Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2021 7:12:46 PM EDT

Recently, purchased a bottle of Knob Creek double oak Rye just because and It definitely peeked my interest. I’m assuming that KC would be considered a entry level Rye.

I do not dilute ANY spirits, neat only.

I’d appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
For some reason, I started drinking rye during the pandemic.

Neat is the way to go.

Woodford Reserve makes a good rye.

Bulleit rye 95 is also good.  95% rye in the mashbill.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
@justsayin is a rye fan, I’m sure he can offer several suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
My current top 2 favorites are Willett 4yr and Pikesville.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
As shown above.   Angel Envy, Michters, Sagamore, Sazerac and anything Whistle Pig.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Jack Daniels makes a good Rye. It's hard to find though
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You might consider Peerless Rye.  A real favorite with my rye drinking friends.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the suggestions, In the original post should have had added the “spice” is what hooked me.....

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as reasonably priced bottles go

1) WhistlePig 6yr Piggyback
2) Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond
3) Bulleit Rye

Mid Tier
1) Alberta Premium Cask Strength
2) Michter's Barrel Strength

Expensive
1) WhistlePig 15yr

Personally, I dislike the "barely Rye" ryes like the Willet 4yr I have or the Woodford "rye". Those seem like bourbon with a hint of the good rye spice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tastes vary, I usually lean towards sweeter ryes.

Angels envy, willet 3 year, pretty much anything finished in a rum cask, are great examples.
If you like spicier, michters, knob creek cask strength, midwinter nights dram, or any of the high west offerings.

If you're just starting rye, strongly suggest old Forester and bulleit.
Of is a great all purpose, 100 proof middle ground rye, at an impressive price point (around $24 here).
Bulleit is a spicier entry level, decent price.
Never been a fan of whistlepig 10, but their "piggyback" 6 is a pretty good rounded rye, imo. Haven't had the 22 or 15 but I hear they're quite good.
I'm really a fan of knob creek cask strength if you can find some, drinks like a much lower proof, be careful.
View Quote

I agree with all of this and lean towards the spicier ryes. I really like the Knob Creek and my first KC was the barrel proof, which is amazing. I bought it by accident and didn't realize it was the barrel proof (127). It was HOT! Then I got used to it and miss it.
My only contention is that I hate the Piggyback. There is a flavor in there that I just can't stand.
I will also add that I like the Wild Turkey rye's. Aside from being a great rye, it make an amazing Manhattan, it's hard to find around here though.
My go-to is the KC followed by Rittenhouse.
Tin Cup isn't too bad either. I like the TC and Bulleit due to price and availability of the larger 1.75L bottles (for Mahattans and such when I don't want to use the "better" ryes that I'd rather sip on)
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Oh I should’ve added Basil Hayden Dark Rye and High West Double Rye.

I really was hopefully for woodford rye and Willet 4 yr but they taste less rye like and more bourbony.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oh I should’ve added Basil Hayden Dark Rye and High West Double Rye.

I really was hopefully for woodford rye and Willet 4 yr but they taste less rye like and more bourbony.
View Quote

I came across Basil Hayden yesterday, had it in my hands and put it back. I also saw Jefferson straight Rye. I left the store empty handed tho.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My current top 2 favorites are Willett 4yr and Pikesville.
View Quote

This is where I’m at, too.

I’ll add a warning, the Rabbit Hole Rye was gawd awful IMHO.  Tasted like grass clippings.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are my recommendations:

Balcones (good for cocktails, didn't care for it straight)
Redemption
Bulleit
Thumb Butte Rodeo
George Dickel
Templeton
Copper Pony
Knob Creek
Woodford
High West
Alberta Dark Batch
Oregon Spirits
Kindred
Leadslingers Fighting Spirit
AZ Distilling Park
Longhorn
Whistlepig 10
Darby's Reserve
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Picked up a bottle of Jefferson’s straight Rye. It is Aged in Cognac barrels and I’m a huge fan of Cognac so it seemed like a good plan. Lots of spice/heat yet, smooth. Hayden 10 year is next on my list ...
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Piggyback is The Shit, capital T, capital S. My favorite rye. Rittenhouse BiB is good, Bulleit is a great entry level rye.

for high rye bourbons, Redemption high rye barrel select is a fantastic MGP product. very good rye bite to the bourbon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Piggyback is The Shit, capital T, capital S. My favorite rye. Rittenhouse BiB is good, Bulleit is a great entry level rye.

for high rye bourbons, Redemption high rye barrel select is a fantastic MGP product. very good rye bite to the bourbon.
View Quote

I can’t comprehend how WhistlePig’s second best product in the standard line is their cheapest. The 15yr beats it but too expensive to buy regularly for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I can’t comprehend how WhistlePig’s second best product in the standard line is their cheapest. The 15yr beats it but too expensive to buy regularly for me.
View Quote

and their 10yr is not good at all. Haven't had the 12 or 15 or any of the others.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

and their 10yr is not good at all. Haven't had the 12 or 15 or any of the others.
View Quote

10 and 12 year are both not good. Not worth the dollars at all. 6yr, 15yr and boss hog? Awesome
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw Jefferson’s Rye finished in cognac casks….anyone try that yet? $56….
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just purchased it. Very smooth, if you like Cognac/Rye it smells and tastes like both.  I got whacked $70.00 bucks plus tax here in NJ.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just purchased it. Very smooth, if you like Cognac/Rye it smells and tastes like both.  I got whacked $70.00 bucks plus tax here in NJ.
View Quote

Sounds like the plan for tomorrow evening
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you say it's a barely legal Rye? Or is it a strong rye flavour? I love rye and Cognac both but hesitant as I know Jefferson primarily does bourbon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Would you say it's a barely legal Rye? Or is it a strong rye flavour? I love rye and Cognac both but hesitant as I know Jefferson primarily does bourbon.
View Quote
It's sourced. They're kind of vague about it but where does like 90% of sourced rye come from?  

