Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2019 9:34:08 AM EDT
Anybody have one? What is your opinion on them? Thinking about picking one up.

If using this for a back-up during power outages can I plug my battery back-up/surge protectors that all my electronics are plugged into? What about my refrigerator? Will it damage a stand-up portable air conditioner?

Link

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Home owner grade stuff.  I can't speak specifically about that brand or model but every Home Depot or Lowes generator I've bought for construction took a shit or started gulping oil within a week of constant use.  I would go buy a Honda that is rated for a lot more juice than what you think you need and save yourself the hassle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I always stop and look at them at Home Depot.

But that little voice always tells me if I really need one, it should be Honda
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Firman 4550/3650 at Home Depot. Lowers the idle off load. Have not started it up yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran their inverter version for 5 months, 24/7.   It was awesome on fuel, 2 gallons a day (12hrs gallon).  Ran a lot of stuff like the fridge, tvs, computer, lights.

I had to change the oil weekly.

It was very quiet, easy to start, and the app lets you keep tabs on fuel levels and stuff.

Awesome equipment

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Bluetooth-2-300-Starting-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-RYI2300BTA/300347426?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD28I%7C28-7_GENERATORS%7CNA%7CLIA%7CFixed%7C71700000048375648%7C58700004809419063%7C92700041228981442&gclid=CjwKCAjwyqTqBRAyEiwA8K_4O15UU0vQjS36fcjib5w6VCZFRibrUITKPeBYbnr9RnrTmJuVIvlYrxoCCBsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ryobi is shit equipment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Im glad I spent the extra $$$ for one.(Honda EU3000is). Quiet as a mouse, as far as gennys go. I still have my old Troybilt as backup / loaner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s ok for what it is.  As a whole home backup, just no.  Some of the Champion and Generac are pretty good for the price.  Get a manual transfer switch and decide what’s important, or spend a bit more and just get a standby
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Im glad I spent the extra $$$ for one.(Honda EU3000is). Quiet as a mouse, as far as gennys go. I still have my old Troybilt as backup / loaner.
https://i.imgur.com/Xba6S1d.jpg
View Quote
I inherited an older one of those from my grandfather when he passed away.  Works good but i think need a tune up. I definitely need to find a wheel kit for it like that, it's damn heavy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ryobi is shit equipment.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a dual fuel.

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]
For household use, buy something with a low THD rating.

Clean power is your friend
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For household use, buy something with a low THD rating.

Clean power is your friend
View Quote
Link dumps us at google UK.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ryobi is shit equipment.
View Quote
I was just looking at their pressure washers at HD a couple weeks ago.  They sell several different Ryobi pressure washers.  Several of them are powered by Honda engines.  I think mostly you get what you pay for.  Ryobi sells some cheap stuff, but they also sell some pretty decent stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
It's better than not having one.

I'm not sure about the Ryobi branded engine though.  I'd prefer a B&S.  According to specs it's got some reserve; you'll need the overhead to start things with motors or compressors- fridges, window AC; whatever.

It's gonna be noisy and use gas.  Unless you bump up to an inverter or something with a good eco-throttle, have 20 gal. or so on hand.  Also some spare oil to top it off between fills.

If you want to fo before hurricane and winter storm season go ahead.  Plan your loads, get your extension cords or have your house hookup installed now.  Then optest live for an hour or two, then a day.  You'll get an understanding of noise, fuel consumption and just what you need vs. what you want.  Break in is pretty important, so have a way to drain and refill the oil before you start the thing.

I like the folding handle, but I'd replace the hard tires with some poofy pneumatic ones, esp. if you have to wheel the thing from a shed to your hookup point.  Probably just a cotter pin and some washers to do the deed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link dumps us at google UK.
View Quote
That's weird, it works for me.

http://powerupgenerator.com/total-harmonic-distortion-portable-generators/
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Generac
Firman
Ryobi
Champion
Most any name you can think of are all
Powered by Honda clone engines.

I have several Honda clone engines
I like them, all the Honda without all the price
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
This is one of those things where I think the inverter ones are affordable enough now that they are the way to go.  Option to run on propane is also very good for a suburb owner that might only need the thing once or twice a year, or it could just as well sit for 3 years without being touched.

