Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2023 10:17:57 AM EDT
I am not a mega runner by any means, usually 1-3 miles, 2-3 times a week.

Been using a HPG snubby kit bag for a few years now. It's always been more overt than I care for, and recently for reasons I'm not sure of, I feel encumbered by it.

Would need/like to carry G26, wallet, phone and keys.

Curious about the Galco belly band, and also the Crossbreed with the integral kydex holster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Galco makes a good belly band.  For running, you should get a size smaller than you think you need.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I run about 70 miles a month and bike 250+
HPG snubby is what I use and I dislike for the resones you stated but it is still the best thing I have found over all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hill people gear chest pack is awesome but seems like overkill for shorter runs.  I use a flip belt for most city running.  It will hold an LCP easily, but you need a snug one.

flipbelt.com  

ETA I don't think a g26 would work well in one.   Maybe a decent Fanny pack?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hill people gear chest pack is awesome but seems like overkill for shorter runs.  I use a flip belt for most city running.  It will hold an LCP easily, but you need a snug one.

flipbelt.com  

View Quote

I've been trying to get my unhealthy ass back on the move. I have honestly been considering a fanny pack to carry.  Everything else seems to suck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've been trying to get my unhealthy ass back on the move. I have honestly been considering a fanny pack to carry.  Everything else seems to suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

flipbelt.com  

I've got the older version of this (vapor something waist/Fanny back ). It goes under shirt when not packed too full. I've put my G43 in there and it does ok. But you have to really crank the thing down to keep weight from bouncing all over if you are moving fast. Makes quick access difficult.  But it doesn't scream gun like the chest packs.  But that may not be a huge concern.  

If you want to carry something more than 12 oz AND want fast access AND occasionally run at a decent clip a chest pack is about the only option I've found that works.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve not found anything that is workable for more than a few miles.  I really wanted the HPG runners kit bag to be the answer, but it isn’t; t least for me.  I always end up going back to just carrying my little iPod in my pocket and nothing else.  

I figure that the health benefits of running are greater than the potential of me needing a gun while I’m running, at least in my particular situation.  My funeral, probably.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I never worry about needing a gun when I’m out jogging.  Eithe rruning trail or residential areas.  I don’t recall ever being in a situation where I thought ‘man I wish I had a firearm.’
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You might try https://www.undertechundercover.com/
I used these for a while and it did fine with a G30. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with carrying while you're running, though. I've run over 20,000 miles in the last 8 years and the worst thing that has happened to me has been women yelling at me how they like my short shorts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never worry about needing a gun when I’m out jogging.  Eithe rruning trail or residential areas.  I don’t recall ever being in a situation where I thought ‘man I wish I had a firearm.’
View Quote

Right up until you ARE in one of those situations.  What's that old cliche?  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You probably drive without auto insurance too with that mindset.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Right up until you ARE in one of those situations.  What's that old cliche?  I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it?
View Quote

Sure.  You do realize how dumb these discussions are though, don’t you?  There are so many non-gun related risks out there that vigilant gun sheepdogs just willingly ignore as long they can assert their 100% gun-carrying record to everyone who didn’t ask.  

I carry a gun most of the time, but not all of the time.  There are places/times where it’s either not possible, or it’s just more hassle than I deem it to be worth.  I don’t carry a gun when I’m sleeping, I don’t carry a gun in the shower.  I don’t carry a gun on an airplane, unless it’s my own.  I don’t carry a gun when swimming.  I don’t carry a gun inside my own home.  I don’t carry a gun at shooting matches, aside from USPSA where I’d have a competition pistol in a competition holster.  I don’t carry a gun when traveling outside of the USA.  There is a low, but greater than zero chance that I could need a gun in any of those situations, but I accept the risk. Presumably you either do carry in all of them or avoid them entirely.  I also don’t carry a gun while running.  