If I were a betting man I'd say if you've liked other MGP releases you'll like this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
My only gripe with MGP is that brands give you the impression they are distilling when they are only blending or ageing. That being said, Bulliet and Smoke Wagon are fine examples of MGP sourced product. What ryes are MGP?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I took to Templeton during the shut down.
I don't normally care for bulleit bourbon but gave the rye a shot when I couldn't find Templeton. I've had a few bottles since.
I have not been able to find Old Forester rye.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My only gripe with MGP is that brands give you the impression they are distilling when they are only blending or ageing. That being said, Bulliet and Smoke Wagon are fine examples of MGP sourced product. What ryes are MGP?
View Quote

Redemption IIRC, I love their High rye barrel select bourbon
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's sourced. They're kind of vague about it but where does like 90% of sourced rye come from?  

If I were a betting man I'd say if you've liked other MGP releases you'll like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, it's just difficult. I suppose I'll wait to read more reviews. It takes a lot of effort to get a bottle of rye here so I don't want to waste time on something that is going to end up like woodford's "rye" and basically just be bourbon. Alberta Distillery makes best rye currently.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure. Although I like it, probably would not buy it again..
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:58:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I mean, it's just difficult. I suppose I'll wait to read more reviews. It takes a lot of effort to get a bottle of rye here so I don't want to waste time on something that is going to end up like woodford's "rye" and basically just be bourbon. Alberta Distillery makes best rye currently.
View Quote
Ha, funny you say that. Jefferson's 10 year old rye release was from Alberta. However, for this one they're specifically saying American rye so it's probably not from Alberta again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ha, funny you say that. Jefferson's 10 year old rye release was from Alberta. However, for this one they're specifically saying American rye so it's probably not from Alberta again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canada is part of America

But yeah, I know what you mean. I just had some of my Boss Hog VI last night and damn it's so good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sounds like the plan for tomorrow evening
View Quote

So I went out and bought the Jefferson’s Rye cognac finish and after sampling, I am on the fence.

Almost overpowering mint on the palette which is odd, with ice the mint is muted and I get more of a sweet nutty flavor with some grape tannins.

On a whim I picked up knob creek single barrel select and liked that a lot, heavy smack you around cinnamon burn with some licorice…very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So I went out and bought the Jefferson’s Rye cognac finish and after sampling, I am on the fence.

Almost overpowering mint on the palette which is odd, with ice the mint is muted and I get more of a sweet nutty flavor with some grape tannins.

On a whim I picked up knob creek single barrel select and liked that a lot, heavy smack you around cinnamon burn with some licorice…very enjoyable.
View Quote

It is on the sweet side, as I mentioned previously I wouldn’t buy the Jefferson Rye again. Knob Creek Rye on the other hand is a different story..
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20210513_185937-1941401.jpg

This is definitely a rye.

Heavy spice, drinks hot for even 112.
Hopefully it will open up a bit from the neck pour after a week or so.

I like it, but would rather have several of the KC cask strength rye for the price, on first impressions.

Definitely not a sweeter rye.
View Quote

Damn! that stuff was SO available in Maryland before I left, but never got around to trying it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Looking forward to trying Templeton's new Rye now that they are distilling it themselves.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked up a bottle of Sagamore Cask Strength Rye recently. It is sourced from MGP (surprise) and Im really liking it. It's pretty easy to find around here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Redemption Rye
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Grabbed a bottle of Old Overholt 86 proof last week. It's pretty okay, I wish they still did the 100 proof bottled in bond but those seem to be gone now, at least over here.

I would definitely use this as a well rye for an old fashioned.

Next up is probably going to be Sagamore, just to give it a try, then I'm switching focus to Cognac for a little while.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I enjoy dickle rye. Like charred marshmallows and spice.

Like a bunch of others, but that is an interesting cheap buy that is tasty.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I came across Basil Hayden yesterday, had it in my hands and put it back. I also saw Jefferson straight Rye. I left the store empty handed tho.
View Quote

BH Dark Rye is what I like for Manhattans.  Sam's Club just had it for $26/bottle.  Wife came home with 3 bottles!  
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I just grabbed a bottle of Elijah Craig Rye because it was cheap. I know it's a barely legal rye but maybe it'll be less on the woodford side of sweet and maybe closer to rittenhouse.

EDIT: I tried the EC Rye, and it's not bad at all. Definitely not as hot as I like but still decent. It was light years ahead of Woodford Rye and maybe equal to Rittenhouse. For $22/bottle definitely good.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:36:26 AM EDT
[#46]
In Hawaii for a few weeks. Lots of good rye options here.

Decided to try Tenpleton’s new 6yr bottling. Also grabbed Canadian Club 100% rye because I like to also try out bottle shelf ryes.

Pretty sure I’ll be bringing 10+ bottles to Japan with me with rye and mezcal and tequila added up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I did a 12 sample blind sample bracket for my local whisky club.  Top 4

1. Jack Daniels barrel proof rye (special release)
2. Templeton barrel strength rye
3. Wilderness Trail sib
4. Whistlepig store pick (older pick, 13yr mgp)

The worst of them were an Obtanium Polish Rye, Pikesville, and a newer canadian Whistlepig store pick.

You cannot go wrong with Russell’s reserve rye , wilderness trail (very impressive for 4 year rye), and older Mgp rye.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Enjoying some Pikesville and Pendleton 1910 this past week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top