Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2019 10:17:25 AM EDT
I’m getting back into running after a long hiatus. Feels great and I’m ready to start being a bit more intentional about mile pace.

What have you used that is budget minded? I don’t need color or anything other than distance/ pace functions. No need to map the route.

For what it’s worth I don’t run with a phone.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Garmin vivoactive 3.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got a couple but always end up using my phone instead.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve got a couple but always end up using my phone instead.
View Quote
Why is that?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a garmin fenix  5 since late 2017. Does more than I know how to use it for. Great watch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Vivoactive HR that has some great multi-sport features. Combined with Garmin Connect on my phone, lots of good data after a workout. If you're serious about HR monitoring, get a chest strap to go with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View Quote
It seems more intuitive and I like the audio updates for distance, time and pace at every mile.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
good thoughts here! Thanks. Anyone have any experience with the Timex Ironman GPS?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
The only watch I have experience with is the Garmin Forerunner 230. So far no real complaints. Once this thing dies I might look into the coros watches, their battery life is super impressive.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've heard mixed things in regard of the accuracy of phone gps. Anyone have experience comparing their device to a true gps watch? Are they pretty close?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've heard mixed things in regard of the accuracy of phone gps. Anyone have experience comparing their device to a true gps watch? Are they pretty close?
View Quote
My iPhone with Nike app is extremely accurate in both time and distance. So accurate that I can actually see things like places where I ran around obstacles on the map afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive been using a TomTom with HR integrated for 4-5 years and its served me well. Not sure if they still make them. It syncs nicely with app on iPhone to track progress. When it finally goes, I'll probably switch to a Garmin
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got no complaints on my Garmin 235. It does what I need it to do. You can also program workouts through Garmin Connect and sync them with your watch. That makes intervals a lot easier when you have a prompt to start sprinting, and a pace alarm to let you know when you're where you need to be.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the Garmin FR45 for a budget option, or for some additional features the Forerunner 235 or (newer) 245.

DC Rainmaker has a ton of quality sports watch reviews.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Started with a Garmin fenix 2, but it died after a couple years. Went with a budget replacement in the form of a garmin forerunner 30. Picked it up at Sams club for $99.
It’s lasted 7 months so far, and I’m very happy with it. I actually like it better than the fenix, for 1/3 the price

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm currently happy with my Garmin 235
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top