Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Posted: 11/3/2018 8:04:11 PM EDT
Stopped by my sisters house to visit after a few hours I turned on the tv And logged into my netflix and shit was buffering a lot

I asked who she had for internet and why it’s so bad.

She said there are no options out there

This is what she has

Did a little research and found an ATT reseller that has no throttling and unlimited data for 60 bucks.    I was bored so I ran to the att store and bought a sim and pulled out an old mifi from my car and ordered the reseller service

Gonna post results after the weekend in case this can help anyone else out there

Old (current) Internet
7mps with trees in the way of line of sight.  she doesn’t get that because of the damn trees she says

New service (att reseller with no slow down after a certain limit ..   so they say I’m about to find out this weekend )
Old att mifi gets 35mb :-)
So far no more buffering

My BIL is overwhelmed with joy as he had given up on good internet service at his house with horses and cows .

They are currently bing watching Netflix and it has not buffered once

So I know the bandwidth is there.    Let’s see what happens on Monday after weekend full of streaming

Crossing my fingers this service works out

I know you can use your regular data as a hotspot.  The point of this thread is this company says no slow downs and no de-
Prioritized data After XX gbs of data

I’m excited

Update :
After weekend update :

Called my sister had her do a speed test

Results 35 down 15up

Walked her thru checking useage on the mifi

Lol. Guess they did nothing but watch tv all weekend

115gbs and no slow down so far

Kinda impressed
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

I need a computer nerd like you to come to my house.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag.

View Quote
No shit! I have no idea what he is talking about,,but i know here in rural ohio, we need it!

What company?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Where can I find info on those resellers? I am stuck with satellite internet our here in the country too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where can I find info on those resellers? I am stuck with satellite internet our here in the country too.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm eagerly awaiting SpaceX getting their LEO internet constellation up
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm just glad we can get the dish to tower setups in my area. 15mbps works for me 90% of the time
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
We live in the country and use ATT cell.   We get by just fine.   I have an iPad from work that has an unlimited hotspot, cell phone unlimted service and a Nighthawk wifi hotspot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#8]
WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE COMPANY!?  I NEED THIS!

ETA: Also, what budget minded mifi device would you recommend?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s otrmobile.com

They use ATT towers
So your experience will depend on att service In Your area

Like I said. The bandwidth is therefor me right now

That should be a given nowadays.

I’m looking to see what happens after I reach a certain limit of data.   So far we have used 16gb in one day.   lol

Thier chat said thier users can use 300 gb or more and throttling doesn’t effect them ( hearing that. I’m not ashamed to admit it moved a little when I heard that. )

If thats true that is beyond awesome.

But I cant confirm that yet.  ( wotking on it )
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a smart phone with a good data plan and then use a 3rd party program to turn it into a wifi hotspot. I do that when I am out of town or when my local internet goes down.

edit:OTRMobile looks like a decent setup but I wonder how long before they have throttling/bandwidth caps etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Verizon unlimited here. Just use hotspot for my laptop and stream with my tablet.

Netflix,etc plays just fine
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a smart phone with a good data plan and then use a 3rd party program to turn it into a wifi hotspot. I do that when I am out of town or when my local internet goes down.

edit:OTRMobile looks like a decent setup but I wonder how long before they have throttling/bandwidth caps etc.
View Quote
I do that.   But everyone’s FUP fair use policy slows you down after a pre determined amount of data

Verizon slows you down on unlimited (  shut up grandfathered plan master race ).  After 22 gb

Att normal plans.    Slow you down after 22gb

T-Mobile after 22gb. Or 50gb depending how you hide your data traffic

The reaso. For this post is this reseller says no Slowdowns.    That’s what I’m trying to verify
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Verizon unlimited here. Just use hotspot for my laptop and stream with my tablet.

View Quote
This is going to be a home Internet replacement

Not any every once in a while use.

I will follow up on Monday to report if it’s still good or if  I was lied to.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
What do people do who only get service with Verizon at their house? AT&T gets no coverage at my place.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What do people do who only get service with Verizon at their house? AT&T gets no coverage at my place.
View Quote
Someone else is gonna have to answer that one

I see unlimited grandfathered verzion plans on eBay but they ain’t cheap.  Depends how bad you want it really

But I hear Verizon is cracking down on those if you go over 300gb  now
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Where in TX?   I have family in rural Central TX and internet sucks.   I've used a weboost and hotspot from my ATT phone and that was decent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Dumb question, but the devices they sell mention battery life of 10 hours or so with a charger included. Can you not leave the wifi device plugged in to negate the worry of battery running down?