I live my life on a sort of risk/reward matrix, where I evaluate the risk of any given situation based on the location, time, people involved, etc, and then make a decision and accept the consequences.  So far this system has a 100% success rate.  I’ve been running in my area since early 2008, and aside from twice being chased by small/medium dogs (which I would not have considered shooting), I have never had any sort of trouble whatsoever.  I am much more likely to be hit by a car, suffer a heart attack, break an ankle, or be swarmed by bees than I am to find myself in any situation where a gun would be useful while running.  Your risk of those things is also presumably much higher than your risk of a violent encounter while running, so based on your low tolerance for risk, I’d guess that you avoid running altogether.  If you do carry while running, please describe your carry setup, and also how many miles you run and your typical pace so we can have a better understanding of how it works.  The last time I got into this type of discussion here, it turned out that the guy who wanted to argue the “100% carry” idea didn’t actually run at all, just occasionally walked less than 2 miles.  

But seriously, why would you possibly care where or when I carry?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You probably drive without auto insurance too with that mindset.
View Quote

How are the two even related?  Auto insurance protects you financially in the event of an accident, but does nothing to protect you from the physical harm, or even death, that often results from a car accident.  You carry a gun everywhere to protect yourself physically, do you wear a helmet while driving for the same reason?  Why not?  Why are you driving a car at all?  Statistically, it is far more likely that you will be injured or killed in a vehicle related incident than anything that you could have prevented by carrying a gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure.  You do realize how dumb these discussions are though, don’t you?  There are so many non-gun related risks out there that vigilant gun sheepdogs just willingly ignore as long they can assert their 100% gun-carrying record to everyone who didn’t ask.  

I carry a gun most of the time, but not all of the time.  There are places/times where it’s either not possible, or it’s just more hassle than I deem it to be worth.  I don’t carry a gun when I’m sleeping, I don’t carry a gun in the shower.  I don’t carry a gun on an airplane, unless it’s my own.  I don’t carry a gun when swimming.  I don’t carry a gun inside my own home.  I don’t carry a gun at shooting matches, aside from USPSA where I’d have a competition pistol in a competition holster.  I don’t carry a gun when traveling outside of the USA.  There is a low, but greater than zero chance that I could need a gun in any of those situations, but I accept the risk. Presumably you either do carry in all of them or avoid them entirely.  I also don’t carry a gun while running.  

I live my life on a sort of risk/reward matrix, where I evaluate the risk of any given situation based on the location, time, people involved, etc, and then make a decision and accept the consequences.  So far this system has a 100% success rate.  I’ve been running in my area since early 2008, and aside from twice being chased by small/medium dogs (which I would not have considered shooting), I have never had any sort of trouble whatsoever.  I am much more likely to be hit by a car, suffer a heart attack, break an ankle, or be swarmed by bees than I am to find myself in any situation where a gun would be useful while running.  Your risk of those things is also presumably much higher than your risk of a violent encounter while running, so based on your low tolerance for risk, I’d guess that you avoid running altogether.  If you do carry while running, please describe your carry setup, and also how many miles you run and your typical pace so we can have a better understanding of how it works.  The last time I got into this type of discussion here, it turned out that the guy who wanted to argue the “100% carry” idea didn’t actually run at all, just occasionally walked less than 2 miles.  

But seriously, why would you possibly care where or when I carry?
View Quote

I carry a g19 w/ TLR1 in an Aliengear belly band. I generally run late at night, outside of my neighborhood and sometimes on trails. Usually do anywhere from 10-15 miles a week at about a 10 minute pace because I'm an unenthusiastic runner. My neighbor is notorious for letting his retarded ass trailer sharks out without a leash and they routinely get away from him. Like I implied in my above post though, I see it as little different than insurance.