Quiet and reliable with clean power to drive just the essentials and electronics when you really need it.

I have a small yamaha clone inverter that can run off propane or gas.  Not a lot of watts but enough to get me lights and charging and run the sump or fridge in rotation - sump being the main reason I bought it.

Decided to go with a pair of 2000 watts ones with a parallel kit vs. a single 4000 watt inverter.  See arguments for both but the 2000 ones were very cheap and in the end that settled the decision for me.

Honda is the buy once cry once but you pay for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ryobi is shit equipment.
View Quote
Pretty much been my experience.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Bluetooth-2-300-Starting-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-RYI2300BTA/300347426

It was fine once I got it started. I thought it was a break in issue but after 10 hours it was still a 10 to 12 pull starter.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ryobi is shit equipment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Ryobi tends to be overpriced, for what you get.

Best balance between price, build quality and customer support is Champion Power Equipment.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the small inverter one going on 5 years. It's been great. I use it for the hunting trailer. Nice and quiet, with just enough power, and is small and light so it's easy to store and move around.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I owned my last Honda for over twenty years.  I sold it just because it was 20 years old.  When I was building, we use to run the crap out of Hondas and honestly didn't give them the best care.  When SHTF happens, I want something that's going to work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I'll just go with Honda.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Over a year ago, a HF manager told me they were coming out with new inverters. They didn’t.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one of those.  I bought it at Costco for $550.  Works awesome and is on the quiet side as far as generators go.  I have only ran it on propane to keep things clean but have gasoline on hand for emergencies.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:00:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Bluetooth-2-300-Starting-Watt-Super-Quiet-Gasoline-Powered-Digital-Inverter-Generator-RYI2300BTA/300347426

It was fine once I got it started. I thought it was a break in issue but after 10 hours it was still a 10 to 12 pull starter.
View Quote
As much as I'm a sucker for flashy lights & un-needed technology, It being bluetooth controllable doesn't seem like a $200 upgrade from the $450 (w/ coupon) HF Honda 2000 clone, and no a really good reason to not spend the extra $100 to get the HF Honda 3500 clone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#30]
It’s been many years since companies figured out that you can bolt any garbage to a Honda engine and customers will usually assume it’s all the same quality.

Do your homework if you care about what you’re getting.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had that Champion for about eight years now and it's been great.

It will run my two fridges, my chest freezer, computer, chargers, and several fans.

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Miller or Lincoln for the win.
https://store.cyberweld.com/mibo250we90.html
https://weldingmart.com/ranger-225-kohler-k2857-1-lincoln-eagle-10000
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Miller or Lincoln for the win.
https://store.cyberweld.com/mibo250we90.html
https://weldingmart.com/ranger-225-kohler-k2857-1-lincoln-eagle-10000
View Quote
Way more noise, weight and and fuel consumption than most folks really need.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Way more noise, weight and and fuel consumption than most folks really need.
View Quote
But it won't sit in the garage and not start when you need it most. It will get more use than just a generator. Just pick it up with your Kubota and set it in the bed of your Tundra.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
That voice is smart

I worked at a Home Depot rental/repair center. We rented Honda generators, and they went forever without regard to abuse or maintenance.

I wouldn't touch anything Ryobi that was gas powered with a 10 foot pole. They are utter shit, mystery Chinese factory leftover parts mushed together, so badly designed they don't even make spare parts for them. They are disposable and built with numerous "designed to fail" points that often fail far quicker than intended.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was just looking at their pressure washers at HD a couple weeks ago.  They sell several different Ryobi pressure washers.  Several of them are powered by Honda engines.  I think mostly you get what you pay for.  Ryobi sells some cheap stuff, but they also sell some pretty decent stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ryobi is shit equipment.
No, they don't. Their pressure washers are a joke of crap mis-cast parts inside. The Honda motor might last but the rest will quickly fuck itself up.

There is not a single gas-powered item Ryobi sells at Home Depot that I haven't had to (try to) fix, and not one of those items was worth half what it cost.

Their electric stuff is fine for occasional use in low-abuse environments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top