Is the connection always up? As in, I don’t have to reconnect multiple times a day?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It’s otrmobile.com

They use ATT towers
So your experience will depend on att service In Your area

Like I said. The bandwidth is therefor me right now

That should be a given nowadays.

I’m looking to see what happens after I reach a certain limit of data.   So far we have used 16gb in one day.   lol

Thier chat said thier users can use 300 gb or more and throttling doesn’t effect them ( hearing that. I’m not ashamed to admit it moved a little when I heard that. )

If thats true that is beyond awesome.

But I cant confirm that yet.  ( wotking on it )
View Quote
Do you know if you have go back to OTR and buy a new plan every 30 days – or can you you set up an automatic renewal?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Was going to post yesterday about a different company promising the same thing (no throttling after so many GB's of data).  Thought it might be a scam as it is a very new company.  After looking around there is a couple out there with wide price differences depending on which carrier.  If it is true, it is a game changer for rural users that want to stream TV and movies and have decent cell service.

I was thinking of trying blazinghog.com but this company is cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in rural KY on a 800 acre farm and I just made the jump from 7mbs dsl to gig fiber.  Have fun peasants.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I use 4gas which for my plan uses TMobile towers. I have a yagi antennae outside on my deck that points towards the nearest cell tower. I get about 20mbps on average download. They say after 50gb they throttle you at peak times of use. Im not sure I've ever been throttled. I can watch Netflix, Hulu, etc no problem while surfing the web. I can sometimes even play online games but the connection must be the only one in my house active. Pubg works most of the time on Xbox.

They say that it's unlimited for "normal use" which means about 200gb. I can tell you I go WAY over that. Probably on the 800gb range monthly if not more.

The company is 4g antennae shop. It's 88 a month. It's pretty damn good when cable isn't an option. They seem like solid people and it's based out of Florida. Customer service and IT support rocks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dumb question, but the devices they sell mention battery life of 10 hours or so with a charger included. Can you not leave the wifi device plugged in to negate the worry of battery running down?

Is the connection always up? As in, I don’t have to reconnect multiple times a day?
View Quote
Leave it hooked up to the charger

What happens after 24 hrs ? Don’t know.  I will report back on that
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Do you know if you have go back to OTR and buy a new plan every 30 days – or can you you set up an automatic renewal?
View Quote
Haven’t logged into the account. Don’t know if auto pay is an option

I ordered and the sim was live 27 min later

Chat did say it’s every 30 days.  Not every “month”. They were clear in me knowing that
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use 4gas which for my plan uses TMobile towers. I have a yagi antennae outside on my deck that points towards the nearest cell tower. I get about 20mbps on average download. They say after 50gb they throttle you at peak times of use. Im not sure I've ever been throttled. I can watch Netflix, Hulu, etc no problem while surfing the web. I can sometimes even play online games but the connection must be the only one in my house active. Pubg works most of the time on Xbox.

They say that it's unlimited for "normal use" which means about 200gb. I can tell you I go WAY over that. Probably on the 800gb range monthly if not more.

The company is 4g antennae shop. It's 88 a month. It's pretty damn good when cable isn't an option. They seem like solid people and it's based out of Florida. Customer service and IT support rocks.
View Quote
Just showed this post to my sister and BIL

They still have that “I have useable internet “grin on their faces

I hope this works out like yours is working for ya
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
4GAS isn't selling plans anymore.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where in TX?   I have family in rural Central TX and internet sucks.   I've used a weboost and hotspot from my ATT phone and that was decent.
View Quote
Ponder

Just outside Denton

Close enough to see the glow of Denton at night    Far enough that no internet service is out here

I talked to some people at the gas station about 20 min ago.

They seem happy with thier setups   I guess the trees in the line of sight just mess it up for my BIL and sister.

Or they are lying

No one wants to admit they pay for a shitty service    lol
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I live in rural KY on a 800 acre farm and I just made the jump from 7mbs dsl to gig fiber.  Have fun peasants.  
View Quote
I JUST prayed to the  Lord  that a wild North American backhoe finds your fiber optic line soon

Lol !!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would still keep looking for an alternative and keep it in mind if you need it. Several ATT data plan resellers have come and gone in the last few years. I think they're playing games with ATT's rules and ATT eventually shuts them down (not talking about this company as I have no idea about them but in general).
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I use the Verizon jet pack for my rural internet. DSL was so bad where I’m at that it didn’t work more than it did. When it worked, you were lucky to get 0.6mbps.

