears to have alot of Anatolian Shepard in him
Attachment Attached File

Here's T-Rex at his fill grown 95 lbs. He's aggressive towards strangers,  but he's my wife's baby
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:41:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#16]
Originally Posted By zyx5432:

She's been a lone pup her whole life!  We specifically wanted a puppy and male.  She https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32654/IMG_7401-1373505.jpghas taken to him much better than I feared.  Still a little protective over her stuff now and then, but overall, it's going great.

I freakin forgot how much work puppies are!
View Quote

They are about as bad as newborns. I have two under two and man they wear me out. Or I'm just getting older.

I've managed to get my 11 week old mal to ring a for bell to go outside and shit and piss outside instead of on my new flooring. That's been the biggest improvement thus far. Her drive to chase the cats is insane and we are trying to work on her recall.

And that's some pretty amazing scene. Beautiful mountains!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
This is Vex.  About 15 months old in the picture.  Currently 17 months old.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dave_H:
This is Vex.  About 15 months old in the picture.  Currently 17 months old.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/30478/2020-03-10_09_42_24_jpg-1375542.JPG
View Quote

Hot.

I need moar pics, we've got three W/L GSDs, the older two have both been bite training at least 6 months.  Mine is a 6 month old pupper and he's about to start.  He's already a bitey sumbitch and I think he will take to it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Been fun watching these two grow together. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By drew5337:

Hot.

I need moar pics, we've got three W/L GSDs, the older two have both been bite training at least 6 months.  Mine is a 6 month old pupper and he's about to start.  He's already a bitey sumbitch and I think he will take to it.
View Quote

This picture was taken about 30 minutes ago:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

We got Athena back in August of 2019.  She was almost 6 moths old, I don't believe the story that the lady I bought her from told me.  She was skinny, found out a few months later she had roundworm, she is terrified of gunshots or any similar noise like motorcycles with loud exhaust.  She is super friendly with people and loves playing with other dogs.

She is my first Mal, and I have to say even with her quirks she is turning out to be one of the best dogs I have ever had.  She is smart as a whip and has a great nose on her. I have a game cam set up at the edge of an open field on my property. I was checking the pictures one day and saw a fox at 01:50. The next picture was 5 minutes later and was of Athena sniffing right where the fox was. She usually sleeps through the night, and once in a while gets me to take her out but she really does not have to go to the bathroom.  On a hunch I checked the weather for that day. The winds were blowing from the area of the fox towards the house. The bedroom where we were sleeping is 250 feet away from that location.  I have since seen her do the same thing a couple of more times when that fox has come through my field.

Just today she amazed me again.  Her id tag has come off a few times in the last month, usually because she rolls around in the grass. She has heard me call it a tag a few times when I put it back on her collar. It came off last night and I did not notice it until this morning. When I took her out first thing this morning I figured I would walk around the yard in the places I know she was yesterday to see if I could find the tag. She was following me and I told her to "find her tag", not really expecting her to find it because the only time before I have toyed with her finding items was with dog treats I hid in the yard.  Anyway, we walked around a bit and I did not see it.  I told my daughter and wife about the tag and just to look for it if they were out and about.  

About an hour later I got her platform bed out of the garage and let her do her thing while I puttered around with things I had to do.  I was in and out of the house for about an hour and I went to check on her and she was sitting on her bed and between her paws was her tag. She must have found it somewhere and brought it back to her bed.  I gave her a bunch of treats for that. A neighbor has a dog that goes to scent training, and when things get back to normal I'm going to take her there and see how she does.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Picked up this fella a few days ago.  Just turned 7 months.  Named "Maui" by the previous owner's granddaughter.  Kind of nervous to see what happens when the SO and I both leave him home alone.  He was never kennel trained and seems to have separation anxiety.  Also is not very friendly with other people or dogs.  However, I'm looking forward to watching him learn and grow.  He's a mess, but definitely a smart boy.  Didn't take long for him to warm up to us, and he's currently sleeping with his head on my shoulder snoring in my ear.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Abby on her way to town
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#24]
So we have been working obedience pretty hard, walking/running on a leash, and social interaction with humans and other pets.