Everyone's risk assessment is different though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How are the two even related?  Auto insurance protects you financially in the event of an accident, but does nothing to protect you from the physical harm, or even death, that often results from a car accident.  You carry a gun everywhere to protect yourself physically, do you wear a helmet while driving for the same reason?  Why not?  Why are you driving a car at all?  Statistically, it is far more likely that you will be injured or killed in a vehicle related incident than anything that you could have prevented by carrying a gun.
View Quote

You do realize that nobody is that autistic when it comes to ORM. Chill.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You do realize that nobody is that autistic when it comes to ORM. Chill.
View Quote

Lol, just autistic enough to equate carrying a gun while running to having auto insurance while driving!  
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lol, just autistic enough to equate carrying a gun while running to having auto insurance while driving!  
View Quote

That's right!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I carry a g19 w/ TLR1 in an Aliengear belly band. I generally run late at night, outside of my neighborhood and sometimes on trails. Usually do anywhere from 10-15 miles a week at about a 10 minute pace because I'm an unenthusiastic runner.
View Quote

Yeah, that’s not a lot of running.  I could use my HPG kit bag for those distances without too much trouble.  Anything beyond a couple/few miles at a time inevitably ends with chafing, bruising, and major annoyance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, that’s not a lot of running.  I could use my HPG kit bag for those distances without too much trouble.  Anything beyond a couple/few miles at a time inevitably ends with chafing, bruising, and major annoyance.
View Quote

Like I said, unenthusiastic runner.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's not a lot of running.  I could use my HPG kit bag for those distances without too much trouble.  Anything beyond a couple/few miles at a time inevitably ends with chafing, bruising, and major annoyance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry a g19 w/ TLR1 in an Aliengear belly band. I generally run late at night, outside of my neighborhood and sometimes on trails. Usually do anywhere from 10-15 miles a week at about a 10 minute pace because I'm an unenthusiastic runner.

Yeah, that's not a lot of running.  I could use my HPG kit bag for those distances without too much trouble.  Anything beyond a couple/few miles at a time inevitably ends with chafing, bruising, and major annoyance.
Interesting evolution of the thread.   I run 15-30 mi a week. Usually don't carry, but sometimes hit parts of town where I do.  Honestly though, I'm terrible about carrying.  GD would mock the everloving shit out of me.  

Occasionally I do fairly long trail runs where I need to carry significant water, calories and a small first aid/emergency kit.  So I know it is possible to carry more than the weight/bulk of even a full size metal frame gun and actually run.  It does usually lead to chafing and irritation.   Combo of hill people here and running waist band has worked best for me so far.  One issue with a pistol is the density.  It makes it harder to keep from flying around when you are really moving.  

I'd think a trail running hydration vest might work ok.

I haven't had any luck with a camelback type setup as the waist band is too thin and it just bounces  around all over.

In for ideas and discussion.   Commander keen is a serious runner.  Crazy miles.   I listen to what he says in his running thread.   Which reminds me i need to join the 2023 one. But my mileage is way down so I've been avoiding it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I carry a g19 w/ TLR1 in an Aliengear belly band. I generally run late at night, outside of my neighborhood and sometimes on trails. Usually do anywhere from 10-15 miles a week at about a 10 minute pace because I'm an unenthusiastic runner. My neighbor is notorious for letting his retarded ass trailer sharks out without a leash and they routinely get away from him. Like I implied in my above post though, I see it as little different than insurance.

Everyone's risk assessment is different though.
View Quote

Roving trailer sharks are a problem in my neighborhood. I need to het a belly band so I don't get attacked for the third time in my life by trailer sharks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
*snip*
Which reminds me i need to join the 2023 one. But my mileage is way down so I've been avoiding it.
View Quote

Join us! We'll help with the motivation.

Quoted:
Roving trailer sharks are a problem in my neighborhood. I need to het a belly band so I don't get attacked for the third time in my life by trailer sharks.
View Quote

Pepper spray (I recommend a fog pattern for this application) works well and is considerably easier to carry.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I've just been using a cheap Amazon one for the past two years. Not running, but pretty much everyday I go on a 4.5mile walk after work with wifey. I never used to carry because it's a very nice neighborhood or we're back in the mountains, but then some jackasses started holding people up at gunpoint towards the end of the C19 days. I started after that.

I'd love one that isn't velcro, but I haven't found one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you run 3,000 miles a year not many people will chase you. His casual jog is probably 90 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top