The Verizon jet pack works good while you’re in your 22gb cap. After that it drops to 600kbps which can be painful. 22gb lasts my daughter about 2 days on average. Then it is suck city the rest of the month. I have the same plan on my phone with it’s own 22gb plan so I tether in to it and nurse the fast speed along for a good portion of the month.

Another issue with the jet pack is you can’t share it’s internet connection with your router. So if you have devices that don’t connect wirelessly, you’re fucked. I have this issue with my surveillance cameras NVR’s which sucks.

I know Hughes net gen 4 sucked donkey dick. They have a new version but I doubt it’s much better. The same data cap applies as the jet pack anyway. I recall it had horrible latency issues and would take a few seconds before it processed your query.

The G5 cell network is supposed to have about a 100x the bandwidth of 4g, so we may see some options open up. The problem with 5G is the area each tower covers is smaller than 4G. So if you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, chances are slim the tech will trickle down to us any time soon.

No one wants to invest in infrastructure since they all worry that someone will roll out a system that doesn’t need he hardware like fiber optic lines to maintain. Low earth orbit satellites and all that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#30]
I went from no internet to using an attt data reseller and it worked great.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I went from no internet to using an attt data reseller and it worked great.
View Quote
How long you been with them and what’s your avg data for the month?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#32]
West TN is getting fiber from electrical CO-OP. Rural broadband grant/project. Have fiber on my pole waiting for boring crew to run and install ONT. Same price as crappy 100/MB’s
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
West TN is getting fiber from electrical CO-OP. Rural broadband grant/project. Have fiber on my pole waiting for boring crew to run and install ONT. Same price as crappy 100/MB’s
View Quote
You're in the wrong thread with the wrong people to be bitching about 100MB internet service and calling it "crappy".
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Why did that ISP mount a Ubiquiti NanoStation backwards pointing into a dish?

I'm so confused.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Windstream dsl if available.  Verizon fushion but it's capped at 30 gb so it's just for surfing and light gaming.  Or use your hotspot from mobile, which is free on most Android devices but cost you extra on gay ass iPhones.  Satellite net is normally okay for movies but pings are 250-500 so it's essentially worthless for gaming.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why did that ISP mount a Ubiquiti NanoStation backwards pointing into a dish?

I'm so confused.
View Quote
Reflector dish for higher gain.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Tag
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I also use 4GAS with the TMobile SIM, I can get an AT&T if needed. I too have never been throttled and I know I go well past the allotment. I can watch Netflix, Prime, or DirecTV Now with no problem 98% of the time. That 2% it is an issue it because its around peak time for any internet provider and a quick reboot solves it.

Two streaming TVs are fine. GREAT option for those like us.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tag.

View Quote
Paying close attention.
My sat connection sux.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m in a similar position. I use a TMobile plan that allows unlimited streaming of certain video services (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Video, etc), but I only get 18GB of other data for $75/mo. I’ve been looking for another option because TMobile customer service is awful and it honestly sucks only having 18GB of data. I also have my phone set up as a hotspot on an old unlimited data plan through Verizon but I try not to abuse it since I really don’t want to get one of those letters saying my plan has been cancelled.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Why you still paying Netflix?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Verizon here.
Not a single tower within nuclear blast some reach.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I JUST prayed to the  Lord  that a wild North American backhoe finds your fiber optic line soon

Lol !!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol !!
The fiber is up on the pole right under the telephone line.  Don't need a backhoe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on 4gas right now... What do you mean? The website still has purchase plans available.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why you still paying Netflix?
View Quote
What’s a better option when your provider doesn’t count Netflix toward your 18GB data limit?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You're in the wrong thread with the wrong people to be bitching about 100MB internet service and calling it "crappy".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No shit. He needs burned at the stake.. heretic.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#48]
We have Windstream and they sux.

What type of device are you using as a hot spot?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm on 4gas right now... What do you mean? The website still has purchase plans available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few days ago it said they weren't selling any new plans.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I really should have looked into the ISPs available before buying my house. I have a purpose built $1500~ gaming PC that's been just sitting for the last year due to no good internet sources available. Sad times.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top