Downside to the last one, she's more motivated to play with other dogs than motivated to bite or play ball. Isolation, crate time, drive work is in our future. Sucks but a tool is a tool...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:14:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiskerz] [#25]
Attachment Attached File
//www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5137/93520390_676995209717141_987794413100990-1391248.JPG" />

Rocky loves the snow. Angel is my Arfcom rescue dog.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#26]
The little man keeps growing!  Over 23 lbs now and ears are both up (turns 12 weeks old tomorrow).

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys, I'm linking my GD thread on a Dutch or Dutch-mix (you tell me...I'm not the expert) that my wife and I found on the side of the interstate Sunday evening. One of my two dogs is an asshole and would take serious work to get him to accept this beautiful girl (we call her Darla). We've got to find a good home for her. She's been through some shit but passed her physical at the vet and most importantly...heartworn negative!!!!

My lab-pit gets along great with her though. All details should be in the below thread, but feel free to PM with any questions.

Link to thread - Rescued Dutchie Needs Good Home

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:17:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DukeFan23] [#29]
Spent most of the day at the vet getting his teeth cleaned.  Decided to bring him in, from his outdoor kennel, for some couch time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:
Spent most of the day at the vet getting his teeth cleaned.  Decided to bring him in, from his outdoor kennel, for some couch time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/280357/1A926E03-A54F-463D-9F79-EECA7275E2A2_jpe-1417678.JPG
View Quote

Funny looking couch
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NCUrk:

Funny looking couch
View All Quotes
Spent most of the day at the vet getting his teeth cleaned.  Decided to bring him in, from his outdoor kennel, for some couch time.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/280357/1A926E03-A54F-463D-9F79-EECA7275E2A2_jpe-1417678.JPG

Funny looking couch

Couch, carpet.  That dumb dumb lives in a 5x10 kennel.  He doesn’t know the difference.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Couch, carpet.  That dumb dumb lives in a 5x10 kennel.  He doesn’t know the difference. 
View Quote

Good looking dumb dumb. Have had a few experiences with Maligators. Luckily all while 8n a suit, they hit hard and never give up. I love my GSD, but those Mals are IMHO, harder hitting... They also always find that gap in the suit at the elbow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Good looking dumb dumb. Have had a few experiences with Maligators. Luckily all while 8n a suit, they hit hard and never give up. I love my GSD, but those Mals are IMHO, harder hitting... They also always find that gap in the suit at the elbow.
View All Quotes

Couch, carpet.  That dumb dumb lives in a 5x10 kennel.  He doesn’t know the difference. 

Good looking dumb dumb. Have had a few experiences with Maligators. Luckily all while 8n a suit, they hit hard and never give up. I love my GSD, but those Mals are IMHO, harder hitting... They also always find that gap in the suit at the elbow.

I’ve taken some hard bitting GSD’s.  Feeling like your bones are being crushed.  Mal’s are different in the fact that have no regard for self preservation, launching from 5-8ft away.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Little man getting bigger.  And wants to go for a ride!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#35]
A boy and his dog.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Getting some more practice in stock work and barn hunt.  Got barn hunt trials and a herding symposium coming up at the beginning of July.  We're going for our open title in barn hunt and then move to senior level.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#37]
One tired pup...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Roxy, 16month old rescue we picked up yesterday.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pumbaajk] [#39]
A 5 year old and 8 year old taking turns walking a dog. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#40]
My family has had German Shepherds since I was born, My folks got a long hair right before I was born and I grew up with her for 16years. This is my current 130lb Rescue Sig, he had 4 family's before he came to us at 2 years old. He also know his commands Auf Deutsch and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

He loves winter and I take him with me doing chores arround the ranch.

