Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2021 1:39:51 PM EDT
So I've started getting serious with my 5k training. My current goal is sub 23 minutes, and right now I'm in the 25's. However now that I'm micromanaging the runs more, I'm noticing big discrepancies in the GPS. I have a perfect 5k loop down, yet today for example I reached the end and was a whole third of a mile short!

I'm using my Apple Watch (latest Series 6 with cellular) and the standard Apple Workout app. I searched some setting options online and have all the recommended options on. Is this normal for you Apple Watch users or is something wrong?
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noted that on my MotoGPower phone. It's a 2021 model, and I'm off 1/8 mile high  every 2 miles
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
What is its update/sample rate?

Does it measure distance using GPS or some accelerometer/stride rate/stride length calculation?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Garmin isn't any better.

I have had the Tactix Bravo and now Charlie. I jogwalk the same fucking loop. Maybe a foot or two off if I hug the curves instead of staying in the middle. It varies from 1.02 to .90 mile every.single.time.

This is even with using both GPS/GLONASS, 1 second updating, all the other stuff that kills the battery but improves GPS recording.

It's a ball pain, and I was starting to consider something else (for some other reasons), but kind of looks like it's brand agnostic.

One thing I am learning about, and may work for you, is if you're doing the same 'path' (for lack of common terminology), perhaps there is a way to pre-'program' the 'path'. Then, you tell the watch you're doing that 'path' (I think Garmin-speak is 'course'). (shrugs)

You'd think with all the skinny, exercising nerds, this would all be cutting edge, but no. It's as shitty as public safety and mil applications.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had complaints about my Apple devices on my rucks

The xs was known to have gps issues, I bought a 12 seems to have increased my miles and is more consistent

I will also say just in changing the material on my clothes and which pocket the phone is in alters mileage
View Quote
Some systems use 'pure' GPS, taking positioning from the constellation.

Many systems attempt to reduce the circular error probability by looking at cell towers and wifi signals. That actually does help in this use case, but, making sure the phone can receive well can be a ball pain when you are wearing shorts and a shirt with no pockets lol

The trail I use has about 60% canopy. Watch and phone don't have much to work with, and my paths show it lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top