Here we are getting water for our chickens during a blizzard

He also thinks he's a lap dog some days lol

Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
My family has had German Shepherds since I was born, My folks got a long hair right before I was born and I grew up with her for 16years. This is my current 130lb Rescue Sig, he had 4 family's before he came to us at 2 years old. He also know his commands Auf Deutsch and I couldn't ask for a better dog.

https://i.imgur.com/OQ7xjNs.jpg

He loves winter and I take him with me doing chores arround the ranch.
https://i.imgur.com/TKBXhIv.jpg

Here we are getting water for our chickens during a blizzard

https://i.imgur.com/COeYSCL.jpg

He also thinks he's a lap dog some days lol

https://i.imgur.com/e8hPyJi.jpg
View Quote

That's a big ass dog!
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#42]
My pup just went to bite training down in Austin.

I'll share pictures and videos as they come in. Can't wait to see what she can do!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#43]

That's a big ass dog!
View Quote

That he is, he is the old style German Shepherd with a straight back and he is built like a tank. People are always shocked when they see him for the first time lol
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#44]
SWMBO had a GSD that passed away at age 13 after we had been dating for about a year, what a great dog she was.

It's been a few years without a dog, but we finally put a down payment on a GSD pup from a local breeder that we met earlier this year. Can't wait to bring one home between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:

That he is, he is the old style German Shepherd with a straight back and he is built like a tank. People are always shocked when they see him for the first time lol
View Quote

My 50lb Mal hit me while I was working her on the flirt stick. Felt like I was hit by a car...I couldn't imagine a 130lb GS hitting you at full force.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DimaChado:
SWMBO had a GSD that passed away at age 13 after we had been dating for about a year, what a great dog she was.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459953/IMAG01521-1591322.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/459953/IMAG12431-1591323.jpg

It's been a few years without a dog, but we finally put a down payment on a GSD pup from a local breeder that we met earlier this year. Can't wait to bring one home between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
View Quote

Beautiful pup!
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#47]

My 50lb Mal hit me while I was working her on the flirt stick. Felt like I was hit by a car...I couldn't imagine a 130lb GS hitting you at full force.
View Quote

I've gotten down on all 4s and play wrestled with him a few times, he pushes my 250lbs arround like it's nothing. I had a electric company guy come into my back yard once without notice (we live in the country, and the back yard is chain link fenced for the dogs) not a huge deal as I happened to be home and saw him come up our driveway. I went out and chatted with him and told him to put a note to call me  in the future, because if I didn't see him and let my dogs out my GSD would not approve of him being in his yard. The electric guy didn't believe me when I said he's 130lbs of muscle. Well once the guy got back out to his truck and the gate was closed I let the dogs out and Sig hit our fence hard enough to bow it. They call now if they need to do any work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Motor05] [#48]
Frank, the old man, just turned 12 in June
Attachment Attached File

Lucy, waiting for me to play
Attachment Attached File

And the newest addition, Steve
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Just out of curiosity, when do you guys start playing fetch with your working line GSDs? The reason I ask is because I started reading some GSD forums and theres all kinds of seemingly....weird advice that is taken as gospel. Things such as "no stairs until a year" "avoid walks on concrete", "no fetch", and others. This is all hip/elbow precautionary measures.

Some make sense like no jumping off of high objects, but no fetch....and no walks on concrete?

I know theres a lot of show line and BYB dogs on there so I know some folks are dealing with messed up dogs, but I can't imagine 20 minutes of fetch on grass is going to cause damage to a structurally correct dog who has been bred to work.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
Just out of curiosity, when do you guys start playing fetch with your working line GSDs? The reason I ask is because I started reading some GSD forums and theres all kinds of seemingly....weird advice that is taken as gospel. Things such as "no stairs until a year" "avoid walks on concrete", "no fetch", and others. This is all hip/elbow precautionary measures.

Some make sense like no jumping off of high objects, but no fetch....and no walks on concrete?

I know theres a lot of show line and BYB dogs on there so I know some folks are dealing with messed up dogs, but I can't imagine 20 minutes of fetch on grass is going to cause damage to a structurally correct dog who has been bred to work.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I started the instant he developed an interest in chasing a ball. He desperately needed that outlet.
Page / 21
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top